Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Other
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [1]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: I got 450 my diagnostic test... HELP [#permalink]
Kudos
spla626 wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply! I will follow your advice! I need to practice, practice and practice, I guess. Actually, I normally understand what I do wrong and why a particular answer is correct. However, when I have to do it by myself in less than two minutes the things are not so easy.

No probs :)
Consider studying 'foundation of gmat quant' by manhattan gmat if you think you need soem more help.

Make flash cards and revise them every week. Quiz yourself every week. This helped me too. :)

Kudos if this helped :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Send PM
Kudos
A verbal 32 is not bad, but there is still room for improvement
For the moment, you have to focus on your quant score.
As Sachin9 said, read prep books with foundations (Manhattan's collection is excellent).
Do not underestimate seemingly simple math questions. Read every paragraph in detail and do the exercises to make sure you learned the concepts.

Do not overuse practice tests... they are limited resources.

Best
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rainfall wrote:
As Sachin9 said, read prep books with foundations (Manhattan's collection is excellent).
Do not underestimate seemingly simple math questions. Read every paragraph in detail and do the exercises to make sure you learned the concepts.

Best

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your attention. I like this community, where everybody helps each other. Another problem I have in quant is my slowness in mental calculus. The thinq is, how is suposed that a person with no math background at all will "compete" with a lot of people very well prepared in quant issues? That is one of my main concerns.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kudos
spla626 wrote:
rainfall wrote:

Best

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your attention. I like this community, where everybody helps each other. Another problem I have in quant is my slowness in mental calculus. The thinq is, how is suposed that a person with no math background at all will "compete" with a lot of people very well prepared in quant issues? That is one of my main concerns.

Mate,
You must never calculate anything mentally. Mental calculation is many many times error prone. Ron Purewal, world's best instructor, told me this.

As rainfall said, you gotto get used to the formulas and concepts and that might take sometime but with perseverance, you can tackle anything.

Go through the foundation book of quant by mgmat and then take their quant foundation test on thier website. This will give you a good idea about where you stand.

Any help u need, post your questions here! people would respond :)

Press Kudos if this helps :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.54
WE:Operations (Retail Banking)
Send PM
spla626 wrote:
I recently did my diagnostic test and got 450 (q 18 -yes, I know is sad- and v 32). I am not a native speaker so I was surprised with my relatively good verbal performance. On the other hand, my quant performance is really poor (only got 15 questions right). I am a lawyer and never studied math at college. I know that I have to strenght my quant abilities and think I can do it. Can anyone help me with some tips? Is it possible for me to achieve a 700?

Hi!

The most important thing is not to panic. I have a BS in Mathematics, but I have a hard time on some GMAT questions, because they test a few high-school level gimmicks, rather than the pure mathematics I studied in college.

My recommendation is to do the 13th Edition Official Review diagnostic (or any diagnostic for that matter) and see what types of questions you're prone to get wrong. Then, go out and buy the Manhattan GMAT books that pertain to those sections (I bought them all, because they show you a ton of useful tricks). Trust me - after doing five to ten questions of any given type, you're substantially more likely to get it right. Also - be sure to continue working on the Verbal; you're on the right track with your 32, but if you want to get a 700, you'll need to score somewhere in the low 40's.

Like I said - don't panic, and don't get discouraged. It takes a lot of determination, but I'm sure that a lawyer such as yourself has all the fundamental tools, verbal and quantitative, to do very well on the GMAT. You just need the practice.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
spla626 wrote:

You don't need very much to go from 'not prepared' to 'prepared' as far as GMAT goes since the concepts tested are very basic. GMAT assumes only high school Math proficiency. The problem is that high school was far back so a thorough brush up is a must. You need to go through a complete set of prep material along with sectional tests to get the concepts right. This step alone will bring your Math score in the 30s range. Thereafter, it will be a game of identifying weak areas and working again on them.
As for mental calculations, before you begin doing them, you need to 'know' a few things like multiplication tables. Remember, most GMAT questions can be solved in under a minute without putting your pen to the paper. You don't need to try that right now since you are just starting out. In fact, even if you do write down a few things, you still have enough time. But you need to be able to cut down steps by working them out in your mind else time will be short.
Check out my post on how to handle calculations in GMAT:
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2012/04 ... culations/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: I got 450 my diagnostic test... HELP... JUMPED TO 630... [#permalink]
I started this topic 3 months and 10 days ago. I needed help because I had taken my diagnostic test and scored just a poor 450 (18 q and 32 v). After following all the helpful advices -really really helpful-, I have recently taken the Gmat Prep I. The score was a happy surprise because it was a 630 (38 q 38 v). A jump of 180 point!

Now I have my real test scheaduled in two months -20th July-, and I would like to have more advice on how to use this two months left in order to make the last big jump ang get into the 700 swimming pool.

Particularly, I know what I have to do on quant -finish geometry, equations and ineqs and word translations guides from mgmat. the greates souce-. I think that after that I can reach low 40s in quant and then practice until be able to break the 45 barrier.

However, I assume that I won't be able to score 49 in two months left -I think my real limit is 47-, so I am interested in bringing my verbal score from 38 to 42, if possible. Any advice on that?

Any more general advice? I am making any wrong assumptions here? Will I be able to reach 700?

Thanks in advance
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4889 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
spla626 wrote:
I started this topic 3 months and 10 days ago. I needed help because I had taken my diagnostic test and scored just a poor 450 (18 q and 32 v). After following all the helpful advices -really really helpful-, I have recently taken the Gmat Prep I. The score was a happy surprise because it was a 630 (38 q 38 v). A jump of 180 point!

Now I have my real test scheaduled in two months -20th July-, and I would like to have more advice on how to use this two months left in order to make the last big jump ang get into the 700 swimming pool.

Particularly, I know what I have to do on quant -finish geometry, equations and ineqs and word translations guides from mgmat. the greates souce-. I think that after that I can reach low 40s in quant and then practice until be able to break the 45 barrier.

However, I assume that I won't be able to score 49 in two months left -I think my real limit is 47-, so I am interested in bringing my verbal score from 38 to 42, if possible. Any advice on that?

Any more general advice? I am making any wrong assumptions here? Will I be able to reach 700?

Thanks in advance

First of all, congrats on your 180 points jump!

To improve your Verbal score you should focus in order:
SC, CR and RC.

With practice you start to recognize some patterns in SC (parallelism, modifiers,...) and this will speed up your time in those questions.
Every second you save here can be useful in the other questions.

My advise is CR second and RC third because the skills you acquire with CR can be used also in RC.
So these sections can be seen as one under many points of view (inference, method of reasoning,...)

This is what works for me, hope you find it useful too
If you are looking for books on SC, I can recommend you the SC from the Veritas's Gmat Series or the SC form MGMAT.

One last thing: if you wanna know "what does it take to reach 700"take a look here.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Zarrolou wrote:
spla626 wrote:

Thanks in advance

First of all, congrats on your 180 points jump!

To improve your Verbal score you should focus in order:
SC, CR and RC.

With practice you start to recognize some patterns in SC (parallelism, modifiers,...) and this will speed up your time in those questions.
Every second you save here can be useful in the other questions.

My advise is CR second and RC third because the skills you acquire with CR can be used also in RC.
So these sections can be seen as one under many points of view (inference, method of reasoning,...)

This is what works for me, hope you find it useful too
If you are looking for books on SC, I can recommend you the SC from the Veritas's Gmat Series or the SC form MGMAT.

One last thing: if you wanna know "what does it take to reach 700"take a look here.

Thanks very much for your advise. I have tried SMARTGMAT and have liked too much. I think it provides a great insight on how to plan my time left before the test. After using it, my conclusion is that I need to balance my study. Because I think I won't be able to reach some percentiles in verbal nor in quant. Particularly, given the time left -two months-, I think I have a ceiling of 42 in verbal and 47 -at max- in quant, which gives a 730 -that would make me be sooo happy-.

The only but of SMARTGMAT is that it seems to assume that there are no limits of improving a particular area. For instance, as I said, I think that it is not possible for me to reach above 47 in quant -given the time left and my natural capabilities-, so much less to score a 50 or 51.

In spite of this, indeed, it is a great software.

Thanks again!
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
spla626 wrote:

Thanks in advance

That's some solid improvement but be prepared for more grilling over the next 2 months if you are aiming for 700. In fact, this 70 point jump will be more difficult than the 180 point jump. You must be comfortable with most basic concepts now. The problem will be advanced application. If you already know areas that you must first work on, great! It means there is still scope of good improvement with little effort. Once you finish the complete prep material, then take a test and figure out what score you are at. After that, the improvement is usually slower so keep your patience. Verbal has few basics but wide application so drill down those basics first - The various questions types in CR/RC - how to tackle each, the various errors in SC - the different forms it can take etc. Then practice as much as you can.
A 47-42 split is reasonable. Whether you will be able to reach 700 depends on your drive. It's certainly possible.
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Buddy try gmatclub Quant tests...They are tough and will prepare you to get high score.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you all people on the forum for your kind replies and knowledge.

I have a question. Yesterday i took a gmat prep. It's been a while since i took the last test. I got 760. But stop. These are not exactly good news: i had done before arround 70 % of the questions. I did not remember all the questions but they were familiar to me. However, when i knew the exact answer i did it wrong (this happened with 3 questions in quant). Anyway, that 760 is totally inflated.

But, my question is, where i am standing right now. Hundred points below? 50? 120? I do not know, and would like to have the insight of an expert or any people on the forums.

Second, i have done thousands of questions of all sources. So i cannot trust any test i find in the market (i think). How can i asses or test my level now?

I have my test on august 1. Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
spla626 wrote:
Thank you all people on the forum for your kind replies and knowledge.

I have a question. Yesterday i took a gmat prep. It's been a while since i took the last test. I got 760. But stop. These are not exactly good news: i had done before arround 70 % of the questions. I did not remember all the questions but they were familiar to me. However, when i knew the exact answer i did it wrong (this happened with 3 questions in quant). Anyway, that 760 is totally inflated.

But, my question is, where i am standing right now. Hundred points below? 50? 120? I do not know, and would like to have the insight of an expert or any people on the forums.

Second, i have done thousands of questions of all sources. So i cannot trust any test i find in the market (i think). How can i asses or test my level now?

I have my test on august 1. Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Try out our free question bank. There are tons of new questions in it. If you do well in them, you are good to go.
GMAT Club Bot