Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Yale '18
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Rice University (Jones) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: How Do Firms Recruit for Interns? [#permalink]
Kudos
Yes to everything HoosierDaddy said.

Also - Undergrad institution, Major, undergrad GPA, and GMAT can look good, but don't help that much. Your work experience is by far the biggest factor.

If your a career switcher, even in a FT program, its not too bad if your switching roles / same industry or switching industry / similar role. Switching industry and role is hard, but not impossible.
- Network/hussle to get a pre-MBA internship
- Get some part-time experience at a firm, maybe have to go small and network your way in.
- At least: do coffee meetings and info interviews with people in your target field so you'll have some warm contacts.

Couple things for Finance/Investment Management (only because that's the stuff I know more about):
- If you want to switch into finance, passing the CFA level 1 could help (but June is the only opportunity you have to do this before school and its a lot to study for)
- If you have access to a Bloomberg terminal, you can take some tutorials and tests to get certified. We have several on campus, I've only done the basic training, but employers like to talk about it in interviews.
- Take a modeling/valuation course. Chances are, these guys will come to campus anyway for weekend workshops, and you can take the course at a deep discount (email the school or finance club about this). But you could do this before school for a leg up. Employers like to ask about this on my resume too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Byau wrote:
Title says it all. As I understand it, firms begin summer internship recruitment very quickly after students come on campus. What are the primary factors they use to make their decisions for who to interview? Just the resume? Do they ask for undergraduate GPA? Or GMAT? What about for schools with grade non disclosure? What if you are a career switcher?

I can only speak to consulting...

At Booth it really comes down to networking (and there are TONS of on-campus opportunities to do this). Everyone has stellar work experience, GPA/GMAT, etc. So unless you have something truly spectacular on your resume, you'll need to network hard to get an interview. The firms want to interview/hire people who have expressed a lot of interest in them and actually want to work there. So it's critical that they recognize your name when they're sorting through applications and resumes in the winter.

That said, getting an interview is only the first step. After that, everyone is pretty much on a level playing field again and all that matters is how well you perform in the interview and on the case.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Glad I bumped into this thread!
How about Entrepreneurs. Will they get any internships? If not, What do they do all summer? Kind of curious!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
First understand what interested, go to select a company
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
pmikki wrote:
Glad I bumped into this thread!
How about Entrepreneurs. Will they get any internships? If not, What do they do all summer? Kind of curious!

Entrepreneurs and internship is almost paradoxical. Those who are interested in entrepreneurship take 3 different paths: 1) work for a start up to understand what it takes to start a company; 2) work for a VC to understand how to get funding, and 3) spending time to start the company.

For these paths, networking is essentially. And the timing of the offer doesn’t follow a strict timeline. Start-ups and VCs do not forecast their hiring pipeline a year or two ahead. Openings can come up at anytime; hence, the importance of networking, so that you will know of the opportunity and be on top of mind at the target companies.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Last post of asimoy is simple and very good to understand. I like that. Indeed the internship and entrepreneurship is different things. You post is highlighting the entrepreneurship which is far different and more was then the internship. As per my self when it comes to starting your own business the things are quite changed. Also the social interaction is very important when it comes to start your own business.

Certificate 4 in Training & Assessment
GMAT Club Bot