Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [2]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Kellogg/Tuck/Yale SOM/Darden ($)/Tepper ($)/Chicago WL [#permalink]
Kudos
At this point, process of elimination may be the best method. I don't know you, but it just sounds like you've got too many reservations about Tuck. That eliminates them. I noticed you applied to Johnson RD2? Since it sounds like you're going to go with one of your round 1 admits, I would withdraw your application from there and save everyone some time - Ithaca is a small town and probably not your cup of tea. I'd withdraw Sloan too: you don't sound excited about the school/program. I understand you applied there to cast a wide net, but now that you have admits in your hands, they don't sound like a finalist.

The only reason Tepper seems to be here is money, and money should be the tie-breaker, not the primary factor. I'd cross it off based on where it stands on the prestige ladder. Darden too: Charlottesville isn't exactly a sprawling metropolis and DC is two hours away. At least.

It sounds like you're holding out for Booth. I can't fault you for that, but IMO, if you're staying on a WL, it's because it's a no-brainer no.1 choice, not just another option.

It looks like Kellogg is the winner by attrition. Wait until March to put your deposit down in case Booth comes calling. Make plans to live in Evanston/Chicago. And if Booth comes in at the 11th hour? I think you could still take it even if you've already moved because its in the same area. It's not like moving to Chicago and having HBS tell you they have a spot open in August. That would be a logistical nightmare.

Best of luck - you've got a great problem to have.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
THREADJACK ALERT
Have you decided between SOM and Kellogg?

I"m still leaning toward Yale, but I am also considering making a trip to the admit weekends to feel things out again. Even though I'm pretty certain what my final decision will be, saying no to Kellogg is just so hard to swallow. It feels wrong to eliminate an option that would be a great choice in the end. I'm quite sympathetic to Risky's situation since he's choosing between way more options, which is probably exponentially more difficult. I am going to be reaching out to the schools to get in touch with people who are pursuing careers in youth education post-MBA. And I also plan on attending the regional social events to get another feel.

riskylvrg wrote:
I am actually really surprised that only 1 person voted for SOM - in my mind it's a phenomenal school.

And I wasn't even the one who voted for it! Since I haven't officially made my decision, I feel ill-equipped to make recommendations for someone else. Though, it's always easier to give others recommendations...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
riskylvrg wrote:

That's what scares me - a question to current Tuckies - Do a lot of people come to Tuck with "baggage"?

I am a prospective and not a current Tuckie, but in response to your question: it seems so! I visited Tuck in early November and met/socialized with several students over the course of 2 days. The majority of the people I met were either married or found a way to mention they were in a serious relationship, so your concerns are valid. Honestly, I'd hate to spend two cold years alone in Hanover lol. Considering the school has a small population to begin with, once you factor in the number of students who come in with "baggage" I can't help but think single Tuckies would be in the minority of the student body. With that being said, I certainly didn't meet every single student at Tuck and my experience could have been atypical - just an observation.

Anywho, I am applying in the January round and Tuck is still my first choice. I'll worry about the dating scene (or lack thereof) once I have an admit. Good luck with your decision!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.45
WE:Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
machichi wrote:
CobraKai wrote:
THREADJACK ALERT
Have you decided between SOM and Kellogg?

I"m still leaning toward Yale, but I am also considering making a trip to the admit weekends to feel things out again. Even though I'm pretty certain what my final decision will be, saying no to Kellogg is just so hard to swallow. It feels wrong to eliminate an option that would be a great choice in the end. I'm quite sympathetic to Risky's situation since he's choosing between way more options, which is probably exponentially more difficult. I am going to be reaching out to the schools to get in touch with people who are pursuing careers in youth education post-MBA. And I also plan on attending the regional social events to get another feel.

riskylvrg wrote:
I am actually really surprised that only 1 person voted for SOM - in my mind it's a phenomenal school.

And I wasn't even the one who voted for it! Since I haven't officially made my decision, I feel ill-equipped to make recommendations for someone else. Though, it's always easier to give others recommendations...

Agreed. Despite the rankings Yale SOM is an amazing program! also I wouldn't discount the $ you are getting from Darden/Tepper. Not sure if its worth spending $100K++ for Kellogg. I am not sure if this applies to your post-MBA industry but I hear once you put in the scholarship on your resume, it should land you at least an interview with the top firms.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NA

Originally posted by breakthelaw on 26 Dec 2012, 08:27.
Last edited by breakthelaw on 05 Mar 2013, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
It sounds like your mind is pretty much made up now :).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NA

Originally posted by breakthelaw on 26 Dec 2012, 09:13.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
riskylvrg wrote:
Hello all,

first of all, thank you for all of your support through the last two years - it has been so important to know that there are other people going through the same struggles.

After an unfortunate failure last year - HBS/ Wharton/ Columbia/ NYU and Chicago dings - I decided to retake the GMAT and cast my net wider. I scored in the low 700s, got a new banking job and rewrote my essays from scratch. I am a white 30 year old male, 3.6 GPA from a top US school and lots of international experience.

Having failed miserably once I reapplied to 12 schools in R1 this time, here is the outcome:

- Dings: Wharton, Columbia (w/ interview)
- Waitlist: Chicago
- Admitted: Kellogg, Tuck, Yale, Darden and Tepper (50% scholarship)
- Interviews conducted no result so far: MIT, Johnson (late interview for R2), Duke
- Waiting on Stern

It took me 18 months of really hard work to get where I am at now; combined with working 80+ hours a week as a banking analyst I am exhausted but happy that it worked out. At the same time, I am absolutely not sure which school to choose, I was just hoping to get an admit, just one, given how miserably I failed last year. My professional goal is to switch from IBD to PE/VC/Hedge fund/ buy side in general, hopefully in NYC or an equally diverse city - Chicago/ Boston/ SF/ LA come to mind. I am single, so I'd love to be around other single people, go out and date; my personal life is very important to me as IBD left me virtually no time for extracurricular activities and a buy side firm will probably be IBDx2 all over again. The schools are all amazing for different reasons:

- Kellogg: great student culture, close to a big city, tight network, great recruiting (albeit not finance centered which could be an advantage - more for me), fun single classmates (from what I have heard), so an opportunity to really network and get to know a lot of people
- Tuck: amazing program that offers a full immersion, close to Boston, so buy side opportunities, legendary network (tested myself - they reply within minutes), an opportunity to really get to know your classmates, ivy league swagger and great skiing
- Yale: a lot of buzz around the program, I personally felt it, integrated curriculum sounds innovative and exciting, close to NYC (proximity matters for buy side jobs), helpful and down to earth students, amazing facilities just in time for 2013.
- Darden: a really rigorous program, case method makes it so much more engaging, fun classmates, close knit community
- Tepper: great admission package (50%), really rigorous quant program, tightly knit student body, a really inexpensive city that feels bigger than it is
- Chicago: Chicago, Chicago I thought this time will be the time, but you failed me once again - really rigorous quant program, finance focus and a ton of finance classes, flexible curriculum, in a great large city. Have made strong progress professionally, so could make a difference during a WL process.

I'd like to make a decision some time soon and keep making arrangements, look for a pre-MBA summer internship, apply for scholarships and allow other students to be taken off WL and get accepted in R2 and R3 as any of these schools would be a solid choice for anyone.

Please comment on what you think would work best for my career and personal goals. If you have questions on a "rebranding" strategy after a failure to get admitted - feel free to send me a personal message.

Congrats on all the admits!
Given that there are so many schools, have you considered or worked on a "decision matrix" and put in all the criteria you listed? you could even add weights to the criteria that matters most, and then you could just score each school and see which one comes out with the highest score.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NA

Originally posted by breakthelaw on 09 Jan 2013, 19:06.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [2]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Pardon my bias, but Tuckies aren't crazy :) Of course you get a few weird ones in every batch, but I think that's to be expected.
Full disclosure: my final decision was between Booth and Tuck, and I'm enjoying the woods.

Tuck is extremely social, and that's because of the location. We don't have Chicago or Boston or NYC, but that also means that Tuckies are fairly "all in" because we can't maintain our BOS/CHI/NYC social circles each weekend because it's too far away.

Per the dating scenario, us ladies have found that in our class, TONS of the men are partnered, and almost none of the women are. Less awesome for me than for you.

All these pro-tuck thoughts aside, reading this thread it doesn't seem like you're that into Tuck (thats ok, its not for everyone). Very few people settle for Tuck, its almost never a rational count up the pro's and con's kind of decision, but rather an emotional one that brings people to Hanover.
Happy to answer any other questions.

riskylvrg wrote:
Or it could be a huge mistake. I do want to end up in NYC - I love, love, love New York but I grew up in a small town (albeit not as small as Hanover) and the thought of a very limited social interaction terrifies me - I am super social - but then getting "tuck-ed" away with 300 of your best friends doesn't sound as bad at all.

That's what scares me - a question to current Tuckies - Do a lot of people come to Tuck with "baggage"? I remember my interview at Tuck and I met some pretty cool applicants that could totally understand where I was coming from and kept teasing me about Hanover. Until I came across this dude who claimed that his dream is to get a hut somewhere in the woods and stay there through his MBA. Creepy.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
NA

Originally posted by breakthelaw on 18 Jan 2013, 13:44.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
riskylvrg wrote:

machichi wrote:
I think you're totally right that it will be easier to date if you go there. But, easier doesn't actually mean feasible. I hate to burst that bubble, but you're going to be way too busy to date, especially if you go to a school as sociable as Kellogg.

You are 100% correct. I just have this notion that b-school will be some sort of vacation as compared to a banking job. I'm probably gonna be just as busy.

At the same time, I'd love an option to go out and grab a drink with friends or go bar hopping once the finals are taken care of. Not really meant it in a "snuggle on the couch watching reruns of Lost" type of way.

You will be just as busy but it's a different kind of busy. I'd say 90% of what's on your calendar is stuff you actually want to do. Yes, it does feel hectic, but it also feel energizing as well.

As for dating in b-school, trust me when I say that people make time for whole lots of it. At Booth people were coupled up before Thanksgiving. What you have to remember is that MBA programs are the perfect petri dishes for mating. You have smart, attractive, driven people spending exorbitant amounts of time together drowning in copious amounts of alcohol. Many a night of poor life choices often lead to decent dating relationships.

Originally posted by Shawshank on 18 Jan 2013, 15:22.
Last edited by Shawshank on 19 Jan 2013, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ChloeStar wrote:
riskylvrg wrote:

That's what scares me - a question to current Tuckies - Do a lot of people come to Tuck with "baggage"?

I am a prospective and not a current Tuckie, but in response to your question: it seems so! I visited Tuck in early November and met/socialized with several students over the course of 2 days. The majority of the people I met were either married or found a way to mention they were in a serious relationship, so your concerns are valid. Honestly, I'd hate to spend two cold years alone in Hanover lol. Considering the school has a small population to begin with, once you factor in the number of students who come in with "baggage" I can't help but think single Tuckies would be in the minority of the student body. With that being said, I certainly didn't meet every single student at Tuck and my experience could have been atypical - just an observation.

Anywho, I am applying in the January round and Tuck is still my first choice. I'll worry about the dating scene (or lack thereof) once I have an admit. Good luck with your decision!

Originally posted by Shawshank on 18 Jan 2013, 15:28.
Last edited by Shawshank on 19 Jan 2013, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
OP, unless you get off the booth waitlist or get into mit, kellogg is the obvious choice. Their finance is pretty solid, and they do reasonably well in PE although weaker in hedge funds and investment management. I've also heard great things about their asset management practicum.

Tuck is awesome, and on a per capita basis, i think it's a bit better than kellogg for buyside jobs, but given your social concerns, it seems like your heart is just not in it. My best friend is at kellogg, and i hung out with him and his classmates a lot. They are VERY social, go out into chicago all the time, and plenty of dating. He actually met his girlfriend during the KWEST trip, and there's a good chance they will get married!

Yale is just not there yet. Yes, snyder is an awesome dean, and the new building looks incredible. But it's still a young b-school with a small finance network, and their reputation is still in the nascent stages. I seriously considered applying to yale this year, but i realized that i don't want to go into debt for an MBA program that is still "rising." I want to pay for an established platform rather than gamble on the prospect that yale's reputation will somehow catch up and pay dividends in the future. Actually, people have been talking about yale being the next "hot" school for like the past 5 years. Not quite sure it will ever get there.

Darden and Tepper are very weak for what you want to do. You should not even consider those schools, despite their scholarships since money doesn't matter too much in the long-term.

Best of luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
Pardon my bias, but Tuckies aren't crazy :) Of course you get a few weird ones in every batch, but I think that's to be expected.
Full disclosure: my final decision was between Booth and Tuck, and I'm enjoying the woods.

Tuck is extremely social, and that's because of the location. We don't have Chicago or Boston or NYC, but that also means that Tuckies are fairly "all in" because we can't maintain our BOS/CHI/NYC social circles each weekend because it's too far away.

Per the dating scenario, us ladies have found that in our class, TONS of the men are partnered, and almost none of the women are. Less awesome for me than for you.

All these pro-tuck thoughts aside, reading this thread it doesn't seem like you're that into Tuck (thats ok, its not for everyone). Very few people settle for Tuck, its almost never a rational count up the pro's and con's kind of decision, but rather an emotional one that brings people to Hanover.
Happy to answer any other questions.

riskylvrg wrote:
Or it could be a huge mistake. I do want to end up in NYC - I love, love, love New York but I grew up in a small town (albeit not as small as Hanover) and the thought of a very limited social interaction terrifies me - I am super social - but then getting "tuck-ed" away with 300 of your best friends doesn't sound as bad at all.

That's what scares me - a question to current Tuckies - Do a lot of people come to Tuck with "baggage"? I remember my interview at Tuck and I met some pretty cool applicants that could totally understand where I was coming from and kept teasing me about Hanover. Until I came across this dude who claimed that his dream is to get a hut somewhere in the woods and stay there through his MBA. Creepy.

Originally posted by Shawshank on 18 Jan 2013, 22:07.
Last edited by Shawshank on 19 Jan 2013, 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Dating in a close knit community like Tuck, where the news spreads really fast? :? Cities could give you (some) level of privacy.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts