Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
rajcooper wrote:
packet82 wrote:
Honestly? If I get wait listed at Haas and admitted to UCLA, I'd probably wait until close to the notification deadline and then accept UCLA. Haas is my first choice, but as they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. If I get wait listed at both? Time to stock up on booze from Costco.

I should have done the same. It would have cushioned the blow of a Haas WL to some extent.

Now, if Haas decides to kick my ass with a WL, I'll have to scramble to put together a UCLA application and that too in a drunken stupor.

Theoretically it should be a bit easier to get in to UCLA this year. Admissions said they were opening up another section for FEMBA Flex. So, that's an additional 35 spots.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
does anyone know if the admissions statistics for 2012 for haas / anderson PT programs is accurate? i saw something like 44% and 50% admitted respectively
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:
does anyone know if the admissions statistics for 2012 for haas / anderson PT programs is accurate? i saw something like 44% and 50% admitted respectively

Why don't they follow gmatclub and give admits to all the students active on this thread? :beer
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:

Haas didn't release the number of applications for 2012, so I don't know if those stats or official or accurate.

For 2011, I remember they had something like 680 applications and 240 admits.

If you assume an 80% yield, then yeah the admission rate should have been 44%.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Hi Guys,

Haas gave me an early decision - I am waitlisted! (Read on for full story)

Chkout the last two posts:
haas-ewmba-2012-calling-all-applicants-120315-600.html

I have an admit from UCLA and after a careful thought, I did not want to ask for an extension from UCLA but I requested Haas for an early decision citing my admit from UCLA. They agreed and I just got off the phone with the school. I always knew I would fall in the lower range of the distribution in terms of my GMAT (650) score and a waitlist is highly encouraging from my POV.

Per my conversation (and this might be helpful for the upcoming results next week) - Haas generally tends to under admit in R1 and put quite a few folks on waitlist to enable review the applications in R2 and R3 and then ultimately even everything out. R1 waitlist obviously has a lead over R2 applicant who in turn has a lead over R3 applicant. So the bottomline is, if you are admitted great! but you are waitlisted - it is not over yet!!

As for me, I think I will go ahead pay my deposit for UCLA tomorrow and see how it goes.

If you dont get a call on Jan 31st, you are either waitlisted or denied.

Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
calculas wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have an admit from UCLA and after a careful thought, I did not want to ask for an extension from UCLA but I requested Haas for an early decision citing my admit from UCLA. They agreed and I just got off the phone with the school. I always knew I would fall in the lower range of the distribution in terms of my GMAT (650) score and a waitlist is highly encouraging from my POV.

Per my conversation (and this might be helpful for the upcoming results next week) - Haas generally tends to under admit in R1 and put quite a few folks on waitlist to enable review the applications in R2 and R3 and then ultimately even everything out. R1 waitlist obviously has a lead over R2 applicant who in turn has a lead over R3 applicant. So the bottomline is, if you are admitted great! but you are waitlisted - it is not over yet!!

As for me, I think I will go ahead pay my deposit for UCLA tomorrow and see how it goes.

Good luck.

Thanks for sharing the news, calculas. Did you interview with Haas? Or did they waitlist you without an interview invite?
I kind of have a feeling that they wait for R2 and R3 applications because a lot of those are the ones who would have been denied an admission into FT programs elsewhere (Kellogg, Booth, etc). So, they certainly don't want to get into a situation where they have admitted 1/3rd of the class in R1 and not hae enough seats vacant for those "quality" FT rejected applicants.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
calculas wrote:
Hi Guys,

Congrats dude! Good that you have made up your mind and are not in any doldrums!!! Now go out an enjoy!!
UCLA is a great school too!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes, thanks for sharing.

Did they express the following to you explicitly or is this your own assumption/interpretation?

" R1 waitlist obviously has a lead over R2 applicant who in turn has a lead over R3 applicant. "
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kenny0929 wrote:
calculas wrote:
Hi Guys,

Good luck.

Thanks for sharing the news, calculas. Did you interview with Haas? Or did they waitlist you without an interview invite?
I kind of have a feeling that they wait for R2 and R3 applications because a lot of those are the ones who would have been denied an admission into FT programs elsewhere (Kellogg, Booth, etc). So, they certainly don't want to get into a situation where they have admitted 1/3rd of the class in R1 and not hae enough seats vacant for those "quality" FT rejected applicants.

Yes I did interview with Haas, chk out my post on this page:
haas-uc-berkeley-ewmba-2013-calling-all-applicants-143369-60.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kenny0929 wrote:
I kind of have a feeling that they wait for R2 and R3 applications because a lot of those are the ones who would have been denied an admission into FT programs elsewhere (Kellogg, Booth, etc). So, they certainly don't want to get into a situation where they have admitted 1/3rd of the class in R1 and not have enough seats vacant for those "quality" FT rejected applicants.

I doubt that's really the case. The person who wants to go full time is going to apply to 5-10 schools and pick the best option out of what comes back. A part time commitment is a whole different animal. I have a feeling it's more along the lines of waiting for applicants that hadn't decided to apply last summer that want to start this fall.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rajcooper wrote:
Yes, thanks for sharing.

Did they express the following to you explicitly or is this your own assumption/interpretation?

" R1 waitlist obviously has a lead over R2 applicant who in turn has a lead over R3 applicant. "

Was told explicitly. Even if not told so, isn't it the fair way :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
Kenny0929 wrote:
I kind of have a feeling that they wait for R2 and R3 applications because a lot of those are the ones who would have been denied an admission into FT programs elsewhere (Kellogg, Booth, etc). So, they certainly don't want to get into a situation where they have admitted 1/3rd of the class in R1 and not have enough seats vacant for those "quality" FT rejected applicants.

I doubt that's really the case. The person who wants to go full time is going to apply to 5-10 schools and pick the best option out of what comes back. A part time commitment is a whole different animal. I have a feeling it's more along the lines of waiting for applicants that hadn't decided to apply last summer that want to start this fall.

It is not about the applicant, it is about the class composition.

Lets imagine they get 150 application in R1 say all of them are Engineers. What are they going to do? Are they going to assume there will be no better engineers applying later? or are they going to assume there will be no other "type" of application in other rounds?

The whole rounds deal is to get that class composition right by giving priorities to applicants where deserved.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
calculas wrote:
rajcooper wrote:
Yes, thanks for sharing.

Thanks. The fairness of it is debatable but it's good to know their process.

Now, I'm wondering about the extent of under-admission in R1. Do they give out 60 admits instead of the 80? Perhaps 40? 30? Yikes!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
calculas wrote:
It is not about the applicant, it is about the class composition.

Lets imagine they get 150 application in R1 say all of them are Engineers. What are they going to do? Are they going to assume there will be no better engineers applying later? or are they going to assume there will be no other "type" of application in other rounds?

The whole rounds deal is to get that class composition right by giving priorities to applicants where deserved.

Yeah, I get that. My point is just that people applying to full time programs aren't really going to switch to a part time program later in the application season. They'd just apply to other full time programs. At that point they've already made the decision to quit their job, it's just a matter of where they go. I'm sure there are a few that switch to PT, but I doubt it's anywhere near a plurality.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
calculas wrote:
Hi Guys,

Good luck.

Wait. Isn't it Feb 1st? I thought they make the phone calls on Feb 1st.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
rajcooper wrote:
calculas wrote:
rajcooper wrote:
Yes, thanks for sharing.

Thanks. The fairness of it is debatable but it's good to know their process.

Now, I'm wondering about the extent of under-admission in R1. Do they give out 60 admits instead of the 80? Perhaps 40? 30? Yikes!

Well, he's hoping an out of state consultant is unique enough for R1 at Haas.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kenny0929 wrote:
calculas wrote:
Hi Guys,

Good luck.

Wait. Isn't it Feb 1st? I thought they make the phone calls on Feb 1st.

Last year they called admits a day before the deadline.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  75   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts