Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE:Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ttnguyen wrote:
GPT55 wrote:
Submitted right around the deadline... OK it's my mistake but I think I hit the submit button after 5 p.m. However since I was logged in the whole way the application system (and thus the application review pdf) says it's R2. Thoughts? :oops:

have you tried emailing the adcom team? i've followed up on my app and received a response. it sounds like it should be fine though!!

I second this... when in doubt...
The Adcom teams are usually pretty helpful in these stress moments.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Account Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
GPT55 wrote:
Submitted right around the deadline... OK it's my mistake but I think I hit the submit button after 5 p.m. However since I was logged in the whole way the application system (and thus the application review pdf) says it's R2. Thoughts? :oops:

Don't worry, GPT55. Same situation here. I submitted at around 5:10 p.m. I emailed the adcom to ask and the adcom said my application would be reviewed in R2.

By the way, I saw so many applicants from non-profit sector applying to Yale SOM on this thread. I don't know whether Yale's appetite for finance guys like me will increase this year. :(
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Equil1briuM wrote:
By the way, I saw so many applicants from non-profit sector applying to Yale SOM on this thread. I don't know whether Yale's appetite for finance guys like me will increase this year. :(

I wouldn't worry there. When I interviewed, there were a bunch of people with a finance background or looking to go into finance. I also know some people who didn't really consider Yale as they thought it was just a "finance school", so perspectives/stereotypes vary widely.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
gsmon wrote:
I'd like some advice from current Yale SOM students.

How important do you think it is to visit Yale in person from the ad-com's perspective? Some schools such as Tuck and Fuqua place a big emphasis on visiting in person.

I've been trying to visit Yale for a while but their visit calendar is booked until February and I don't want to apply if not visiting the school will lower my chances of getting in.

Thanks for your input.

I didn't visit, unnecessary. BUTTT, you gotta explain why you think you can live/flourish in New Haven/Yale.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Equil1briuM wrote:
GPT55 wrote:

Don't worry, GPT55. Same situation here. I submitted at around 5:10 p.m. I emailed the adcom to ask and the adcom said my application would be reviewed in R2.

I was applying with a pure motivation to get into finance and made that clear in my essays. You are fine.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
so intensed
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Kudos
Equil1briuM wrote:

I'll second what aerian said. At my interview I was the only non-profit person there. I also wanted to add that they're growing the class size (up to 350 in 2017), and my interpretation of what I've heard Dean Snyder say is that the increase will primarily be in the corporate sector. This way, they'll maintain a strong non-profit focus with a cohort whose size will remain pretty static. On the other hand, they will go on to add more students from finance, consulting, etc. in order to lure corporate recruiters to campus knowing they'll have more students to recruit from. Hopefully this scenario creates a win-win for everyone.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
machichi wrote:
Equil1briuM wrote:

I'll second what aerian said. At my interview I was the only non-profit person there. I also wanted to add that they're growing the class size (up to 350 in 2017), and my interpretation of what I've heard Dean Snyder say is that the increase will primarily be in the corporate sector. This way, they'll maintain a strong non-profit focus with a cohort whose size will remain pretty static. On the other hand, they will go on to add more students from finance, consulting, etc. in order to lure corporate recruiters to campus knowing they'll have more students to recruit from. Hopefully this scenario creates a win-win for everyone.

i had a completely different experience. during my campus visit i was the only one out of 10-15 prospective students who was interested in finance. it really does seem like a lot of people who are applying to Yale have a non-profit / social entrepreneurship focus but from my conversation with an alum and also looking at their admission stats, there's almost no appreciable difference between the no. of people who go into traditional finance/consulting vs. that at other top schools. so i wouldn't worry about being the odd one out and if anything, being different is always a good thing in the admissions game! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
Based on last year's thread, should we start seeing the first of the interview invites this week? Anyone have any perspective on how the timing of the invites works? I'm guessing the earlier invites are for individuals that turned in applications earlier?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
dougdoug wrote:
Based on last year's thread, should we start seeing the first of the interview invites this week? Anyone have any perspective on how the timing of the invites works? I'm guessing the earlier invites are for individuals that turned in applications earlier?

If the first round posts are any indication, it looks like interview invites could indeed start going out this week. Someone earlier on this thread also mentioned that applications are reviewed and interview invites are sent out at varying times because applications are reviewed randomly (not necessarily the order they were received).

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Just received the invite for an interview! Any interview insight or tips? Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE:Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Received an interview invite as well! (International applicant)

Would also be happy to learn about any experiences. Is there any difference between an on-campus and off-campus interview?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Nodding off at work and then the interview invite came--definitely wide awake now!

Good luck to everyone else :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Just got an interview invite - first of the season

Wooo
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Send PM
Kudos
OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE! I was invited for interview!

Ok, deep breath

Will I be in disadvantage if I can't go to an on-campus interview? (I am an international prospective)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Congratulations to those who received invites today!! Go celebrate for a bit and then remember to think about why you want to go to Yale (what makes SOM a good fit for you, what unique characteristics does the program offer you and in turn, what can you offer it..).

If you're international I highly doubt they'd penalize you for not visiting campus. Though if you do make the trek, you'll definitely show them you like SOM! Ultimately, it's your decision based on your schedule and your finances for the flight, hotel, etc.

To those still waiting, sit tight. R1 invites went out pretty randomly for about 4-6 weeks or so.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
Best of luck with your interviews everyone!!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  24   25   26   27   28   29   30  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts