Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [21]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Stanford GSB - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Answers
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.1
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
Re: My Debrief - Frustration to 710 to 740 to Stanford [#permalink]
JimGMATPrepster wrote:
Awesome debrief, thanks for sharing with the community. This will truly be helpful for many people as the progress through their gmat and bschool journey. Good luck at Stanford!

Thanks Jim!

pikachu wrote:
Awesome. Are you going to Stanford full or part-time.

Thanks! I'm going to the 2 year full-time MBA Program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Kudos
Awesome debrief. Reading through your post reminded me so much of my own GMAT struggles. Congrats on Stanford, it's nice to see all your hard work has paid off!

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congratulations, pitzzz, and thank you for a great debrief!

By the way, I love the photo. But you look much older than 24 in that picture...? :stupid

Have a great time in Palo Alto!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
I absolutely loved your debrief, I empathize with every single point you've written. I'm waiting to hear back from Kellogg, and just interviewed today with INSEAD, so I hope I can share some good news too.

Loved this point in particular "Think of the GMAT creators as the most hateful, heartless, ill-intended, merciless, evil SOBs on Earth. Honestly, they’ll do whatever it takes to trick you into choosing the wrong answer. If a question looks relatively easy and straightforward, it most probably isn’t. Remember this and you will beat them at their own game. Again, GMAT Club Tests are excellent for getting used to conquering tricky questions. "
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
Another thing I noticed the drop in IR scores. When I re-took the GMAT, I also found the IR section to be quite a bit harder. Like pitzzz, I scored an 8 in IR on the first attempt and saw a significant decrease on the re-take. It's nice to see (well not really NICE to see) that I wasn't the only one who experienced this same problem.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
Congratulations, pitzzz, and thank you for a great debrief!

By the way, I love the photo. But you look much older than 24 in that picture...? :stupid

Have a great time in Palo Alto!

Thanks GMATNinja!! Yup, life has taken its toll on me... totally worth it though.

Aximili85 wrote:
I absolutely loved your debrief, I empathize with every single point you've written. I'm waiting to hear back from Kellogg, and just interviewed today with INSEAD, so I hope I can share some good news too.

Thanks Aximili85!! Actually, an ex-coworker and very good friend goes to INSEAD, he's having a great time and he's very happy with his school choice. I hope you share good news soon. Keep us posted, good luck!

HImba88 wrote:
Another thing I noticed the drop in IR scores. When I re-took the GMAT, I also found the IR section to be quite a bit harder. Like pitzzz, I scored an 8 in IR on the first attempt and saw a significant decrease on the re-take. It's nice to see (well not really NICE to see) that I wasn't the only one who experienced this same problem.

Yup, IMO the GMAT creators haven't mastered this section yet. IR is not computer adaptive and the difference (difficulty, length, type of questions) between the two official IR sections I took was notable.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
hey pittzz,
congrats on the great score. .
have a couple of questions. .

Do we need to remember the GMAT codes of 5 Schools to which we want to send the scores?
Or we can select the school name there?

Also, say If I plan to do my MBA 2 years from now. Do I need to send the scores again to schools after 2 years?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Sachin9 wrote:
hey pittzz,

Do we need to remember the GMAT codes of 5 Schools to which we want to send the scores?

Also, say If I plan to do my MBA 2 years from now. Do I need to send the scores again to schools after 2 years?

Hey Sachin, I can help you with that one:
-No, you don't need to remember school names, you can find the schools by region and by typing in the name itself.
-You don''t need to resend for a period of 5 years. It stays in their record under your unique GMAC ID
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Aximili85 wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:
hey pittzz,

Hey Sachin, I can help you with that one:
-No, you don't need to remember school names, you can find the schools by region and by typing in the name itself.
-You don''t need to resend for a period of 5 years. It stays in their record under your unique GMAC ID

Thanks mate..
And during the break , say we gobble soemthing and are ready to start with the Quant section/verbal section, can we sit infront of teh computer doing nothing.. or the next section is immediately started by the proctor once we reach our computer?
Current Student
Send PM
Sachin9 wrote:
And during the break, say we gobble soemthing and are ready to start with the Quant section/verbal section, can we sit infront of teh computer doing nothing.. or the next section is immediately started by the proctor once we reach our computer?

Hey Sachin, once you reach your computer from the break, the proctor will begin the next section of your exam. It doesn't matter if you took a 1-minute break or the full 8-minute break. When the proctor enters the password on your computer to continue to the next section you do have 1 minute to "prepare" (sit in front of the computer doing nothing).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Send PM
pitzzz wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:
And during the break, say we gobble soemthing and are ready to start with the Quant section/verbal section, can we sit infront of teh computer doing nothing.. or the next section is immediately started by the proctor once we reach our computer?

Hey Sachin, once you reach your computer from the break, the proctor will begin the next section of your exam. It doesn't matter if you took a 1-minute break or the full 8-minute break. When the proctor enters the password on your computer to continue to the next section you do have 1 minute to "prepare" (sit in front of the computer doing nothing).

To add pitzzz comment, I would say take that full break, come back after 6/7 minutes, because as mentioned they will start it the moment you sit down.
Bad memories. Devil of an exam.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Aximili85 wrote:
pitzzz wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:

To add pitzzz comment, I would say take that full break, come back after 6/7 minutes, because as mentioned they will start it the moment you sit down.
Bad memories. Devil of an exam.

thanks to you and pittzz..

but the problem is that a watch isn't allowed and I guess there would be no way to know how many minutes we have already spent..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Sachin9 wrote:
thanks to you and pittzz..

but the problem is that a watch isn't allowed and I guess there would be no way to know how many minutes we have already spent..

I took the test at two different test centers and there was a big analog wall clock on both. I believe every single test center has something similar, so don't worry about it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Congratulations for your marvelous achievement. I am kinda in your boat...just a year later. I recently decided to take the test and apply for 2014-2015 year. And these lines kinda scared me...
Quote:
I decided to restore my social life, act like a human being, and let future me worry about the GMAT
Current Student
Send PM
anupkapoor wrote:
Congratulations for your marvelous achievement. I am kinda in your boat...just a year later. I recently decided to take the test and apply for 2014-2015 year. And these lines kinda scared me...
Quote:
I decided to restore my social life, act like a human being, and let future me worry about the GMAT

Hehe I wasn't trying to scare anyone, but yes, I killed my social life for a few months because I was working inhumane long hours and at the same time trying to go over some of the GMAT books. If your job isn't trying to kill you, you should be able to follow a study plan and also hang out with friends and family (probably less than usual though). It's all about maintaining a good, healthy balance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 200
Send PM
Awesome debrief pitzzz! You should also do a debrief on your Stanford application process! :wink:
Current Student
Send PM
onion253 wrote:
Awesome debrief pitzzz! You should also do a debrief on your Stanford application process! :wink:

Thanks onion253! That was another interesting journey. My advice on Stanford is: Go to an Info Session! I just came back from Admit Weekend and I can say with absolute confidence that you will get a very accurate feel of what the Stanford GSB culture is like at an Info Session. That feel (sorry, I can't find a non-cheesy word to describe it) will give you a clear understanding of wether or not Stanford is a good fit for you and vice versa.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts