Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [2]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2260 [2]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [2]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (M)
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Re: Visiting Indian School of Business [#permalink]
debayan222 wrote:
fameatop wrote:
Q) What is the strength of ISB in terms of Fields such as Finance, Marketing, Consulting etc.
Q) To what extent ISB helps in switching career.
Q) What percent of the students get into Investment management, Private Equity & Consulting (In India as well as in Abroad)
Q) Which companies in India generally Finance their employees to Pursue MBA from ISB (Company Sponsored).

Hope to hear from you soon.

fameatop-Great questions..Kudos !

Souvik-on top of these EXCELLENT questions raised by fameatop,I would request you to add these:

1.To what extent the top Management Consulting firms have an active presence on ISB campus, I mean do they take a good chunk of the class like the top US or European magnet schools for these firms ?
2.The same question for the Investment banks...
3.Does ISB offer merit based or profile based scholarships covering some or most of the tuition fees for Indian applicants as what they do for International candidates ?If yes,please elaborate.

this should probably answer your first two questions..
Attachments

Placement-Report-2012.pdf [349.18 KiB]
Downloaded 311 times

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Send PM
Hey souvik-just curious to know how it's going dude!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
kaushinside wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
fameatop wrote:
Q) What is the strength of ISB in terms of Fields such as Finance, Marketing, Consulting etc.
Q) To what extent ISB helps in switching career.
Q) What percent of the students get into Investment management, Private Equity & Consulting (In India as well as in Abroad)
Q) Which companies in India generally Finance their employees to Pursue MBA from ISB (Company Sponsored).

Hope to hear from you soon.

fameatop-Great questions..Kudos !

Souvik-on top of these EXCELLENT questions raised by fameatop,I would request you to add these:

1.To what extent the top Management Consulting firms have an active presence on ISB campus, I mean do they take a good chunk of the class like the top US or European magnet schools for these firms ?
2.The same question for the Investment banks...
3.Does ISB offer merit based or profile based scholarships covering some or most of the tuition fees for Indian applicants as what they do for International candidates ?If yes,please elaborate.

this should probably answer your first two questions..

kaushinside,
Yeah you're right and per their placement report, it seems ISB's placement in IB or Finance is not to that extent as compared to its US counterparts....They should give it a serious push I think as it does fit well undoubtedly in global top 15-20 rankings (say, US News/FT etc.)...

Souvik-It would be great if you can raise this point tomorrow if not done already....
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
dude its in march...
so a month from now
Retired Moderator
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
dude its in march...
so a month from now

Oopsss! sorry man ! Overlooked it.... :roll:

BTW, good sign is that you'll gonna have lots of inputs before going there... 8-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Send PM
good initiative by ISB, but 1 article has always made me skeptic about the school's claims

Please check if they can justify the international placement figures on their official site for class of 2007.
https://www.isb.edu/media/UsrSiteNewsMgmt.aspx?topicID=181

considering 2007, the figures are simply stunning and beat HSW hands down, which is quite unlikely for a young school, not so high in international rankings.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Souvik, Please add these queries :
1. How useful ISB is for people who are working in middle management, age group (35-45) and experience more than 10 years.
2. Is there any disadvantage in campus placement for these people.
3. Would ISB prefer or do not prefer these people in admission process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 07-18-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
I've been working in IT for little more than 2.5 years now. I'm looking to give my GMAT this year and get into a top B-school....though i would love it if i bagged a seat in either ISB or NBS singapore....simply because these are a lot closer to home and also cost lesser. Any tips on study plans (though this is off topic)...would be appreciated....

I would really like to know the pros and cons of ISB's 1 year program as compared to that of a regular 2 year course. I feel that a 1 year course would be better for those who have atleast 6 years of experience (as they would have atleast some management responibilities by this time)
Retired Moderator
Send PM
SickOfIT wrote:
I've been working in IT for little more than 2.5 years now. I'm looking to give my GMAT this year and get into a top B-school....though i would love it if i bagged a seat in either ISB or NBS singapore....simply because these are a lot closer to home and also cost lesser. Any tips on study plans (though this is off topic)...would be appreciated....

I would really like to know the pros and cons of ISB's 1 year program as compared to that of a regular 2 year course. I feel that a 1 year course would be better for those who have atleast 6 years of experience (as they would have atleast some management responibilities by this time)

SickOfIT-First I think you're talking about NUS Singapore...don't think there is any over there as 'NBS'...At least not in the Tier-1 league :)

So, NUS Singapore is an awesome program in Asia...best in Singapore-the largest business hub of Asia.Their program is a few months longer than a year I think.

ISB in India is at par with IIM A, B, C...Only difference is that it's 1 year marathon (you won't get the opportunity to Internship...) and accepts through GMAT ONLY.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 07-18-2013
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thanks Debayan....i meant Nanyang Business School....well i shall check out NUS as well now...:D....so how is Nanyang Business School in your opinion?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
SickOfIT wrote:
Thanks Debayan....i meant Nanyang Business School....well i shall check out NUS as well now...:D....so how is Nanyang Business School in your opinion?

No worries !

Ah ! Nanyang..they're also good... Don't you think SP Jain,MDI,Gurgaon in India are great ? So same here with NBS in Singapore.But NUS is among the best B-Schools in the world like top three IIMS/ISB you know !

P.S: Instead of saying 'thanks',custom in the Club is that we press Kudos :)

And you know what your name is similar to my PM..but don't think he aspires to do MBA at this stage :wink:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
eYsYs wrote:
good initiative by ISB, but 1 article has always made me skeptic about the school's claims

Please check if they can justify the international placement figures on their official site for class of 2007.

considering 2007, the figures are simply stunning and beat HSW hands down, which is quite unlikely for a young school, not so high in international rankings.

I think I got an accurate response from ISB in the worst possible way - they removed the page content 3 days after I posted :evil:

The controversial page content was:

2007 Placement Summary
Over all, the Class of 2007 at the ISB has achieved excellent placement results. The average domestic salary was Rs15.03 lacs with the highest domestic offer being Rs 43.91 lacs. The average international salary was USD 135,000 ( Rs 59.5 lacs ) while the highest international salary was USD 269,000 (Rs1.18crores) “The high CTC levels demonstrate the confidence that companies have in the high quality of the ISB’s management talent, said Dean Rao. He also added a word of caution saying, “We need to take a balanced view of international offers given by multinational companies. I urge everyone to use these figures in the proper context so that potential students may get the correct picture of what they can achieve in a management institution.” The Class of 2007 graduated on April 7, 2007 at a grand ceremony during which Shri Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission, was the Chief Guest. The new Class of 2008 will join the ISB on April 15, 2007.

For the skeptic ones, I have attached the saved page here.
Attachments

ISB.zip [108.24 KiB]
Downloaded 246 times

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
1.) What does ISB attribute its fall in FT rankings to?
2.) For the better part of their advertisements ISB lists itself among the best international schools, then why does ISB persist with the grade disclosure policy, unlike the top schools around the world. On similar premise, how does ISB aim to increase its international student enrollment.
3.) How has the Mohali campus added to the pressure of placing >700 students when the economy is not so good.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (M)
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
eYsYs wrote:
eYsYs wrote:

I think I got an accurate response from ISB in the worst possible way - they removed the page content 3 days after I posted :evil:

The controversial page content was:

2007 Placement Summary
Over all, the Class of 2007 at the ISB has achieved excellent placement results. The average domestic salary was Rs15.03 lacs with the highest domestic offer being Rs 43.91 lacs. The average international salary was USD 135,000 ( Rs 59.5 lacs ) while the highest international salary was USD 269,000 (Rs1.18crores) “The high CTC levels demonstrate the confidence that companies have in the high quality of the ISB’s management talent, said Dean Rao. He also added a word of caution saying, “We need to take a balanced view of international offers given by multinational companies. I urge everyone to use these figures in the proper context so that potential students may get the correct picture of what they can achieve in a management institution.” The Class of 2007 graduated on April 7, 2007 at a grand ceremony during which Shri Montek Singh Ahluwalia, Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission, was the Chief Guest. The new Class of 2008 will join the ISB on April 15, 2007.

For the skeptic ones, I have attached the saved page here.

Dear eYsYs,

If there would have been a correlation between your post and the removal of the page, as you claim, it would have not taken them three full days to do so..

Their website, just like those of other reputed colleges anywhere else in the world, is viewed not only by prospective students but also by recruiters, govt. policy makers and the ilk.

Frankly, if they even cared a little about the 'visibility' of a web page with allegedly questionable content, they would have removed it long ago and would not have waited until some one posted a link to that page on a forum.

ISB admissions team is directly reachable through phone and email. You could pick this up with them in case you want to verify the validity..

All the best for your MBA journey!

cheers!

and btw, the page is NOT removed.
the link still works..! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just to clear things out here, I got a call from a friend of mine who lives in a different city to tell me that the link has been taken down. So I had checked myself before making the last post.
But now, this has to be said: I apologize.

Since the link is up now, I think we all can get back to the original issue at hand - The 2007 placement summary.
Isn't there anyone else who feels the same regarding this placement data?
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
Reached ISB yesterday.
As usual the air India flight had me waiting for 3 hours in the Calcutta airport. So i mostly spent all evening trying to sleep at which clearly I failed.
Conference today starts at 9:30 (in an hour from now).
Probably I wont get to ask questions today (the Q&A session is a big part of the last day but I will definitely keep this thread updated on what all happened.
Stay tuned :-)
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts