Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Marshall 2013 (USC) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Scholarship information will likely be in the admission binder that will be sent out to admits
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
C5z06 wrote:
Don't live downtown then. You can live in Brentwood, Santa Monica, Westwood, Venice, marina del Rey etc.

All the neighborhoods you mentioned are too far away from USC. The ones you mentioned are ideal for UCLA ...not USC.
Any of those places would be a bad commute everyday on I-10 freeway
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.19
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Zynga wrote:
C5z06 wrote:
Don't live downtown then. You can live in Brentwood, Santa Monica, Westwood, Venice, marina del Rey etc.

All the neighborhoods you mentioned are too far away from USC. The ones you mentioned are ideal for UCLA ...not USC.

I have spoken with quite a few current students who agree that most first year students live either in downtown LA or on the west side (Santa Monica, Westwood, Culver City) with a few commuter students living in Hollywood, Pasadena or the south bay (Manhattan Beach, Redondo, etc). Apparently, the majority of students then migrate to the west side for their second year in order to be more centralized between campus, fellow students, the beaches and other activities the west side has to offer. In order to skip this first step, I intend to move directly to the west side this summer. I currently live about 25 miles south of campus through some pretty rough areas so my current location would make for a hellish commute.

I believe the best "bang for your buck" is either Culver City, West LA or Santa Monica in that order (all considered on the "west side"). These areas are relatively cheap, only 5-10 miles from campus (accessible via surface streets if the I-10 is a nightmare during rush hour) and close to plenty of great shopping, dining/drinking and out door activities.

Downtown LA has cleaned up quite a bit over the last 10 years and is perfectly safe now but is very expensive (in comparison to other, nearby options) with minimal proximity to "extra-curricular" activities. While only a few miles from SC's campus (5-10 minute drive on surface streets), I do not think it is worth the price.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
@Apex: I agree with you on all points except Santa Monica. Santa Monica is as expensive as downtown. Parking is a pain in the a$$ there.
I think the golden mean would be Culver City/ Palms Area. Close to the beach, various activities and rent is reasonable compared to others. Of course commuting @rush hour is bad...better than from Santa Monica though.

Downtown has cleaned up quite a lot in the last few years especially near the LA live/ Disney concert hall area, but anything outside that 2 mile radius is still unsafe. And all the high rises in the safe neighborhood are ultra expensive
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Zynga wrote:
@Apex: I agree with you on all points except Santa Monica. Santa Monica is as expensive as downtown. Parking is a pain in the a$$ there.
I think the golden mean would be Culver City/ Palms Area. Close to the beach, various activities and rent is reasonable compared to others. Of course commuting @rush hour is bad...better than from Santa Monica though.

An open parking space in SM is definitely a rare sight and you're right, rent (although still under rent control in some areas) is still at a premium due to the desirable location which is a bit far from campus.

Palms is another good suggestion. The Palms/Culver City area is where I'll be looking this summer.

Zynga wrote:
Downtown has cleaned up quite a lot in the last few years especially near the LA live/ Disney concert hall area, but anything outside that 2 mile radius is still unsafe. And all the high rises in the safe neighborhood are ultra expensive

I 100% agree.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Zynga wrote:
C5z06 wrote:

I am familiar with the area. I am actually there right now. Living in LA will mean traffic. Besides, from what I hear the first semester will not have us leaving campus at 5pm, more likely 9-10pm. No traffic then.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GPA: 3.67
WE:Information Technology (Education)
Send PM
The best demographic and financial bet would be Culver City. I mean the Expo line travels right through USC. Keep your costs low and it's quickly becoming a scene for younger folks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Got an email from Roger Salazar confirming my admission and telling me that the admission packet has been dispatched and should be on its way now. Did anyone else hear anything?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
slugabedd wrote:
Got an email from Roger Salazar confirming my admission and telling me that the admission packet has been dispatched and should be on its way now. Did anyone else hear anything?

I have not heard anything since my admission call on Friday 2/1. If the admission packets were sent out yesterday, hopefully I'll receive it today so I'll be keeping an eye out...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
slugabedd wrote:

I got a similar email. He also left me a voice mail telling me to expect the admission packet by the end of the week (I'm on the east coast)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Anyone receive their binders yet? Wonder how long it will take them to ship to Asia..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
caliboy83 wrote:
Anyone receive their binders yet? Wonder how long it will take them to ship to Asia..

If they have sent them out today, Tuesday, you should be getting your hands on all that information by this week for sure. Domestics sooner than international of course.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Send PM
I'm in. They are super fast!! Did my interview on 5th Feb, and got my admission email on 6th.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
infinitie wrote:
I'm in. They are super fast!! Did my interview on 5th Feb, and got my admission email on 6th.

You are lucky dude. I, and most others, had to wait for more than a month to get my decision. Seems like you were almost through even without the interview and they just wanted to make sure you are not a weirdo by talking to you once. Congrats.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Received my binder today. No mention of scholarship in the letter. Does anyone know if this is the only way to know if you received a scholarship or not? I'm not sure if I should bother emailing admissions (just in case)...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
webster64 wrote:
Received my binder today. No mention of scholarship in the letter. Does anyone know if this is the only way to know if you received a scholarship or not? I'm not sure if I should bother emailing admissions (just in case)...

I received my binder today as well and I don't don't think I received any scholarship/fellowship help either.

In the "Class of 2015: Ready to Go" section of the binder, under "Financial Aid: General Information" it states that "Fellowship recipients, both domestic and international, are notified of their award with the official letter of admission from Marshall." I am guessing this is referring to the personalized admissions letter on the watermarked Marshall letterhead that was in an envelope in the shipping box along with the binder. There is no mention of an award on my letter so I think I'm out of luck...

However, there is quite a bit of really helpful info in the binder so everyone, keep an eye out for yours and I hope a pleasant surprise awaits in your official admissions letter.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
webster64 wrote:

I got my binder too. There's no info about scholarship...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  21   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts