Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [56]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618844 [16]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 891 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy - Finance
 Q49  V36
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [3]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Mishari wrote:
Actually this is not really a probability question.

The probability that four of five voted is :
P(1st one voted) X ... X P(4th one voted) X (5th one NOT voted)
= 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.1
= 0.81 x 0.81 x 0.1 = 0.6561

ANSWER: E

.81 * .81 * .1 = .06561, which isn't one of the choices.

I think that this formula represents that probability that the first 4 people will have voted and the 5th voter hasn't. Since we don't care what the order is we have to do this equation 5 times (shifting the .1 to each possible spot). Easier way, just multiply .06561 by 5 and you get...

32.8%

Answer B for me
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [3]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
eschn3am wrote:
Mishari wrote:
Actually this is not really a probability question.

The probability that four of five voted is :
P(1st one voted) X ... X P(4th one voted) X (5th one NOT voted)
= 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.1
= 0.81 x 0.81 x 0.1 = 0.6561

ANSWER: E

.81 * .81 * .1 = .06561, which isn't one of the choices.

I think that this formula represents that probability that the first 4 people will have voted and the 5th voter hasn't. Since we don't care what the order is we have to do this equation 5 times (shifting the .1 to each possible spot). Easier way, just multiply .06561 by 5 and you get...

32.8%

Answer B for me

Another straightforward way is to applicate the probability formula:

C(4,5) x (9/10)^4 x (1/10)^1 = 5 x 0.81 x 0.81 x 0.1.

No room for mistakes in this case.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: PS: Probability [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
tarek99 wrote:
There is a 90% chance that a registered voter in Burghtown voted in the last election. If five registered voters are chosen at random, what is the approximate likelihood that exactly four of them voted in the last election?

a) 26.2%
b) 32.8%
c) 43.7%
d) 59.0%
e) 65.6%

Please provide your steps when choosing your answer

\(=5C4* (0.9)^4 * (O.1)^1\)

Originally posted by x2suresh on 25 Aug 2008, 12:45.
Last edited by x2suresh on 27 Aug 2008, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 295 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
There is a 90% chance that a registered voter in Burghtown voted in the last election. If five registered voters are chosen at random, what is the approximate likelihood that exactly four of them voted in the last election?

a) 26.2%
b) 32.8%
c) 43.7%
d) 59.0%
e) 65.6%

Soln:
Probability that voter votes = .9
Probability that voter does not vote = .1

Let Y be that voter votes and N be that voter does not vote
Therefore we have YYYYN

Probability that exactly 4 out of 5 vote
= (5!/4!) * (.9)^4 * (.1)^1
= .328

Ans is b
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [1]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Bookmarks
tarek99 wrote:

a) 26.2%
b) 32.8%
c) 43.7%
d) 59.0%
e) 65.6%

Please provide your steps when choosing your answer

VVVVN.... V represent voted... and N represent Not Voted.

Therefore % = .9 * .9 * .9 * .9 * .1 x 5!/4! x100 = 32.8% = B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
jeeteshsingh wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

VVVVN.... V represent voted... and N represent Not Voted.

Therefore % = .9 * .9 * .9 * .9 * .1 x 5!/4! x100 = 32.8% = B

Is there any general formula?
I can't get for what do you do 5!/4!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Re: There is a 90% chance that a registered voter in Burghtown [#permalink]
Hey I still don't get it. The reason I ask is because the order of voting doesn't seem to matter overtly to me. We have those who vote and those who didn't. Why are we even considering the total number of permutations or combinations and multiplying it with the chance of voting when all that was asked was was the probability of all four voting. Since all of them are voting how does order matter here?

V V V V 4 to me there aren't five ways to arrange those votes because a vote is just a vote. Vote 1 is no different from Vote 2?

Basically I would select E, NOT B (which you get by multipling E by 5)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
manimgoindowndown wrote:
Hey I still don't get it. The reason I ask is because the order of voting doesn't seem to matter overtly to me. We have those who vote and those who didn't. Why are we even considering the total number of permutations or combinations and multiplying it with the chance of voting when all that was asked was was the probability of all four voting. Since all of them are voting how does order matter here?

V V V V 4 to me there aren't five ways to arrange those votes because a vote is just a vote. Vote 1 is no different from Vote 2?

Basically I would select E, NOT B (which you get by multipling E by 5)

The point is that the 5 voters are unique. Say they are A, B, C, D and E.
Now the case where A, B, C and D voted in the last election is different from the case where B, C, D and E voted in the last election. These are two different ways in which we can have 4 of the 5 who voted in the last election. There are 5 such different cases.

When you .9 * .9 * .9 * .9 * .1, you are finding the probability that A, B, C and D voted in the last election while E did not.
So you have to count 4 more cases e.g. .1 * .9 * .9 * .9 * .9 (Probability that A did not vote in the last election while B, C, D , E voted in the last election) etc.
The calculation is identical to the first case so you just need to count the first case 5 times.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
I understand our explanation for that problem. Actually the more I do probability problems like I have been doing last week I find the biggest and most fundamental conceptual problem I have is when to include order/disclude order.

Let's take the following example

Anthony and Michael sit on the six member board of directors for company X. If the board is to be split up into 2 three- person subcommittees, what percent of all the possible subcommittees that include Michael also include Anthony?
question stem limits this problem very nicely.

(A) 20%
(B) 30%
(C) 40%
OA: C

The answer is C. Let's look at a committee where Mike belongs (he's person # 1) on that committee. When we choose person #2, there is a 1/5 probability that it's going to be Anthony (then it doesn't matter who the third person is), and 4/5 probability that it's going to be someone else (then person #3 is going to be Anthony with probability 1/4). Total probability = 1/5+4/5*1/4 = 2/5

Now I wonder why wouldn't we take 2/5 and multiply is by 4C4 as the user who solved it above did not include the combination in his calculation. I know the answer would be the same, but isn't the 4C4 a way of showing that the four positions that don't include Mike could be rearranged in so many ways, since order doesn't matter?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
There is a 90% chance that a registered voter in Burghtown [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
manimgoindowndown wrote:
I understand our explanation for that problem. Actually the more I do probability problems like I have been doing last week I find the biggest and most fundamental conceptual problem I have is when to include order/disclude order.

Let's take the following example

Anthony and Michael sit on the six member board of directors for company X. If the board is to be split up into 2 three- person subcommittees, what percent of all the possible subcommittees that include Michael also include Anthony?
question stem limits this problem very nicely.

(A) 20%
(B) 30%
(C) 40%
OA: C

The answer is C. Let's look at a committee where Mike belongs (he's person # 1) on that committee. When we choose person #2, there is a 1/5 probability that it's going to be Anthony (then it doesn't matter who the third person is), and 4/5 probability that it's going to be someone else (then person #3 is going to be Anthony with probability 1/4). Total probability = 1/5+4/5*1/4 = 2/5

Now I wonder why wouldn't we take 2/5 and multiply is by 4C4 as the user who solved it above did not include the combination in his calculation. I know the answer would be the same, but isn't the 4C4 a way of showing that the four positions that don't include Mike could be rearranged in so many ways, since order doesn't matter?

The committee doesn't have unique positions - team lead, member etc. The question is that of the total 3 member committees you can form out of the 6 members, how many that have Mike have Anthony as well. It is a combinations question.

No of committees that have Mike = 5C2 = 10 (you include Mike and then choose 2 members out of the other 5)
No of committees that have Mike have Anthony too = 4C1 = 4 (you include Mike and Anthony and choose 1 member of the remaining 4)

Probability = 4/10

or

when you use probability, you write the probability of the next move. You do not make two moves at the same time. So you can pick Anthony when you pick the second member or you can pick him when you pick the third member. The probability of picking Anthony in each case is 1/5 and you add them up to get 2/5. (Why will the probability stay the same 1/5 in both cases?

Check out this video on Probability: https://youtu.be/0BCqnD2r-kY

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 23 Jan 2013, 21:05.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 23 Aug 2023, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
tarek99 wrote:

A. 26.2%
B. 32.8%
C. 43.7%
D. 59.0%
E. 65.6%

We need to determine the probability that 4 voters vote and 1 does not. If we let Y = a voter voted and N = a voter didn’t vote, then:

P(Y-Y-Y-Y-N) = 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.9 x 0.1 = 0.06561

We also have to consider that we can arrange these 5 voters in 5!/4! = 5 ways; thus, the overall probability is:

5 x 0.06561 = 0.32805 = 32.8%

Answer: B
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts