Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [3]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Question on Volunteering [#permalink]
Thanks for your reply. I know it sounds kind of selfish or whatever that I would volunteer just to improve my application.

I understand that the volunteer work should meaningful to me and should be a long-term commitment. I just never got into volunteering, unless it was for school or required, so I don't know what I would volunteer for other than the quintessential soup kitchen.

Also, another major outside extracurricular I do is martial arts which I've done three years now for about about 3-4 times a week. That also takes up some time, so could at least use that to demonstrate I have extracurriculars.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Send PM
pgrennin wrote:

Also, another major outside extracurricular I do is martial arts which I've done three years now for about about 3-4 times a week. That also takes up some time, so could at least use that to demonstrate I have extracurriculars.

Bingo. That's a good one, it shows there's more to you than your job, and you have some history with it so it's obvious you didn't start doing it when you decided to apply to Bschool. Also, do you like to coach/mentor/give pointers to some of the newer guys? That's another angle you could work with it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
Kudos
i absolutely love the concept of volunteer vacations. Pay $7k to live in a mud hut in Africa for 10 days and writing an essay about their struggles on the airplane ride back. No the adcom will never think you did it for the resume boost ;)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Fair enough, when you say it like that it sounds stupid

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
CobraKai wrote:
pgrennin wrote:

Bingo. That's a good one, it shows there's more to you than your job, and you have some history with it so it's obvious you didn't start doing it when you decided to apply to Bschool. Also, do you like to coach/mentor/give pointers to some of the newer guys? That's another angle you could work with it.

You forgot to tell him to sweep the leg...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
CobraKai wrote:
pgrennin wrote:

You forgot to tell him to sweep the leg...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kr24G8jQpM[/youtube]
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
bond007 wrote:
i absolutely love the concept of volunteer vacations. Pay $7k to live in a mud hut in Africa for 10 days and writing an essay about their struggles on the airplane ride back. No the adcom will never think you did it for the resume boost ;)

I know you arent picking on me here, but wanted to offer a different persepective. I did a volunteer vacation for about 10 days to Africa. It was a chance to see a different part of the world in a way I wouldnt get to experience on a regular vacation so I got a small group of friends together and we did it. Definitely worthwhile and a different look on the world.

Just never came up on any of my applications (for the reason I didnt want them to think I was gunning for a resume boost), but I would still reccomend doing it.

I think everyone has the right idea above though. Don't do it to pad the resume. Adcom will sniff right through it, you won't enjoy it, and your wasting time and effort. Martial Arts probably makes for a pretty cool essay topic or paragraph in an essay.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
It is a fact that all countries do not have similar community involement opportunities and that there are jobs that require 80 hrs a week.
I find it quite strange actually. If you started volunteer activities recently you cant add into your apps, but if you start it between application and re-applicaiton, you can add and it will boost your app. May be too naive on this topic, but strange isnt it?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Statistics, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q36 V40
GPA: 3.16
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Products)
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
pgrennin wrote:

Just wanted to say thank you for pointing this one out. I'm in shoes similar to pgrennin's and neglected to think that my bicycle racing addiction may warrant mention on the app. Suppose I never thought that the volunteering and/or activities section could include things other than the usual. Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Real Estate
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
For the record, besides being an alumni interviewer for undergraduate admissions for my alma mater (which barely takes any time out of my year), all of my outside-of-work activities have been paid positions, and I was able to get into top schools. Everyone has his/her own path with things that they do outside of work, and volunteering, while noble, is only one of many things that you can do. The question, as echoed by other people in this post, is more about what it is that you do that gives the adcoms a better idea of who you are as a person and what you could possibly bring to the table if you are accepted into their class.

And that's not to say that you can't accomplish these things at work if you do work a lot. There are things that you can do at work - mentoring, initiatives, etc. - that can help bring that side of you out to the adcoms. But if all you do is work and have you eyes glued to your computer all day, chances are you're not going to be doing much to enhance the experience of your classmates.

My two cents.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
To that end...what if one simply does not like volunteering?

Without sounding like a jerk (proceed to sound like a jerk), I really don't care about [insert generic cause/food bank/homeless people/whatever]. That may be heartless, but I simply have no interest in helping these people.

That said, mentoring current students at my alma mater, fraternity, and within my profession is very important to me. Based on what I'm reading in this thread, tying those activities into my overall MBA story is the correct path, rather than forcing some fake "pretend that I care" activity over the next few months.

Yes?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
nickg1386 wrote:

Without sounding like a jerk (proceed to sound like a jerk), I really don't care about [insert generic cause/food bank/homeless people/whatever]. That may be heartless, but I simply have no interest in helping these people.

That said, mentoring current students at my alma mater, fraternity, and within my profession is very important to me. Based on what I'm reading in this thread, tying those activities into my overall MBA story is the correct path, rather than forcing some fake "pretend that I care" activity over the next few months.

Yes?

Correct. I think adcom just want to make sure you don't spend all of your free time playing video games, and that you have shown passion in something.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
nickg1386 wrote:

Yes?

Correct. I think adcom just want to make sure you don't spend all of your free time playing video games, and that you have shown passion in something.

Thank you. Makes sense.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Most, if not all, schools I looked at had an "extracurricular activities" section of the application, but not a specific "volunteer" section. Volunteering can be one of your ECs, but ECs does encompass a lot more than that.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot