Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [47]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [3]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: A Young Applicant's Advice [#permalink]
Kudos
Great post and a tremendous achievement...at any age! Wanted to mention Stanford GSB for the college kids. They take both direct and deferred enrollment.
https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/mba/admission/college_seniors.html

Agree with you about the concerns with respect to the Yale program. My bigger issue would be starting with one class and finishing with another...I think it kind of robs you of the bonds you'll form with your classmates over two years.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
And the member of the month award goes to......
Awesome post bro!
I am one of the people who were craving for someone like you who made it when they were 24-25.
Heartiest congratulations and I hope to follow your footsteps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Amazing post, aerien! I can relate to so much of what you're saying as a fellow 24 year old. I had a few friends applying to 2+2 and Silver Scholars during our senior year of college and, fearing the tough job market and lacking direction as a liberal arts student, I almost jumped on the MBA application bandwagon with them. My academic advisor was the one who set me in the right direction; she actually got her MBA right after school and really regretted not having a few years of work experience and advised me to work for a few years first.

2.5 years of work experience later, I'm very glad I took my academic advisor's advice. Even though I'm not in the position I want to be long-term, I've matured a lot and gained so many valuable professional skills and have a much better idea of what I want to do. Would I benefit from an MBA even more if I waited another year or two to apply? Maybe, my Tuck rejection letter actually seemed to imply as much (a select portion of rejected applicants are told to reapply with Tuck coaching and another year of experience). While I do think some professional work experience is probably helpful for the majority of applicants (if partly to help defray the hefty burden of student loans!), I really don't think the average 5-6 years at most schools is necessary for all.

I also agree with kingfalcon's advice. I think there can sometimes be a lot of pressure to take a more "traditional" career path in order to set yourself up well for business school. Beyond the sound wisdom that you shouldn't pick a path purely out of a sense of obligation, the irony is that you may make it harder to distinguish your application later on. You'll see so many posts on these forums saying that traditional candidates in consulting, finance, etc. often have to work that much harder to stand out. Working at a non-profit or start-up could be a valuable experience in its own right, with the perk of being a bit more unique on your application.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [2]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Kudos
One piece of advice I have for future young applicants: worry more about your quality (and, to some extent, quantity) of work experience than your age. While I will "only" be 25 at matriculation, I will have more than four years of work experience at that point. I had always worried that the disconnect between my age (admittedly young) and years of work experience (pretty typical) would negatively impact my admissions results, but thankfully it hasn't.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks, kingfalcon! Those are 2 pieces of great advice. If anyone else has anymore, keep them coming and I'll update my post with the compilation.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
One piece of advice I have for future young applicants: worry more about your quality (and, to some extent, quantity) of work experience than your age. While I will "only" be 25 at matriculation, I will have more than four years of work experience at that point. I had always worried that the disconnect between my age (admittedly young) and years of work experience (pretty typical) would negatively impact my admissions results, but thankfully it hasn't.

This is exactly right. I'll have only 3 years of full-time work experience when I start school, but the quality was definitely there. It is INCUMBENT on you to explain (in a non-esoteric way) the value you bring to your business. In many cases, you might have job responsibilities typically reserved for people of a higher title or several years your senior. You need to explain this via your resume very clearly. Additionally, you need to work with your rec writers to help make this story cohesive.

Furthermore, you do NOT have to address your age in your essay. If you have high quality experience, that will speak enough for you. You need to show very concrete career goals and have an explicit conception of what you plan to do with your MBA and why NOW (without addressing age).

I'm happy to answer questions via PM. My profile is here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/2013-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-136339-40.html#p1180558.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos ! Very informative post !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Great post, as a young applicant it's nice to see/hear about some success stories.

Thank you, and congratulations.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Tuck '15
Send PM
This is an awesome post..

It's a great read for anyone in a similar situation. 1-6 are all spot on!
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3126 [0]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Tremendous Post.
Thank you for the advice.

- Stone Cold (Another young applicant)
GMAT Club Bot