Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
nyukellogg2015 wrote:
Dakells wrote:
chendere wrote:
Applied Oct 1
interviewed end of Oct
Admitted end of Jan

background:
CFA
Prop trader at BB
6yrs work exp
UmichRoss BBA GPA 3.5
GMAT 740

I'm not sure how Fuqua can be an alternative to Columbia?
Seems like some people are choosing between them?
Maybe it's the Michigan Duke rivalry talking but is Columbia and Duke even in the same league?

Ha! You're probably referring to me. If you read the thread I posted, the reason I am torn is because I want to do brand management and quite a few of my target companies are not on Columbia's employment report but are on Duke's. I'm hoping maybe that just means that is because they didn't hire anyone from Columbia but still recruit there. I don't know, you always hear about Columbia in the context of finance, but not marketing. So while I realize Columbia's reputation is better than Duke's, at the end of the day I want to go where I have a better chance of getting in front of the companies I want to work for. So that is why I'm questioning!

Hey - Which companies specifically are you referring to here?

Off the top of my head, Mars, Campbell's (Pepperidge Farm), Colgate Palmolive, Heinz, General Mills, P&G, Coca Cola. Some of the last ones on the list I'd really only be interested in for internship since I do want to end up in NY area after school, but an internship at Coke would definitely help with getting into Pepsi I would think.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Just got dinged, applied before merit scholarship deadline.

Originally posted by kookie on 12 Feb 2013, 12:44.
Last edited by kookie on 12 Feb 2013, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.8
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
highhopes75 wrote:
Anybody out there who applied on 1/09 and still hasn't heard back? Seems like a good amount of people have heard back.

I'm still waiting and was trying to figure out if anyone on the boards knew anything.

FWIW, I have interviews at both HBS and Wharton, so am hopeful (although by no means certain), that I will get a chance to talk to CBS as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
First time poster, long time lurker. Just got the acceptance call today and will be attending! Applied 1/7, interview invitation 2/1, interview 2/3, accepted 2/13. Who's attending CBS Connect this week??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q39 V45
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
old1442 wrote:
Azn84 wrote:
just got dinged by Columbia... I'm kind of surprised because it was my safety school...

Applied Jan 9th..

some great schools on your list.. dont be hesitant to apply to more round 3 (maybe a few lower ranked as well if you def wna go this year).. i too applied to hbs, columbia, and wharton, but also to nyu, mccombs, and usc.. im sure you could share your goals and get some good school recommendations

Agreed. I don't think anybody can really consider a Top 10 school a safety school. The admissions process is so competitive and with acceptance rates in the teens percentage wise nobody is a shoe-in

[chains1910]I feel that, I would be quite happy to have an admit/ding profile just like your mappleby. All it takes is that one right acceptance.

It honestly was not meant as an insult to other applicants that I thought Columbia as my safety school.

@ old1442 - I am just at a point in my career that a lower rank schools won't give me the leverage I need. I work for your typical large bracket firm, have been working for almost 6 years (in Aug) - made from Analyst to VP in 2.5 years, and if I stay i'll probably make SVP in the next year or so, and Director in another 4. I am pursuing an MBA, because I want to switch tracks - move to consulting and do something elsewhere. I also have a visa issue, I'm not American, and the visa sponsorship really limits the opportunities you have from a lower rank school. It would kill me to beg my boss to let me back in after spending all that money on a brand name lol.

@Mappleboy - Admission process clearly is a black box. I was invited to attend all sorts of special women events at Columbia, which I did. Thus, as I mentioned, veyr surprised.

@chains1910 - Word. I really hope mine would be Wharton, or Kellogg or LBS lol. I guess I am definitely leaving Manhattan if I pursue an MBA :( :lol: :cry:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
StickerShock wrote:
aerien wrote:
Azn84 wrote:
just got dinged by Columbia... I'm kind of surprised because it was my safety school...

Applied Jan 9th..

Sorry to hear that but I don't think anyone can consider CBS their safety school (unless of course you're that one stellar guy who gets in to every top school). Good luck on your other apps. You have some great schools picked out and hopefully you hear good news soon.

Got dinged two hours ago. Had applied on 9th Jan.

This is what the email from Columbia says(Like really)

Dear Mr. Sticker Shock

In case you didn’t already know, you have been unsuccessful. We didn’t receive many applications, and even then, yours stood out as being the most mediocre. The hours you spent on the application would have been better spent in the pub. And you should also consider alternative career paths aside an MBA.

Kind Regards

CBS Admissions

WORD!!! For $250 bucks, atleast get me a printed letter on some nice stationary!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
WE:Other (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Dakells wrote:

Off the top of my head, Mars, Campbell's (Pepperidge Farm), Colgate Palmolive, Heinz, General Mills, P&G, Coca Cola. Some of the last ones on the list I'd really only be interested in for internship since I do want to end up in NY area after school, but an internship at Coke would definitely help with getting into Pepsi I would think.

OK Interesting - so those companies did not hire from CBS last year? That's actually very surprising (especially P&G). 2012 employment report verifies what you're saying. So from your research, and aside from CBS, are you leaning towards Fuqua or Stern?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
@Dakells, I would guess a lot of that is probably due to location. Duke gets Coke since a lot of their recruiting goes to Atlanta (a la consulting and Deloitte). Columbia likely gets PepsiCo and Unilever since they're in Purchase and NJ. I don't think many schools get actively recruited from by both Pepsi & coke or Unilever & p&g. It seems to be one or the other, but all the top schools do have at least 1 big guy per category.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
aerien wrote:
@Dakells, I would guess a lot of that is probably due to location. Duke gets Coke since a lot of their recruiting goes to Atlanta (a la consulting and Deloitte). Columbia likely gets PepsiCo and Unilever since they're in Purchase and NJ. I don't think many schools get actively recruited from by both Pepsi & coke or Unilever & p&g. It seems to be one or the other, but all the top schools do have at least 1 big guy per category.

Yes, agreed, makes sense. I just don't get Mars and Colgate, Mars is in NJ and Colgate is in NYC, odd. Maybe Colgate just didn't hire anyone, but recruits, not sure, I've been told though that Mars doesn't come/ or post at all (as a sweets fiend this particularly bums me out). Who knows there are always alums to reach out to I suppose though who can maybe help.

NYUKellogg - I'm still deciding, not ready to commit yet! Leaning towards Columbia overall, but between NYU and Duke I am leaning towards Duke. Aside from the fact that I loved the program, if I'm going to give up Columbia for more companies that I'm interested in, then I would probably go with Duke which has a lot more of the companies rather than NYU which only has slightly more. If I stayed in NYC I just don't think I could see myself going with NYU over Columbia. Probably doesn't make the most sense, but oh well!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
It doesn't matter if it makes sense to us. It just has to make sense to you :)

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Dakells wrote:
NYUKellogg - I'm still deciding, not ready to commit yet! Leaning towards Columbia overall, but between NYU and Duke I am leaning towards Duke. Aside from the fact that I loved the program, if I'm going to give up Columbia for more companies that I'm interested in, then I would probably go with Duke which has a lot more of the companies rather than NYU which only has slightly more. If I stayed in NYC I just don't think I could see myself going with NYU over Columbia. Probably doesn't make the most sense, but oh well!

At the risk of sounding selfish - are u taking yourself off the Kellogg/Wharton Waitlist? :o
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Indian applicant here, applied on 9th Jan..Still waiting to hear anything from Columbia :roll: :roll:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
skelet0r wrote:
First time poster, long time lurker. Just got the acceptance call today and will be attending! Applied 1/7, interview invitation 2/1, interview 2/3, accepted 2/13. Who's attending CBS Connect this week??

Skeletor that's a super fast interview turnaround from invite to invitation. When did you get your interview feedback submitted?
Kellogg School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
skelet0r wrote:

Wow that was quick!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General , Finance
 Q49  V32 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
GPA: 4
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Private Equity
Send PM
Obviously , Its a parody.

:P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General , Finance
 Q49  V32 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
GPA: 4
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Private Equity
Send PM
Maximus2013 wrote:
Indian applicant here, applied on 9th Jan..Still waiting to hear anything from Columbia :roll: :roll:

Only Dings going out so far for those who applied (Atleast on this thread). So hope that you dont hear soon.

Originally posted by StickerShock on 13 Feb 2013, 02:52.
Last edited by StickerShock on 13 Feb 2013, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
skelet0r wrote:

Attending. I think there's a facebook page linked to on one of these posts... though I'm not an active facebook user. Might be nice to make a list of forum members who are attending if there's interest.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  66   67   68   69   70   71   72  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts