Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
WE:Account Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Club's Health & Fitness Thread [#permalink]
georgepaul0071987 wrote:
Has anyone got a six pack just by controlling their diet with little/no exercise ?

definitely doable it will just take you longer. I lost 40 pounds over 6 months (was a football player that had some excess weight) while studying for the gmat and I believe it hurt my studying as I was not always able to eat what I wanted/when I wanted. I am going to tone it down and get back up to 205 and see how my studying improves.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72867 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes, I think you want to minimize your distractions during studying/prep and limiting your food intake (hunger) would get in the way.

I do see benefit, however, from doing a tredmill or some activity (that rushes your blood around the body and makes you sweat a bit) for half an hour a day - it gets me wired for hours after that. i wish I would have discovered it earlier.
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
georgepaul0071987 wrote:
Has anyone got a six pack just by controlling their diet with little/no exercise ?

Depends if you want a six-pack that's nothing more than being scrawny and having low bodyfat (i.e. being 6ft tall and 150lbs with 6% bodyfat), or having one on a body that's built like an athlete.

The first one is pretty easy--basically just starve yourself. Not particularly good for fitness or long-term health though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
emont wrote:
georgepaul0071987 wrote:

Depends if you want a six-pack that's nothing more than being scrawny and having low bodyfat (i.e. being 6ft tall and 150lbs with 6% bodyfat), or having one on a body that's built like an athlete.

The first one is pretty easy--basically just starve yourself. Not particularly good for fitness or long-term health though.

Most people miss out on one of the keys to getting visible abs. You have to grow that muscle group just like with any other muscle group. If you want large biceps, you do a lot of curls. If you want a six pack, you need to do a lot of WEIGHTED exercises. You can also get a six pack by just doing very heavy compound lifts and effectively utilizing your core. The last and final step is that if you want a visible six pack, you need to have extremely low body fat. Each of these is mandatory. Doing a bunch of situps won't cut it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
jtrem wrote:
georgepaul0071987 wrote:

definitely doable it will just take you longer. I lost 40 pounds over 6 months (was a football player that had some excess weight) while studying for the gmat and I believe it hurt my studying as I was not always able to eat what I wanted/when I wanted. I am going to tone it down and get back up to 205 and see how my studying improves.

I agree :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
nice to see that there are non-nerds on this forum...(just kidding)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [0]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Swoosh617 wrote:
Here's another question I kinda wanted to throw out there. For those of you who work out but have had some significant injuries through sports or accidents or whatever, have you guys recovered to pretty much 100% or do you keep some limitations in mind when working out. Especially those with like knee or shoulder injuries, those joints, sometimes I have that fear that I might just blow the part out again if I go too hard

I had twisted my ankle while playing badminton (no treadmill or weights for about 10 days) and badly injured my finger during Throwball so no weights or push ups for few days.Its best to ask your doctor or instructor things vary depending on the severity of your injury and general health. FYI you can be asked not to work out for a few days w/o being injured if your Hb (hemoglobin) levels are low or you have deficiency of certain essential dietary elements.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4890 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
georgepaul0071987 wrote:

If you want a six-pack, you MUST have a physic to sostain it.
In my personal experience however diet comes first and the rules are simple: control and limit carbs as much as you can (no bread, pasta, pizza), no alcohol, eat 5 times a day (you don't want your body to enter a starving mode, your metabolism must run 24h a day), and eat enough proteins ( i recommend Whey).

If you can follow those rules and you train your core 1-2 times a week as you train every other muscle, in 1 year time (again, based on my experience) you shold be able to see your six-pack.
Really all is based on your dedication: it will take time...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Glad to find health section here and hope these healthy tips will help someone to lead active and healthy lifestyle. We must exercise regularly and have a balanced diet meal plan to lose and maintain extra body weight and to prevent from major health disease.

Sickness Insurance

Originally posted by Carrick on 21 Jun 2013, 05:55.
Last edited by Carrick on 21 Dec 2013, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anyone here have experience/knowledge with ACL tears or other knee injuries? I'd love to chat sometime...might have done something really stupid to myself :/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Project Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
aerien wrote:
Anyone here have experience/knowledge with ACL tears or other knee injuries? I'd love to chat sometime...might have done something really stupid to myself :/

That sucks man, n having had 2 knee injuries myself I know its not a good feeling. I had a sprained acl in my right knee 3 years ago playing basketball and then tore it last year playing football(aussie rules) for which i needed surgery. What did you do?? I'm assuming/hoping its not a tear cos you'd know it straight away if it is and its not pretty.
n how did i not know about a health n fitness thread on gmatclub:)
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
daddyv wrote:
aerien wrote:

That sucks man, n having had 2 knee injuries myself I know its not a good feeling. I had a sprained acl in my right knee 3 years ago playing basketball and then tore it last year playing football(aussie rules) for which i needed surgery. What did you do?? I'm assuming/hoping its not a tear cos you'd know it straight away if it is and its not pretty.

Thanks, man. I'll message you the details, but I figure if I can still sort of walk almost a week out, then it shouldn't be a tear (at least I really hope not!)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aerien wrote:
daddyv wrote:
aerien wrote:

Thanks, man. I'll message you the details, but I figure if I can still sort of walk almost a week out, then it shouldn't be a tear (at least I really hope not!)

It could still be a tear cos there's different levels...but yeh it probably is sprained or bruised. I'd still recommend visiting a physio if the knee isn't stable when ur walking
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EBM wrote:
georgepaul0071987 wrote:

I concur....starving yourself and doing a few sit ups a day might give u a 6-pack, but is that what u really want?? also thats not healthy at all and difficult to sustain unless u wanna starve yourself long-term which would make you miserable imo. If u wanna be built like an athlete tho u have to work on all muscle groups, eat a lot and preferably do some sort of cardio. You dont have to go overboard, an hour-ish of workout time a day is enough if you do it right n stay disciplined with your diet.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aalba005 wrote:
Swoosh617 wrote:
Here's another question I kinda wanted to throw out there. For those of you who work out but have had some significant injuries through sports or accidents or whatever, have you guys recovered to pretty much 100% or do you keep some limitations in mind when working out. Especially those with like knee or shoulder injuries, those joints, sometimes I have that fear that I might just blow the part out again if I go too hard

Significant as in requiring surgery? I have stretched by left shoulder (no heavy shoulder work for 4 weeks), stretched my wrists (no heavy pulls for 3 weeks), and stretched my upper knee (no squats/deadlifts for 4 weeks).

After proper self rehab and stretching routine to restrengthen I have been able to get back and exceed past weight.

Not sure how I would respond to a full tear though.

I think tweaking something is very different from a significant injury. I had a knee injury which required surgery-- 6 months after, I was able to run n started doing some lifting again but it just didnt feel right(esp with explosive motions) and 9 months since I'm still not doing quite what i used to. I would def stay cautious and continue to focus on getting that knee/shoulder stronger before going all out. You dont wanna push yourself too hard and re-injure it, thats not smart...n i know it can be frustrating cos i was literally seeing the muscle in my legs just waste away but you gotta be patient and keep at it...dont rush!!
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
daddyv wrote:
aerien wrote:
daddyv wrote:

It could still be a tear cos there's different levels...but yeh it probably is sprained or bruised. I'd still recommend visiting a physio if the knee isn't stable when ur walking

daddyv, I've been told I'll survive in 1 piece! Just have to take it easy for awhile.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
What are everyone's thoughts on the best extracurricular sport that doesn't involve a team/varsity ex: marathon running etc...

At the moment I'm a bodybuilder, but I'll never get to a level where I would compete, so I'm looking for alternatives that would look extra-ordinary on an application.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8