Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Schools: Goizueta '16
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: High Undergrad GPA, Low Masters GPA - will this hurt chances [#permalink]
UGAtoUNC wrote:
Cobra - can you elaborate a little more about your undergraduate and graduate school experience? Also, what are you majoring in for your MBA?

For me, I graduated from a top regional university with a degree in banking and finance. Currently, I am in my Master's of Accountancy from a state university.

Sure. I graduated with a BS in Mechanical Engineering from an undergrad engineering program consistently in the top 20 according to US News. My GPA was a pedestrian 3.09. After about six years, the military sent me to get my masters in Civil Engineering at a Top 50 graduate program according to US News (despite the fact that I was admitted to a top 10 program, but that's another can of worms). My hope was that getting a 3.7 in my masters (finishing it in 1-year no less) would score me some points with the adcom, but I doubt it did. I'm interested in marketing, and grad school incurred a 3-year military obligation which delayed my application to last fall (I decided during my masters that I wanted to leave the military to get an MBA). This probably looks strange to the adcom that I would get a masters in civil engineering and then apply for an MBA. In hindsight, I wish I used the optional essay (even though I mentioned it in the interview) that I went to Grad school on orders and incurred a 3-year obligation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I am also curious about this. I recently graduated a masters in finance program (top school) with a 3.4 GPA, my undergrad GPA was 3.8

Anyone else have experience/input on this situation?

I'm also hoping to attending a top bschool for MBA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi guys,
I want to ask about reverse situation, I have only 2.22 GPA from undergraduate education ,however I will complete my MBA education probably with a GPA of above 3.7
Do I have a chance to be accepted to Phd programs in top 30 business schools ?
What is the significance of 2,22 GPA before completing MBA successfuly with 3,7 GPA in terms of admission?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
I am aiming to apply in R1. My GPA is a real challenge. How can I ensure that it has less impact and what can I do in these remaining months to balance it. I am confident of my work ex and getting a decent score in GMAT.

Kindly Suggest!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
ankitnoida2018 wrote:
I am aiming to apply in R1. My GPA is a real challenge. How can I ensure that it has less impact and what can I do in these remaining months to balance it. I am confident of my work ex and getting a decent score in GMAT.

Kindly Suggest!

Ankit,

You have not mentioned your GPA here or the rest of your profile, so I will give you some common advice and some options, which may apply to your situation:

1. Explain why your GPA was low. If there are specific and genuine reasons (not carelessness), then you can explain them in the best light, without offering excuses.
2. You can pin-point that the GPA score plummeted because of certain subjects that were more qualitative than quantitative (hence less relevant to an MBA).
3. If you need to prove your quant skills, you can enrol for quantitative courses in math and statistics at MBA Math.
4. Aim for a really high GMAT score (atleast 30 points above your target program's average GMAT score).
5. Project that you have an otherwise great profile that characterizes you better than a low GPA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Hi Namita,

Thanks a lot for your inputs :) Much appreciated.

MBADecoder wrote:
ankitnoida2018 wrote:

Kindly Suggest!

Ankit,

You have not mentioned your GPA here or the rest of your profile, so I will give you some common advice and some options, which may apply to your situation:

1. Explain why your GPA was low. If there are specific and genuine reasons (not carelessness), then you can explain them in the best light, without offering excuses.
2. You can pin-point that the GPA score plummeted because of certain subjects that were more qualitative than quantitative (hence less relevant to an MBA).
3. If you need to prove your quant skills, you can enrol for quantitative courses in math and statistics at MBA Math.
4. Aim for a really high GMAT score (atleast 30 points above your target program's average GMAT score).
5. Project that you have an otherwise great profile that characterizes you better than a low GPA.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
ankitnoida2018 wrote:
Hi Namita,

Thanks a lot for your inputs :) Much appreciated.

You are welcome :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
ankitnoida2018 wrote:

Kindly Suggest!

The best way to overcome a low GPA is to score high on GMAT. Get a balanced score. Go past the median.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Schools: Wharton
Send PM
opcomm wrote:
Hi guys,

My question: will this low grad school GPA affect my chances of admission?

I don’t think you should fret over one grade gone wrong in your grad program, especially when you’ve an otherwise stellar academic record. Schools look at GPA, GMAT, and other academic indicators to assess your prowess in handling the MBA curriculum, and just a GPA (unless it’s abysmally low) isn’t decisive. As far as MBA rankings are concerned, impact of GPA is almost insignificant. In U.S. News ranking, GMAT score gets twice the weight of GPA. And if you look at the weight of GMAT in the overall ranking, it pales in comparison to career outcomes (post-MBA placement, median salaries etc.). So, if you score well on GMAT, you can overcome an average GPA. And if you’ve a solid professional experience and if you convey that well, schools will be assured of the most important factor in MBA rankings – career outcome. FT ranking doesn’t take into account either GMAT or GPA. So does Bloomberg. And if you’re an applicant who went to a university which awards GPA on a scale other than 4.0, your GPA is likely not included in calculating the average GPA displayed on the class profile page. (Some schools disclose this - HBS being an example. Some are silent.)

In nutshell, score high on GMAT. Present a solid application. (This makes sense even from the perspective of rankings.)
GMAT Club Bot