Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4323 [93]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32860 [12]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32860 [5]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Re: Studies show that children who listen too much classic music are more [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Replying to a Pvt about this question

Sorry if I didnt fully explain in my previous post the reasons why A is correct and the others one do not

As such, when i said must VS hypothesis in the sense that the right choice do not mimic exactly what the stimulus tries to convey.

In the stimulus we do have something that COULD be true.

In A we do have a flaw because the question does not take in account other reasons why a person could be silent when adult. Could be the music or else.

IN the other options instead we do have clearly no alternative causes

Look at C

3) Studies show that fat people live shorter lives, on average, than thin people do. Tom is a fat man and therefore might be expected to live a shorter life than Peter, who is a thin man.

This kind of statistic is definitely true. All we know.

However, I didnt find a reliable source of this question. Yet, considering the OG question on mimic the argument this one is really not properly formulated.

I think is better to leave it behind and do not spend too much time on this one.

I am here for further discussions.

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 607 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V32
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
Send PM
Re: Studies show that children who listen too much classic music are more [#permalink]
Guyz, this does not seem to be a very good post.

Option A is clearly incomplete! It doesnt have a 'logical' structure at all!

And, what is the last line "People who like Dogs.." doing there? Is that an option too? Becuase that is, at least complete.

Now, it only gets a logical structure when we combine A and B together. This, i think, should be option A:
"1) The shoes store in the city sold twice as many shoes as the shoes store in the countryside did last week, and a Today paper advertisement has been shown to increase the number of shoes sold. The shoes store in the city must have had a bigger advertisement in the Today paper than the shoes store in the countryside. "

But, still A isn't the correct answer.

To me, the last (un-numbered) option makes more sense.

But anyways, i request the poster to either clarify or remove/edit this post.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [1]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
[you-tube][/you-tube]
blueseas wrote:
Studies show that children who listen too much classic music are more likely than others to become silent adults. Shawn, who is a silent adult, must have listened more classic music as a child than I did, since I am not silent.

Which of the following most closely parallels the logical structure above?

1) The shoes store in the city must have had a bigger advertisement in the Today paper than the shoes store in the countryside.

2) The shoes store in the city sold twice as many shoes as the shoes store in the countryside did last week, and a Today paper advertisement has been shown to increase the number of shoes sold.

3) Studies show that fat people live shorter lives, on average, than thin people do. Tom is a fat man and therefore might be expected to live a shorter life than Peter, who is a thin man.

4) The mayor stated that all meetings would be canceled for the day if rainfall last night were greater than five inches. Therefore, since the rainfall was only four inches, we must be attending the meeting today.

5) According to research, people with unusual math talent do not achieve their true potential unless they are given formal lessons. Therefore Jeff, who has achieved his full math potential without formal lessons must not have unusual math talent.

People who like dogs also like cats. Karen does not like cats, so she must not like dogs either.

why not b?

Edit: by carcass

Let me assist. Everything is wonderful with this question except one thing. It beats me that no one has pointed it out. CR is a logic not a creed.
The answer is not B C D or E.
Because they didnt even copy the logic pattern.
A as well did NOT parallel the logic pattern. It would have paralleled the logic pattern had it said, Studies show that shoe storeswith bigger ads in Today papers sell more than shoe stores with smaller ads in Today papers. The shoes store in the city sold more than shoe stores in the country side. Therefore. The shoes store in the city must have had a bigger advertisement in the Today paper than the shoes store in the countryside.

But the question asked, Which of the following most closely parallels the logical structure above?.
Now there are options from B through E that more closely copied the logic than the other.
We do not know if A copied the logic more than the other since A is not an argument. It has no premise.
We dont know what the heck led to the conclusion in A. It could be worse than the other options or better than them
So factually A as it stands in that argument CANNOT be the answer.
The other options like B seems to be part of A but got truncated by a typo.
Please jettison this question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [5]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 3.8
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here is a way I derived the answer A (after wrongly chose B) - I think it's just for my understanding, not sure if with this approach I will consume much more time or not during the real exam.

(The bracket indicate negate. e.g X, (X) = not X)

Please discuss more.

Thanks,
HL
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 58
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V36
Send PM
Kudos