Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Hey All, I have a bit of an business school application etiquette question. I applied to and was accepted by three schools; however, I have already ruled one out.

For the school I ruled out, I have contacts from that school reaching out to me to offer congratulations and offering to meet up or talk. I feel it would be rude to straight up ignore them, but at the same time, I no longer wish to attend that school (so it would be rude to humor them and take up their time). Do I just thank them for contacting me but inform them I no longer plan to attend?

What’s the best way to handle this? And how have other people handled this?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
mbeezy wrote:
Hey All, I have a bit of an business school application etiquette question. I applied to and was accepted by three schools; however, I have already ruled one out.

For the school I ruled out, I have contacts from that school reaching out to me to offer congratulations and offering to meet up or talk. I feel it would be rude to straight up ignore them, but at the same time, I no longer wish to attend that school (so it would be rude to humor them and take up their time). Do I just thank them for contacting me but inform them I no longer plan to attend?

Can you decline that school's offer on its online system? I would imagine that would trigger something to stop the calls.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
mbeezy wrote:

Can you decline that school's offer on its online system? I would imagine that would trigger something to stop the calls.

I can, but I meant for those that have already contacted me - I have about four or five contacts that I have not yet responded to.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
mbeezy wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
mbeezy wrote:

I can, but I meant for those that have already contacted me - I have about four or five contacts that I have not yet responded to.

I will say, if you are free go ahead & meet a few and let them know you are considering other schools as well. It is always good to meet people; especially the ones who reach out to help. :)
and that way when you finally tel them your decision, it would not come out as a surprise to them. (or they wouldn' t consider it rude.

Having said that, you would have to draw a line somewhere.

P.S: this is totally a non b school related thought. Of course, other people may guide better.
Current Student
Send PM
mbeezy wrote:

I don't understand tge dilemma, frankly. If I were you, I would e-mail/call these contacts, thank them for reaching out and briefly explain my decision not to attend this school. This way you show your respect, both to them and their school, and stop them from contacting you again about this.

I would not meet with them, as this is a bad use of their busy schedule, IMHO.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
mbeezy wrote:

I don't understand tge dilemma, frankly. If I were you, I would e-mail/call these contacts, thank them for reaching out and briefly explain my decision not to attend this school. This way you show your respect, both to them and their school, and stop them from contacting you again about this.

I would not meet with them, as this is a bad use of their busy schedule, IMHO.

Posted from my mobile device

I'm sorry. I missed the part in the bracket and the thought (that these guys have tons of other things to do) never came across my mind while writing this down.

FuzzyBuzzard makes sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Send PM
R2. Got my interview assignment yesterday. Very impressed with how closely this person's job aligns with my career goals. Did anyone else notice this or is this just coincidence?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GRE 1: Q161 V155
GPA: 3.64
WE:Sales (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
cole2012 wrote:
R2. Got my interview assignment yesterday. Very impressed with how closely this person's job aligns with my career goals. Did anyone else notice this or is this just coincidence?

I definitely noticed this with my interview. I was able to take on Linkedin at my interviewer's profile and saw a lot of similarities...both with past career history and alignment to my own goals.

Though two of my co-workers also interviewed for Kellog R2 and they didn't have the same experience.

I'm guessing it's primarily due to coincidence.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
clomps wrote:
Pants are unfortunately not an option. I don't wear suits to work right now, so I'm limited in the suit department, ha. I was also worried it would be icy/snowy (although it's not going to be), so I didn't go ahead and buy pants earlier since they tend to gather salt and slush from the street.

I am travelling on the L, though from downtown, and I'll have a 10 minute walk to the station there and then 10 minutes from the Evanston stop to Kellogg. So I will be in the cold for a bit.

I heard a lot of women working in Chicago wear dress boots to their conservative offices, but I just wanted to get some other opinions.

Thanks guys!

Hi Clomps- I currently live in Chicago and I would recommend you make an executive decision closer to the date. So far we've had practically no snow (we've been breaking records) and the weather has been crazy warm, as far as Chicago weather is concerned. That being said, though, a few days ago it was in the 40s and next week it's supposed to drop down in the single digits, and half the time the weathermen are wrong, anyway. Weather can be all over the place. And if there's no wind- and the wind hasn't been too bad yet this year- you'll barely notice anything (unless you're coming from Cali). If there is a big snow, you can be assured that most sidewalks will be shoveled and salted well.

That being said, if you're still uncomfortable, you could always wear pants and good winter shoes to kellogg, then jump into a bathroom there and change. Having already visited, they have a closet in the admissions office for applicants to put coats and stuff, so you can stash your bag there, do the interview, and then change again on your way out.
Current Student
Send PM
R2. Just got an interview assignment off-campus in my city.
The interviewer works in quite a different industry than I wish to work for after MBA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Folks, I read somewhere that Kellogg invite to the interview EVERY applicant. Is it true? In most cases if you are invited to the interview you have higher probability rates to be admitted. So what is the point to invite every applicant?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
alexpiers wrote:
Folks, I read somewhere that Kellogg invite to the interview EVERY applicant. Is it true? In most cases if you are invited to the interview you have higher probability rates to be admitted. So what is the point to invite every applicant?

Yes, Kellogg attempts to interview as many applicants as possible. Kellogg does this because fit is very important to them. There is a very strong collaborative, team-based culture at Kellogg, and the school wants to maintain this as much as possible. So they want to meet every applicant face-to-face to gauge whether the applicant can be part of the school culture.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
mbeezy wrote:

I have learned so much from talking to people from Kellogg and Yale. Whether or not I end up at the school of the person I'm talking to, I have made a great new contact AND I've found out about interesting opportunities for my career. I agree that you don't want to waste their time, so I'd say keep the conversation short and pointed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
alexpiers wrote:

There are a couple of things to be noted here:

1. Kellogg interviews every ACCEPTED student, not necessarily applicant (Unless they've changed their interview policy from last year, in which case, my bad).
2. If you manage to schedule an on-campus interview - they will definitely interview you (Irrespective of how good/bad your application is. I'm sure I read somewhere that if possible, they try to interview you before they read your application).
3. If you schedule an off-campus interview - there is no guarantee you will be interviewed. In historically over-represented regions (eg: India), Kellogg simply cannot interview every applicant (logistic nightmare). In such cases, interviews are assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis till slots are exhausted. For those who cannot be accommodated, Kellogg will waive the interview/keep applicants waiting. Some may specifically be invited to interview (I'm guessing this because Kellogg reads their app and is impressed), and from that set, some will be accepted.

To conclude - All accepted students will be interviewed, but every applicant need not necessarily be interviewed.

Cheers,
MBAWanderlust
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
MBAWanderlust wrote:
alexpiers wrote:

1. Kellogg interviews every ACCEPTED student, not necessarily applicant (Unless they've changed their interview policy from last year, in which case, my bad).
2. If you manage to schedule an on-campus interview - they will definitely interview you (Irrespective of how good/bad your application is. I'm sure I read somewhere that if possible, they try to interview you before they read your application).
3. If you schedule an off-campus interview - there is no guarantee you will be interviewed. In historically over-represented regions (eg: India), Kellogg simply cannot interview every applicant (logistic nightmare). In such cases, interviews are assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis till slots are exhausted. For those who cannot be accommodated, Kellogg will waive the interview/keep applicants waiting. Some may specifically be invited to interview (I'm guessing this because Kellogg reads their app and is impressed), and from that set, some will be accepted.

To conclude - All accepted students will be interviewed, but every applicant need not necessarily be interviewed.

Cheers,
MBAWanderlust

But is there any Indian R2 Applicant who has been interviewed yet?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
MBAWanderlust wrote:
alexpiers wrote:

Cheers,
MBAWanderlust

Actually, you are right on every point except the first: Kellogg DOES seek to interview every applicant. They are different than most schools that will interview only students they want to accept. As somebody above said, fit is important so they want everyone to have the opportunity to interview and gauge fit. They will only not interview you if you are n the areas of high demand. That has always been their policy

I think the important thing is not to over think why or why not they interview everyone. Think of it as a bonus and another opportunity to wow them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, General
Schools:Kellogg, Ross, LBS, ISB
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
ritzoo wrote:
MBAWanderlust wrote:
alexpiers wrote:

Cheers,
MBAWanderlust

But is there any Indian R2 Applicant who has been interviewed yet?

Or an Indian R2 applicant who has been invited to interview? If so, please respond with some details so that the rest of us can stop chewing our nails!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  38   39   40   41   42   43   44  ...  76   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts