Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Statistics
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V50
GPA: 3.17
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Marketing
GRE 1: Q160 V168
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Have been reading the forums, but have never posted until now. Not to be arrogant, but for certain reasons was confident I'd get an invite (now pretty surprised I didn't). What are the typical reasons that people with the right HBS profile don't get invites? Can give more info on myself if anyone wants to venture a guess why I didn't get the invite.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
noHBSinvite wrote:
Have been reading the forums, but have never posted until now. Not to be arrogant, but for certain reasons was confident I'd get an invite (now pretty surprised I didn't). What are the typical reasons that people with the right HBS profile don't get invites? Can give more info on myself if anyone wants to venture a guess why I didn't get the invite.

If you share your stats and we can certainly try to venture a guess.

And again, there is still next week.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [2]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
noHBSinvite wrote:

Not to say you did this, but one potential reason is resting on one's laurels and expecting pedigree to carry the day without tight essays and proper positioning.

Originally posted by kingfalcon on 30 Jan 2013, 15:03.
Last edited by kingfalcon on 30 Jan 2013, 15:10, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '15 (S)
Send PM
equestrian wrote:
epesesse wrote:
Hi again,

Sorry to insist, but I have a real issue here; I had a server crash at the time the invitation has been sent out.
The admission office refuses to provide me with my admission status, so no solution on that side either.

Is there any other information, somewhere, that indicates that you have been invited to an interview? Such as in the application file for example?

If someone has some info on this, that would be VERY nice of him/her!!

Many thanks

In the invite email it says "You will receive your official interview invitation via e-mail from us tomorrow, Thursday, January 31 at 12:00PM ET with a link to our online scheduling system. You will be able to sign-up for a specific interview slot at that time."

So just be ready at noon tomorrow and see if it comes? good luck

Hi Equestrian,

Thank you very much for the advice! That should solve the problem, indeed!

Congrats for your invitation!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats to everyone who got an invite today!! Please don't forget to update your profile, so it shows on the front page.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
noHBSinvite wrote:

Not to say you did this, but one potential reason is resting on one's laurels and expecting pedigree to carry the day without tight essays and proper positioning.

Understood. But had significant help (incl paid consultants), and spent a ton of time on them.

@hunterashmore thanks for your offer. I have a 3.65 from Notre Dame/Northwestern/Emory type school,710 (q45, v41). Worked in investment banking for two years at a top bank (gs/ms/jp morgan), then did my third year -- this year -- in a special assistant type role to a sr person at the firm (think coo/cfo/head of investment banking type level). Also had nationally recognized nonprofit leadership, etc. Also an hbs legacy. Any thoughts? Trying to figure out what I should be doing differently. For when I apply again in 2-3 years. Thank you. Sorry for the essay, just crushed about it.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Should add I realize a 710/3.65 isn't off the charts, but felt that my extracurricular stuff was what would really separate me. Thanks.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
noHBSinvite wrote:

NOT SAYING THIS IS YOU BUT IN ORDER OF IMPORTANCE

1 you actually have an unclear+ incorrect idea of what a typical "should get interview" profile is.
2. your recs were sub-par (compared to recs fr. peer group) and also hinted at
deal-breaker reasons which were in your app, e.g. smart but not team player, wld not be good in
case method setting for lotsa intangible reasons--all of this real, real subtle, but one small fart can kill you in this setting
3. you are in a disliked or over-crowded sector (finance) and again lots of small things in app got adcom lady's nose bent out of joint
4. bad luck or unfair outcome --e.g. you are right.
5 Of the above, number 1 is MOST freq.

Again, this is generic, don't know much about you except this odd and un-self-aware post, so good luck and write back next week and
tell us all to jump in a lake.
Real easy question for you: what is record of your current firm of placing kids at HBS or getting interviews, if over 50 pct, then
number 1 above is prob. not the case. If firm has no track record or little success, well, it could be No 1 above.

Originally posted by hbsguru on 30 Jan 2013, 15:33.
Last edited by hbsguru on 30 Jan 2013, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: HBS '18 (II)
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Theroen wrote:
Hey everyone, quick question: I applied for the 2+2 programme, so when my application went in, i was in uni and still unemployed. I recently received a job offer from a reputable firm though, so I was wondering if this is something the admissions committee would want to know or do they not accept any additional information after the deadline regardless of what that information might be?

If you have met with someone from HBS, maybe you could let them know informally. I wouldn't send HBS your contract or an official letter saying "BY THE WAY - I have a job"

I mean, where in the 2+2 application did you even say "I don't have a job". You're a college senior no? So...
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: HBS '18 (II)
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
noHBSinvite wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
noHBSinvite wrote:

Understood. But had significant help (incl paid consultants), and spent a ton of time on them.

@hunterashmore thanks for your offer. I have a 3.65 from Notre Dame/Northwestern/Emory type school,710 (q45, v41). Worked in investment banking for two years at a top bank (gs/ms/jp morgan), then did my third year -- this year -- in a special assistant type role to a sr person at the firm (think coo/cfo/head of investment banking type level). Also had nationally recognized nonprofit leadership, etc. Also an hbs legacy. Any thoughts? Trying to figure out what I should be doing differently. For when I apply again in 2-3 years. Thank you. Sorry for the essay, just crushed about it.

Don't stress. People DO get interview invites in the second wave. Seems like you are a pretty strong candidate. Also, why wait 2-3 years? Why not consider another school?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
Kudos
noHBSinvite wrote:
kingfalcon wrote:
noHBSinvite wrote:

I believe this post from R1 is relevant:

dwal44 wrote:
There are people who are disappointed right now after not hearing anything who definitely WILL get into HBS. There are people who are elated right now who will definitely NOT get into HBS.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE:General Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
BigRedMBA wrote:
Jinglander wrote:
Anyone WL from rd 1 get a invite today?

yeah I was waitlisted round 1 and got an invite today.

Congrats Big Red! HBS here you come.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.89
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Any updates for Asia, esp China? Thanks guys.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.84
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Well I'm definitely on the old end of the spectrum but I got an invitation to interview. Pretty stoked! Now I gotta wait and see for Stanford and Haas.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi, I just got the invite today, kind of surprised as I was told that I was too old for HBS (I'm 31).

I live in Brazil and while I know that HBS says that interviewing off-campus doesn't hurt your chances, do you guys think that doing an on-campus interview might in some way increase the odds of being accepted?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
rodrigoj wrote:
Hi, I just got the invite today, kind of surprised as I was told that I was too old for HBS (I'm 31).

I live in Brazil and while I know that HBS says that interviewing off-campus doesn't hurt your chances, do you guys think that doing an on-campus interview might in some way increase the odds of being accepted?

Thanks!

out of curiosity, who told you that you were too old (I'm also 31, btw).

I don't think it hurts your chances per se, but I felt being on campus helped. Not just from an interview standpoint - you can do a class visit, tour campus and Boston, and get a feel for the type of people you will be surrounded by for the next two years. That whole experience made me even more sure that HBS is where I want to be, and I honestly think that kind of excitement helps when you interview.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
rodrigoj wrote:

Thanks!

I don't think so at all. Schools that are sensitive about their yield rates will look at an interview on campus as a sign that the candidate is really interested. 90% of accepted students attend Harvard, so they're not worried that you *really* want to go there. Since the admissions team does the vast majority of interviews, I believe they also travel around the world to convenient locations on each (populous) continent. Others may disagree, but I really don't think you need to head to Cambridge.

Whoever told you that you were too old was foolish. Averages are just that, an average.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  44   45   46   47   48   49   50  ...  64   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts