Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1140 [66]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 570 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32872 [7]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [18]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The compositions of Claude Debussy are known for their or [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
bhatgmat wrote:
daviesj wrote:
The compositions of Claude Debussy are known for their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, a use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and delicate but dramatic lyricism.

A.their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, a use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and

B.their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and

C.their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and their

D.orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and

E.their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and a

Correct Answer: B

This sentence features a list of Equivalent Elements that must be in parallel form. The list of characteristics for which Debussy's compositions are known includes their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and delicate but dramatic lyricism. Only choice B lists these characteristics correctly. Choice A says that the compositions are known for their "a use of scales', which is awkward ' one does not need the article 'a' to precede 'use.' Choice C lacks the possessive pronoun 'their' in front of 'use', making it not parallel. Choice D is missing the introductory possessive pronoun 'their.' Choice E, like A, has the unnecessary article 'a' preceding 'delicate'.

can anyone please tell me why a introductory pronoun is required here?
Without the pronoun option D lokks OK to me.

I am known for using cliches.
I am known for use of cliches.
I am know for my use of cliches.

Which one is wrong ?
The 2nd One.

In 1st one, "using" takes the subject I.
In case of 2nd: the subject is missing, as I doesn't fit - whose use of cliches ? The subject is ambiguous. So we must include "my/his/her or any possessive" in this case. That's why "my" is included in 3rd sentence(correct form of sentence 1)

So since in D, Use is used as verb so we must have a subject "their". Had it been "using" the gerund form then D could have been right as well.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: The compositions of Claude Debussy are known for their [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Use of scale is a general feature of all music; however, when you consider a specific type of scale, then it is denoted as ‘a’ use of that particular scale, in this case, that was considered exotic (something special), at that period of time. That is the reason we need the term ‘a’ before the word ‘use’.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1069 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
Send PM
Bookmarks
The compositions of Claude Debussy are known for their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, a use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and delicate but dramatic lyricism.

A.their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, a use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and

B.their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and

C.their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and their

D.orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and

E.their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and a

"their' is necessary here. The group is know for their unique subtlety and brilliance, the writer emphasizes uniqueness here. So eliminate D.

..... delicate but dramatic lyricism....since we have but here, we must maintain parallelism. remove everything except coordinating conjunction "and" . So, C and E are gone.

I dont think when they play their music they apply certain thing once, they should be doing in general to make their style different. That's why I eliminated A. B is the answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 899
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
Send PM
VeritasKarishma can u pls explain why C is incorrect, should not their is needed for parallelism?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
The compositions of Claude Debussy are known for their [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
daviesj wrote:

Correct Answer: B

This sentence features a list of Equivalent Elements that must be in parallel form. The list of characteristics for which Debussy's compositions are known includes their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and delicate but dramatic lyricism. Only choice B lists these characteristics correctly. Choice A says that the compositions are known for their "a use of scales', which is awkward ' one does not need the article 'a' to precede 'use.' Choice C lacks the possessive pronoun 'their' in front of 'use', making it not parallel. Choice D is missing the introductory possessive pronoun 'their.' Choice E, like A, has the unnecessary article 'a' preceding 'delicate'.

Basic structure of the sentence:

The compositions are known for their brilliance, use of exotic scales and dramatic lyricism.

To maintain parallelism, we use "their" only once in the beginning or we use it with each item in the list.
So another correct way of writing it would be

The compositions are known for their brilliance, their use of exotic scales and their dramatic lyricism.

But we cannot mix and match. So we cannot put their with just two elements but not with the third. Hence, (C) is incorrect.
junii

Also, "their" helps clarify the meaning of the sentence.
The compositions are known for brilliance. (Whose brilliance? The author's? The Protagonist's?)
The compositions are known for their brilliance. (They are known for their own brilliance)

Also, consider this:
The compositions are known for their a use of exotic scales.
Use of the indefinite article "a" is incorrect here.

Hence, option (B) is correct.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts