Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [7]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Re: TOEFL debrief - 117 [#permalink]
Khushbuv wrote:
Hi,
Can you provide info on how reading is scored? for e.g If i gave 20 correct answers from 39 how much is my total score?
I have been giving practice tests and I am not consistent in reading section :oops: :cry: , speaking is second worry for me. I will be giving the test in few days from now, can you share some advice?

Hi,

For the reading section, you should not think about the number of questions correctly answered but the number of points earned. For each passage, you have a set of questions which are worth 1 point each except for the last question which is worth either 2 or 3 points. Once you add up all your points, then the calculation is quite simple:

Total possible points: 42
Total points earned from correct answers: 35
TOEFL Scaled Score: 35/42*30=25

Since your test date is approaching, you should probably focus on the type of questions that you are struggling the most with and do as many practice tests as you can

On the speaking section, I practiced by recording myself, I think this is the easiest and most effective way to improve yourself quickly, just pick one subject and talk about it, listen to yourself and pinpoint things that you're not happy with in terms of flow, pronunciation, grammar... then try again and again and again and again...
An important thing is to time yourself check out the videos from notefull for that, they are REALLY helpful!

I hope this will help you in your preparation

Good luck

Samir
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your response, I hope so too
Intern
Intern
Send PM
How much the real score is different from the practice tests? could it be less or more?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1329 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Great Score!! congrats! How much time did you spend preparing for the exam?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Khushbuv wrote:
How much the real score is different from the practice tests? could it be less or more?

If you practice using the official tests that are available online (not free though), I think they are pretty close to what you are going to get on d-day. To give you an idea, I purchased two tests (one as part of the TOEFL package) and I scored 114 and 116. So I guess these practice tests are a good proxy for your real score
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nelz007 wrote:
Great Score!! congrats! How much time did you spend preparing for the exam?

Hi,

I took the test on October 13th and registered 2 months before that.

Looking back at it, I think it all depends on your level, your target and how much time you can allocate every day (week) to the preparation of the test. I've read stories of people that prepared for 1/2 days and got a great score (and I heard some bad stories too)

Hope this helps

Samir
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Samirc2..post the urls giving spaces in between..like www . google . com
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
shirley13 wrote:

Hi thanks for the tip, here are the links that I wanted to post as part of my debrief

Preparation - General Tips

The TOEFL Planner (Free): www .ets. org /c/13910/index .html

The TOEFL Quick Prep Test (Free): www. ets. org /toefl / ibt / prepare/

Listening:

-> Free Conversations & Lectures:www. english-test .net /toefl/ listening/

Speaking:

-> Templates: gmatclub .com /forum /templates-tfl-94210 .html

-> Notefull Website (Useful Videos for speaking & writing & Free Speaking and Writing Review): https: //www. notefull .com/ content .php? pgID=293

-> Official TOEFL videos on Youtube: www. youtube .com / user/ TOEFLtv

Hope this helps

Samir
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Samirc2 wrote:
shirley13 wrote:

Hi thanks for the tip, here are the links that I wanted to post as part of my debrief

The TOEFL Planner (Free): www .ets. org /c/13910/index .html

The TOEFL Quick Prep Test (Free): www. ets. org /toefl / ibt / prepare/

Listening:

-> Free Conversations & Lectures:www. english-test .net /toefl/ listening/

Speaking:

-> Templates: gmatclub .com /forum /templates-tfl-94210 .html

-> Notefull Website (Useful Videos for speaking & writing & Free Speaking and Writing Review): https: //www. notefull .com/ content .php? pgID=293

-> Official TOEFL videos on Youtube: www. youtube .com / user/ TOEFLtv

Hope this helps

Samir

This is the question i wanted to ask..:D

thanks for such a nice debrief...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Can you provide info on how reading is scored?

--------------------------------------------------------
WoW gold|Diablo 3 Gold|WoW Gold Kaufen
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ykfdf wrote:
Can you provide info on how reading is scored?

Hi,

I am not sure whether you are asking about

(i) the way the TOEFL scores the reading part: in that case, you can refer to the TOEFL to the Official Guide - it provides you with a scale (p. 421) to convert your raw score: correct questions/total questions to scaled score (/30)

(ii) the way the reading part works: basically you have 3/4 reading passages with 13 questions at the end of each passage, all questions are worth one point except the last one which is worth 2 or 3 points

Hope this help

Let me know if you have any further questions

Sam

--------------------------------------------------------
WoW gold|Diablo 3 Gold|WoW Gold Kaufen
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Quote:
One is provided if you buy a TOEFL pack, if you need to buy more it will cost you USD 45 each

Samirc2, is the test provided if you buy a TOEFL pack a full-length test? I got one free upon registration but it wasn't complete (shortened version).
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
WantGMAT800 wrote:
Quote:
One is provided if you buy a TOEFL pack, if you need to buy more it will cost you USD 45 each

Samirc2, is the test provided if you buy a TOEFL pack a full-length test? I got one free upon registration but it wasn't complete (shortened version).
Thanks!

Hi,

When you buy a TOEFL value pack (http :// www . ets . org / toefl / ibt / prepare / valuepacks? WT . ac= toeflhome_valuepacks_121127), you got a free full length test. It seems that ets is running a promotion now, so full-length tests are going for USD 27 vs. USD 45

Hope that answered your question

Samir
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Samirc2 wrote:
WantGMAT800 wrote:
Quote:

Thanks!

Hi,

When you buy a TOEFL value pack (http :// www . ets . org / toefl / ibt / prepare / valuepacks? WT . ac= toeflhome_valuepacks_121127), you got a free full length test. It seems that ets is running a promotion now, so full-length tests are going for USD 27 vs. USD 45

Hope that answered your question

Samir

Yes, it did. Thanks!
Could you please also give a short background of yours in terms of English language exposure?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[/quote]
Yes, it did. Thanks!
Could you please also give a short background of yours in terms of English language exposure?[/quote]

Sure, I have been working for 3 years in an English speaking environment, I believe it really did have an impact on my speaking skills. I had to improve my writing too. I am still improving both

Also, I've been listening for quite some time now to US artists and I've been watching TV shows/films too (w/o subtitles), so that helped me ace the comprehension part of the TOEFL (i.e. reading/listening)

Samir
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Samirc2 wrote:
Sure, I have been working for 3 years in an English speaking environment, I believe it really did have an impact on my speaking skills. I had to improve my writing too. I am still improving both
Also, I've been listening for quite some time now to US artists and I've been watching TV shows/films too (w/o subtitles), so that helped me ace the comprehension part of the TOEFL (i.e. reading/listening)
Samir

I see, thanks! I'm also interested in tips regarding Reading and Listening part. Do you have any beyond what you described in you debrief? The reason I'm asking is that I scored 28 on Reading - and I'd like to get 30. As to listening part this was a very frustrating experience - I scored 24. This is so weird because I was scoring 27-29 during my practice tests and I had no troubles understanding conversations and lectures content. I found questions to be overwhelmingly vague and two of 4 answers almost similar. Any suggestions here?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
WantGMAT800 wrote:
Samirc2 wrote:
Samir

I see, thanks! I'm also interested in tips regarding Reading and Listening part. Do you have any beyond what you described in you debrief? The reason I'm asking is that I scored 28 on Reading - and I'd like to get 30. As to listening part this was a very frustrating experience - I scored 24. This is so weird because I was scoring 27-29 during my practice tests and I had no troubles understanding conversations and lectures content. I found questions to be overwhelmingly vague and two of 4 answers almost similar. Any suggestions here?

From my experience, I think you would get a 30 vs a 28 if you can ace the inference questions and get the last dreadful questions right. Those are the two things I struggled with during my preparation. For inference questions, it requires practice I guess, for the last question, I believe I kind of touch on that in my first post.

For the listening part, you just need to familiarize yourself with the American accent. Taking notes did not really helped me during the exam, I just tried to memorize information and write down dates and some key facts, maybe you could listen to short interviews, news reports and try to memorize as much info as you can. Then ask yourself questions like: what was this news about? the main subject? the place? why were they covering that?...

Samir
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4380 posts