Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V39
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
riskall wrote:
speedingdaemon wrote:
suchivuk wrote:
Interesting !! The same question came up in a recent info session that i went to. The current students who actually did the Q&A were all titled manager and above. One of the prospective students asked - Are only mgrs and above hired ?. To which, the students responded - No, they have a good representation of individual contributors also in their cohorts. Hope that helps !! :-)

Looking their facebook group page.
Almost all the Asian males/females have a manager title. You could check their linkedin profiles.
I am not sure if there is ANY hardware/software engineer in the list. I see Product managers, Program Managers, etc... :(
That is a bit discouraging because I know for a fact that people like me are in Engineering because we love it and now need an MBA to leverage our product development knowledge...
But I hope whoever said that they have a good representation of individual contributors knows of a few hands-on engineers...
Or is it a case that hands-on engineers should not be applying to EWMBA? :(

It's the revenge of the business folks man! They are sticking it to the Engineers ;)
BTW: Program Manager isn't really a manager in the typical sense of the word. I would consider them IC's.

From what I have seen, I would consider a few Project Managers and Product Managers as IC's too...
But the fact that I don't have ANY sort of a managerial title makes me VERY nervous... :cry:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
speedingdaemon wrote:
riskall wrote:
suchivuk wrote:
Interesting !! The same question came up in a recent info session that i went to. The current students who actually did the Q&A were all titled manager and above. One of the prospective students asked - Are only mgrs and above hired ?. To which, the students responded - No, they have a good representation of individual contributors also in their cohorts. Hope that helps !! :-)

Well, I mean what else were they going to say? "Yeah...you guys without Manager titles got suckered into applying to a school where you have no shot...mwhahaha"

I work for one of the top tech companies (Google/Apple/Microsoft/Amazon) and have the same issue ... I don't have a lead or manager title. This fact has got me nervous.

riskall,

i just have a feeling that you and i might have similar profiles in that case...
mind sharing urs?

Sure,
Male/Indian (I know...)
8 years W/E including last few in one of the top 3-4 tech companies as an Engineer.
I did have a formal team leadership role for a short period of time in a previous gig.
Have had top reviews throughout my career along with promotions.
GMAT is 720.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
speedingdaemon wrote:
From what I have seen, I would consider a few Project Managers and Product Managers as IC's too...
But the fact that I don't have ANY sort of a managerial title makes me VERY nervous... :cry:

Dude..the way I see it...you have done your part. No point worrying over things within the black box. Speculating on the other hand is definitely fun :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
riskall wrote:
Sure,
Male/Indian (I know...)
8 years W/E including last few in one of the top 3-4 tech companies as an Engineer.
I did have a formal team leadership role for a short period of time in a previous gig.
GMAT is 720.

:) I guessed it right.
I am 30/M/Indian working for a top tech company in the bay area as an engineer.
never had a manager title, but lead various projects within my team...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
riskall wrote:
Dude..the way I see it...you have done your part. No point worrying over things within the black box. Speculating on the other hand is definitely fun :)

Speculating is definitely fun.
Coming up with random statistics and then guessing over what might happen on 1st feb is also fun...
I was just counting... and seems like there are 82+ people (out of 250 admitted students) from Indian origin in the class that joined in fall 2012.. :D
talk about being over represented... I am sure that 75% of those folks would be in tech.. :D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
speedingdaemon wrote:
riskall wrote:
Sure,
Male/Indian (I know...)
GMAT is 720.

:) I guessed it right.
I am 30/M/Indian working for a top tech company in the bay area as an engineer.
never had a manager title, but lead various projects within my team...

LOL. I think the "top tech company" part might help you with AdCom.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
riskall wrote:

Yet another speculation, isn't it? :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
speedingdaemon wrote:
riskall wrote:

Yet another speculation, isn't it? :)

Yep.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
speedingdaemon wrote:
suchivuk wrote:

Looking their facebook group page.
Almost all the Asian males/females have a manager title. You could check their linkedin profiles.
I am not sure if there is ANY hardware/software engineer in the list. I see Product managers, Program Managers, etc... :(
That is a bit discouraging because I know for a fact that people like me are in Engineering because we love it and now need an MBA to leverage our product development knowledge...
But I hope whoever said that they have a good representation of individual contributors knows of a few hands-on engineers...
Or is it a case that hands-on engineers should not be applying to EWMBA? :(

24% of last year's incoming class came from Engineering, 11% from Project Management. I'd say you have a pretty decent shot. The biggest problem is that there are a lot of engineering applying and Haas doesn't want a class that's 75% engineers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
For those that haven't had an interview yet, this was an email I saw on the full time thread. I would imagine the EWMBA program works much the same.

Stephanie Fujii
Executive Director of Admissions
Full-time Berkeley MBA Program
wrote:
Dear *******,
Greetings once again from Berkeley! It has been several weeks since you submitted your Haas application and I am sure you’re wondering what’s going on behind the scenes. At this point, I wanted to shed some light on the application process and address a few of the common questions we’ve received:
• I have not yet received an invitation to interview. What does that mean? It means that we are still reviewing applications. The Admissions Committee values the effort you put into this process and every application is reviewed by at least two readers. We have already sent out a number of interview invitations, but we will continue to invite candidates to interview over the next month up to the notification deadline.
• What happens if I don’t get an invitation to interview? You should not be discouraged if you do not receive an interview invitation by the notification date; we typically invite around 25% of our candidates to interview. Some applicants will be offered a place on the waitlist without having been interviewed. These waitlisted candidates are welcome to schedule an interview after the notification date.
• I have an important application update I’d like to share, is that possible? Since we are already well into reviewing applications we cannot guarantee that your new information will be considered. However, you are welcome to submit it to mbaadm@haas.berkeley.edu. Someone on our team will follow-up if necessary.
• I already had my interview. What happens now? As hard as it is to do, you wait. Your interviewer will submit their evaluation and the Admissions Committee will consider it in addition to the rest of your application. All admissions decisions will be released on the notification date.
• Can I expedite a decision before the notification deadline? Unfortunately, we cannot expedite an admissions decision under any circumstances.
• If I am admitted, what happens next? First, you celebrate! As you know this is a very competitive process so you are among a select group. You should be on the lookout for follow-up emails from Admissions, Financial Aid and current students with important dates, events, and ways to continue to connect with our community.
I hope this information has been helpful. I know this can be a stressful time and we appreciate your patience while we continue to review applications.
Stephanie
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks for sharing
The one comment I would add is that for EWMBA the % of applicants interviewed to interview is much higher around ~60-80% based on various responses on this thread....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ferrarifan2905 wrote:
Thanks for sharing
The one comment I would add is that for EWMBA the % of applicants interviewed to interview is much higher around ~60-80% based on various responses on this thread....

Yeah according to the admissions person at an info session I went to, they interview around 2/3 of their application pool.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ferrarifan2905 wrote:
Thanks for sharing

So is the % of applicants admitted. Wonder if the ratio of those interviewed to those admitted is the same across EWMBA and FT programs...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
riskall wrote:
ferrarifan2905 wrote:
Thanks for sharing

So is the % of applicants admitted. Wonder if the ratio of those interviewed to those admitted is the same across EWMBA and FT programs...

Well the FT program is ~12% of their application pool is admitted. So, it's roughly the same.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
riskall wrote:
ferrarifan2905 wrote:
Thanks for sharing

Well the FT program is ~12% of their application pool is admitted. So, it's roughly the same.

packet....are you R1 or R2? And have you been interviewed yet?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
riskall wrote:

R1. Submitted my app 11/6 and interviewed on 12/14. At this point I'm just killing time until the notification deadline.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
riskall wrote:

R1. Submitted my app 11/6 and interviewed on 12/14. At this point I'm just killing time until the notification deadline.

Good luck! I hear Haas has a bad habit of WLing a bunch of its R1 and R2 applicants....hopefully that won't be the case this year.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  75   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts