Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (M)
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Leftcoastguy wrote:
kaushinside wrote:
strangebrew wrote:
@kaushinside

R2 applicant here in a similar dilemma. Wondering whether we can wait until the calls are out on Feb1 and then send in the transcripts.

I hold an indian undergraduate degree and a masters in the US. I can manage my masters transcript but the undergraduate transcripts involve a fair bit of running around. Confused!

Also, any idea when we can expect to hear from Cambridge?

@strangebrew

Their email says: If you are invited for interview you will need to post a hard copy of your transcripts/marksheets. This can either be the originals or a certified copy.

Hence, we'll have to wait until the results are out before sending any docs to them..

If you receive an invite(i hope you do) you could send an email to them asking for some more time depending on your travel.
Perhaps, R1ers could throw some light on this matter..

p.s. Cambridge hasn't given a specific date.. no clue :(

Strangebrew - I assume you have your original transcripts/marksheets with you? Just make copies and get those certified by any notary public in the US. Should be straightforward unless you are not in possession of your originals. Once you do this, just mail it to Oxford and it should reach them before your interview (you have a few weeks between the invitation and the interview). This is what I did and it worked fine.

Someone please explain the rationale of this unique behaviour
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@wouldbecrazy

i suppose they want to verify the authenticity of all the documentation before giving out a final call..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kaushinside wrote:
@wouldbecrazy

i suppose they want to verify the authenticity of all the documentation before giving out a final call..

That would be a filmsy excuse to complicate the already complicated process and incurring extra cost and hassle for nothing!!

Most of the schools does that during matriculation .. so they are not as smart as Said, right?

Too many people are selected in Said and many does not take the offer, for example Paras, Ducks, etc. Why to burden them as well as many people interviewed but not selected with this unnecessary step?

Is this followed for all candidates or followed for RANDOMLY selected few?

Did they received too many FAKE applications in the past so they had to take this additional step?

Assuming that there were fake applications in the past, for the time being suspending the ethical part, if those fake people were selected by Said and had to reject due to faking, then that either means educational transcripts does not truly depict a candidate or Said selection method is flawed.

MBA admission process is already not so straight forward and some schools are unnecessarily complicating the process without any practical gain. And the most serious issue, they are doing it selectively.

Sorry, I am not targeting Said, it is a general observation, applicable to quite a few schools.

Thoughts please
Manager
Manager
Send PM
wouldbecrazy wrote:
kaushinside wrote:
@wouldbecrazy

That would be a filmsy excuse to complicate the already complicated process and incurring extra cost and hassle for nothing!!

Most of the schools does that during matriculation .. so they are not as smart as Said, right?

Too many people are selected in Said and many does not take the offer, for example Paras, Ducks, etc. Why to burden them as well as many people interviewed but not selected with this unnecessary step?

Is this followed for all candidates or followed for RANDOMLY selected few?

Did they received too many FAKE applications in the past so they had to take this additional step?

Assuming that there were fake applications in the past, for the time being suspending the ethical part, if those fake people were selected by Said and had to reject due to faking, then that either means educational transcripts does not truly depict a candidate or Said selection method is flawed.

MBA admission process is already not so straight forward and some schools are unnecessarily complicating the process without any practical gain. And the most serious issue, they are doing it selectively.

Sorry, I am not targeting Said, it is a general observation, applicable to quite a few schools.

Thoughts please

am not advocating the practice, just trying to guess the purpose..
i agree that it is strange for any college to ask for these docs before the final decisions..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kaushinside wrote:
i agree that it is strange for any college to ask for these docs before the final decisions..

Sorry Bro, absolutely nothing against you. My apologies.

I was just questioning the whims of some schools.

And if you look at their personal data privacy standards, it is just pathetic. Most of the people there even never heard of it!! Some of the schools are openly showing personal information such as name, DOB, Passport No on their web. Not directly, but if you know how to get inside a website, it is so easy!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
wouldbecrazy wrote:
kaushinside wrote:

Sorry Bro, absolutely nothing against you. My apologies.

I was just questioning the whims of some schools.

And if you look at their personal data privacy standards, it is just pathetic. Most of the people there even never heard of it!! Some of the schools are openly showing personal information such as name, DOB, Passport No on their web. Not directly, but if you know how to get inside a website, it is so easy!!

well, let's just hold our horses and hope they have a good reason for it.. :)

any idea how many applicants are there in the current round and what was the ratio of # of calls to total # of applicants last year?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kaushinside wrote:
well, let's just hold our horses and hope they have a good reason for it.. :)

any idea how many applicants are there in the current round and what was the ratio of # of calls to total # of applicants last year?

Great, keep that positive views always.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
If anyone finds it useful, a few remarks:

* I was asked to send original transcripts once I had been invited for interview. They did say that they would not release a final decision until they had received those transcripts. So yes, as unusual as it sounds, you do need to send them original transcripts if you want to hear from them if you were accepted or not.

* In this forum I read about a candidate who interviewed and did not send his/her transcripts on time. A few days after decisions had been released he/she called the admissions office to enquire and was then told that he had been accepted, but an "official" e-mail could not be sent until official transcripts were received.

* I have no bloody idea of why they do this, but I reckon they had very bad experiences in the past. Nevertheless, I would also take it as a good indication that if you are invited to interview chances are very high you will get admitted. My very biased sample of people I contacted in this forum, would tell me that maybe 3/4 of interviews become offers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Agree with everything except this:
Ducksworth wrote:
* So yes, as unusual as it sounds, you do need to send them original transcripts if you want to hear from them if you were accepted or not.

If you interview in person, you need to bring your original transcripts with you to show them. If you interview over the phone, you can send certified copies like I did and receive your final decision.

Originally posted by Leftcoastguy on 25 Jan 2013, 09:40.
Last edited by Leftcoastguy on 25 Jan 2013, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Send PM
Leftcoastguy wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:
* So yes, as unusual as it sounds, you do need to send them original transcripts if you want to hear from them if you were accepted or not.

If you interview in person, you need to bring your original transcripts with you to show them. If you interview over the phone, you can send certified copies like I did and receive your final decision. Please do not mail them original transcripts!

Maybe there is a difference in what we mean by original transcripts?

Where I was an undergrad, they would give you as many "official" transcripts as needed (for a small fee of course). They are just regular printed sheets of paper but in a nice and sealed envelope, signed across.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
Leftcoastguy wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:

If you interview in person, you need to bring your original transcripts with you to show them. If you interview over the phone, you can send certified copies like I did and receive your final decision. Please do not mail them original transcripts!

Maybe there is a difference in what we mean by original transcripts?

Where I was an undergrad, they would give you as many "official" transcripts as needed (for a small fee of course). They are just regular printed sheets of paper but in a nice and sealed envelope, signed across.

You may be right - the definition changes with where you went to school. I was referring to the bond-paper printed, embossed original transcript which some schools give out - not those unlimited supply, sealed envelope ones. I'll edit my post above.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
No, no... no need to edit anything :) Your university seems to be a lot posher than mine ;) Because of your nickname I reckon you went Stanford or something nice like that.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
@ kaushinside , CptBrightside, Leftcoastguy - Thanks for your inputs.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.21
Send PM
May I ask if they send you a confirmation e-mail when they receive your transcripts, particularly if you have multiple transcripts to send? Also, does everyone receive an e-mail decision on the interview date (either interview or rejection)? I was reviewing previous posts from this year and it appears so, but I just wanted to make sure. I agree that the wait is horrible- I wish everyone the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
crappyapp2 wrote:
May I ask if they send you a confirmation e-mail when they receive your transcripts, particularly if you have multiple transcripts to send? Also, does everyone receive an e-mail decision on the interview date (either interview or rejection)? I was reviewing previous posts from this year and it appears so, but I just wanted to make sure. I agree that the wait is horrible- I wish everyone the best!

Yes and Yes :)

Good luck!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Guys... I interviewed on campus... the admissions staff returned the originals after photo copying. The documents asked were my passport (relevant pages) and my undergrad transcript (the one page paid ones that typical Indian Uni. provides)
FYI… NYU also has the same transcript policy as Oxford.

Yes I got the interview invite and the admission offer over email. (no phone calls)

Good luck :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
crappyapp2 wrote:

Actually, I had to e-mail them to ask if they had received my transcripts, but they replied literally within a couple of minutes.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  22   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts