Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: LBS MIF '14
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE:Programming (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.65
WE:Programming (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: 2013 LBS MiF Applicants welcome! [#permalink]
Admitted. I will be very happy to contact other fellow admits or help people currently applying.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
varna123 wrote:
Admitted. I will be very happy to contact other fellow admits or help people currently applying.

congratulations!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.51
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
hi All,

just got a call from the AdCom; I am in as well!

Now I can start worrying about how to pay for it...:)

best regards,

Csaba
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi I wanted to understand the differences in recruiting for finance roles for MIF's vs MBA Finance - or are they practically the same. I have sent my CV for review and was strongly encouraged to apply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: LBS '14 (M$)
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Dear All,

LBS has just announced that they entered into partnership with ProdigyFinance.

Here are some key points to note:

·         At London Business School, we constantly review financial options available to students looking to fund their degree programmes. Below are some key notes:

·         We are pleased to announce that we have entered into an agreement with Prodigy Finance, which we believe will enable access to financial support to those who need it most.
·         The new scheme will be run by Prodigy Finance.
·         The loan provides funding for our students sourced primarily from the School, but also from other investors and friends of the School.
·         Once applicants have accepted their place on the London Business School MBA and Masters in Finance programmes, they can apply directly through Prodigy’s website.
·         At this time, only full-time MBA 2015 and MiF 2014 students are eligible and access to funds is dependent on the level of funds available.
·         The loan amount is capped at the year’s tuition less acceptance and reservation fees, and can only be used for tuition.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Hello All,

The 2012 MiF Employment report is out at length:

https://www.london.edu/programmes/mif/be ... mpact.html

Pretty disappointing results! Just a few highlights that caught my eyes:

Employment 2012: 81% (vs 84% in 2011)
Average base salary 2012: GBP 55k (vs GBP 73k in 2011)

I think the real shock is the decrease in salary figures...
Anybody any comments on the above?
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '16
Send PM
Hello All,

The 2012 MiF Employment report is out at length.

------------------------------------

Maybe its not as disappointing as it would appear...

Currency...its hard to make comparisons for 2011 vs 2012 without knowing the currency exchange rates for each of the reported salaries. Overall, I believe you would find that the GBP strengthened from Aug 1, 2011 to Aug 1, 2012 vs. most major global currencies, which may account for a certain amount of the declines in reported salaries.

Although, the Latin American results seem to have substantially improved, which is the opposite of what I would have expected, considering the over 20% weakening in the Brazilian Real vs the GBP from 2011 to 2012 (maybe there is a mistake in the numbers/calculations in the LBS report?).

The relatively small sample size of the reported results may have skewed the numbers between years. Likewise, the difference between 81% employed in 2012 vs 84% in 2011 is like 4 students.

More details regarding reported figures would be needed before definitive conclusions could be drawn for 2011 vs 2012.

The easiest comparisons are in the UK, where the sample sizes are largest and there are no currency changes. In the UK, the mean salary declined 11% to £63.3 in 2012 from £71.3 in 2011, but the median salary actually increased 7% to £70.0 in 2012 from £65.0 in 2011.

Lastly, obtaining an MiF degree from LBS is not a 1-year investment...you would need to look at salaries over ones lifetime to determine relative returns on investment.

So again, its hard to know exactly what's happening without more details/history on the numbers behind the numbers...maybe someone from LBS can provide more colour?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Petesb et al,

Thanks for your comments on the employment report. I have been talking with some other students as well as the school about the numbers and can offer a couple thoughts on some of the differences:

- the biggest influence on the salary figures is the sample size, which is small every year. 2011 apparently was an outlier year with more people receiving high salaries reporting. The 5-year mean salary from the survey results is GBP 62,307.

- In 2012, on the other hand, a larger share of students sponsored by governmental and supranational finance firms in Asia reported their salaries compared to previous years. These people tend to have salaries in the lower quartile of the class in terms of base salary. This likely lowers the mean figure. The median, on the other hand, is higher as you noted.

- 2012 had a higher proportion of students working in Asia relative to last year. These students also tend to have lower salaries than those who work in Europe.

- The school believes that the fact that the London median salary improved. This data represents the highest proportion of students placed as well as the highest proportion of students reporting salaries, so they feel that it is more representative of the class than the other regions.

Please feel free to write me with any additional questions or requests for information.
RK

petesb93101 wrote:
Hello All,

The 2012 MiF Employment report is out at length.

------------------------------------

Maybe its not as disappointing as it would appear...

Currency...its hard to make comparisons for 2011 vs 2012 without knowing the currency exchange rates for each of the reported salaries. Overall, I believe you would find that the GBP strengthened from Aug 1, 2011 to Aug 1, 2012 vs. most major global currencies, which may account for a certain amount of the declines in reported salaries.

Although, the Latin American results seem to have substantially improved, which is the opposite of what I would have expected, considering the over 20% weakening in the Brazilian Real vs the GBP from 2011 to 2012 (maybe there is a mistake in the numbers/calculations in the LBS report?).

The relatively small sample size of the reported results may have skewed the numbers between years. Likewise, the difference between 81% employed in 2012 vs 84% in 2011 is like 4 students.

More details regarding reported figures would be needed before definitive conclusions could be drawn for 2011 vs 2012.

The easiest comparisons are in the UK, where the sample sizes are largest and there are no currency changes. In the UK, the mean salary declined 11% to £63.3 in 2012 from £71.3 in 2011, but the median salary actually increased 7% to £70.0 in 2012 from £65.0 in 2011.

Lastly, obtaining an MiF degree from LBS is not a 1-year investment...you would need to look at salaries over ones lifetime to determine relative returns on investment.

So again, its hard to know exactly what's happening without more details/history on the numbers behind the numbers...maybe someone from LBS can provide more colour?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
WE:Business Development (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi, I am in too. Got my result right before the Christmas. Looking forward to meeting you all in August!

EV

PS: join the Facebook group - LBS MIF 2013 intake.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Anyone applying for the April 30th deadline. Any guesses how many applicants are admitted from R5?? I had sent my CV for review last year and was encouraged to apply but didn't end up applying. Giving it a shot this year.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have a few questions about the MiF application process.

Firstly, what GPA is the programme looking for with non-US applicants? My GPA is not 3.5 (not near) but my university (Deputy Vice Chancellor) wrote a letter to my employers confirming it is the equivalent of a 2.1. Should I put both my grade transcript, and a copy of the university letter when I apply?

Secondly, I am looking to apply to the part-time programme. Does not submitting the GMAT with the initial application look bad? i.e. would people suggest I submit the GMAT even if I am not happy with the score? Or should I wait until I absolutely nail it?

I should add that I have three years of leveraged finance and restructuring experience, and am a chartered accountant.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Send PM
Hello All,

I'm an applicant for the 2013 intake. Applied Round 4 and received my interview invitation this week :)

Profile:
British male, 27
Experience - 4 years post-grad at a UK bank (mix of leveraged finance, private equity, credit analysis, trading, and treasury risk management); +1 year internship at a bank in Madrid.
CFA - Level 1 complete
Undergraduate - International Business
GMAT - 730 (42V, 48Q)

Thanks to everyone for all the tips and guidance on here!

Jezz
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Send PM
highyield wrote:

Firstly, what GPA is the programme looking for with non-US applicants? My GPA is not 3.5 (not near) but my university (Deputy Vice Chancellor) wrote a letter to my employers confirming it is the equivalent of a 2.1. Should I put both my grade transcript, and a copy of the university letter when I apply?

Secondly, I am looking to apply to the part-time programme. Does not submitting the GMAT with the initial application look bad? i.e. would people suggest I submit the GMAT even if I am not happy with the score? Or should I wait until I absolutely nail it?

I should add that I have three years of leveraged finance and restructuring experience, and am a chartered accountant.

Highyield,

I would recommend you use the online CV feedback service and ask about your GPA.

I don't know too much about part-time so someone else might be able to better answer this. But my understanding is you don;t need to do GMAT until after the interview stage, so it probably makes sense to submit your score only once you're happy with it.

Jezz
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JezzC wrote:
highyield wrote:

Highyield,

I would recommend you use the online CV feedback service and ask about your GPA.

I don't know too much about part-time so someone else might be able to better answer this. But my understanding is you don;t need to do GMAT until after the interview stage, so it probably makes sense to submit your score only once you're happy with it.

Jezz

My CV is fine according to the admissions service (it seems that I have a very similar work experience to you). It is just a bit of uncertainty on my part GPA-wise.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72865 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Found a bug in the charts on the first post of the discussion (was not copied right). Fixed. Sorry about that.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Hey guys,

I'm in too! By the way, I'm hoping to qualify for the MiF Impact/Alumni scholarship. Can someone can advise me on what do they look for in a student ambassador? This was the essay question -

[i]Why should the MiF Scholarships Committee consider you for the MiF Alumni/Impact Scholarship? Please explain your reasons including details of how you will serve as a strong ambassador for the Masters in Finance Programme and London Business School. (maximum 500 words).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
From what i've heard, the london finance job market this year is absolutely brutal, and LBS students are getting killed. Very few are getting bulge bracket bank jobs, and buyside is virtually nonexistent.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts