Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [12]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [1]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [0]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Re: If the Metropolitan Museum of Art had not decided to display together [#permalink]
PraPon wrote:
Only difference between A vs. B is "prints that have made up" & "prints that make up" construction.

(A) If the Metropolitan Museum of Art had not decided to display together the 34 paintings, 58 works on paper, two sculptures and sundry items including prints that have made up its Picasso collection
-- "prints that have made up its Picasso collection" is incorrect. There is no need of present perfect tense with past verb. The 'Prints' still make up the Picasso collection. Hence simple present tense is appropriate

(B) If the Metropolitan Museum of Art had not decided to display together the 34 paintings, 58 works on paper, two sculptures and sundry items including prints that make up its Picasso collection
"prints that make up its Picasso" is correctly using simple present tense stating these prints are still (at present) part of Picasso collection.

Hence choice(B) is the answer.

more simple (and among all the answer choices) that make up its Picasso collection is the only tense that make sense for the overall structure of the sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Re: If the Metropolitan Museum of Art had not decided to display together [#permalink]
Can we have discussion on A vs B?
How the present perfect distorts the sentence?

If the Metropolitan Museum of Art had not decided to display together the 34 paintings, 58 works on paper, two sculptures and sundry items including prints that have made up its Picasso collection, some truths and questions about the most important figure of 20th century Western art might not have been aired.

A) If the Metropolitan Museum of Art had not decided to display together the 34 paintings, 58 works on paper, two sculptures and sundry items including prints that have made up its Picasso collection

B) If the Metropolitan Museum of Art had not decided to display together the 34 paintings, 58 works on paper, two sculptures and sundry items including prints that make up its Picasso collection

C) If the Metropolitan Museum of Art would not have decided to display together the 34 paintings, 58 works on paper, two sculptures and sundry items including prints, that make up its Picasso collection

D)If the Metropolitan Museum of Art would not have decided to display together the 34 paintings, 58 works on paper, two sculptures and sundry items including prints that have made up its Picasso collection

E) If the Metropolitan Museum of Art had decided to display together the 34 paintings, 58 works on paper, two sculptures and sundry items including prints, making up its Picasso collection

Here,
I was also confused between would not have decided and had not decided. (It will help if anyone can clarify this.) So, I sought for other errors. Sentence has If X, Y construction.
I would shorten the sentence by skipping the modifiers for a moment as below.
If the Museum had not decided X, Y and Z, some truths and questions might not have been aired. Correct.

To discuss between A and B, The confusion lies between simple present sentence Or simple perfect tense.
A uses prints that have made up its Picasso collection.
B uses prints that make up its Picasso collection

It is the fact that is true not only in past but also in present. Present perfect used for actions completed in the past. So, Usage of simple present tense is correct one.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
this good question make us choose between A and B, or between simple present and present perfect

I review grammar book a little bit. this point is very basic and person who learn english well can do this question easily

simple present show an condition which is thought to exist indefinitely. in constrast, present perfect which show an action which is finished at the point in past but its time frame prolong from past to present, or an action began in the past and prolong to present.
in the case present perfect show a finished action, its time frame is unfinished and it go with unfinised time word such as this month, this year.... this case show that finished action presented by present perfect is relevant to present. I have learn english this week. this mean that this week I have to learn english and I have done my job for this week. the time frame is from the past to present. honestly, i see that meaning in this case of present perfect is hard. mechanically we can remember that a finished action go with unfinished time word or with no time words is used with present perfect.

differentiating present simple and present perfect is the key to understanding simple past and past perfect, the key to understanding all basic tenses in gmat.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 287
GMAT 1: 610 Q41 V35
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
Marcab wrote:
If the Metropolitan Museum of Art had not decided to display together the 34 paintings, 58 works on paper, two sculptures and sundry items including prints that have made up its Picasso collection, some truths and questions about the most important figure of 20th century Western art might not have been aired.

A) If the Metropolitan Museum of Art had not decided to display together the 34 paintings, 58 works on paper, two sculptures and sundry items including prints that have made up its Picasso collection

B) If the Metropolitan Museum of Art had not decided to display together the 34 paintings, 58 works on paper, two sculptures and sundry items including prints that make up its Picasso collection

C) If the Metropolitan Museum of Art would not have decided to display together the 34 paintings, 58 works on paper, two sculptures and sundry items including prints, that make up its Picasso collection

D) If the Metropolitan Museum of Art would not have decided to display together the 34 paintings, 58 works on paper, two sculptures and sundry items including prints that have made up its Picasso collection

E) If the Metropolitan Museum of Art had decided to display together the 34 paintings, 58 works on paper, two sculptures and sundry items including prints, making up its Picasso collection

Can we have discussion on A vs B?
How the present perfect distorts the sentence?

Bunuel
there is not comma before that in B. so doesn't that mean "that " is modifying just the sundry items. but in C since there is comma before that it modifies the whole list. As the whole list was part of the collection
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts