Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [203]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619014 [81]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [10]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: The sequence a1, a2, a3, ..., an of n integers is such that ak = k if [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I'll take a shot at explaining ...

If k is odd we know all the values are +ve and are equal to k (e.g. 1,3,5,7...)
If k is even we know all the values are -ve and are equal to the value of the prior term (e.g. a2 = -1,a4=-3... so the values will be, -1,-3,-5,-7 ....)

1, -1, 3, -3, 5, -5 .....

So as you can see at this point we know that for every value of k (when odd) we have a -ve value from when K is even, unless N (total terms) is odd in which case we will have one extra +ve term that will not cancel out. So if we have even number terms we know the result will be 0 (which is not positive). Therefore to get a positive sum we need one extra odd term.

Try it out,

N=5
1, -1, 3, -3, 5 (if add them, everything cancels out except 5, which is positive).

N=6
1, -1, 3, -3, 5, -5 (if add them, everything cancels out, result is not positive).

So, before looking at the statements we are able to rephrase the question to: "Is the number terms in the sequence odd?"

Statement 1: Gives us exactly that, therefore sufficient.
Statement 2: Well, it gives the same thing but instead of saying the number of terms is odd, it says the last term is +ve, which means the same thing as per our sequence above, there sufficient.

Answer D.

I hope this helps and makes sense.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: The sequence a1, a2, a3, ..., an of n integers is such that [#permalink]
Kudos
Now this is what i dont understand. They just mention "k" (i guess constant) but k can take any value -1,-3 or +2. SHouldnt the answer be B then because the statement 2 specifically says that an is positive.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619014 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
maddyboiler wrote:
Now this is what i dont understand. They just mention "k" (i guess constant) but k can take any value -1,-3 or +2. SHouldnt the answer be B then because the statement 2 specifically says that an is positive.

\(k\) in \(a_k\) is a subscript, meaning that \(a_k\) is \(k_{th}\) term in the given sequence which starts from \(a_1\), thus k must be some positive integer.

Complete solution is here: the-sequence-a1-a2-a3-an-of-n-integers-is-such-that-76926.html#p1162192

Hope it helps.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10012 [3]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
maddyboiler wrote:

dont go into complex things. Just visualize the sequence

It can be 2 way

1,-1, 3,-3, 5,-5, 7,-7 ending in negative term The sum will be zero in this case

1,-1, 3,-3, 5,-5, 7 ending in positive term The sum will be the last term of sequence

we have asked is the sum positive ? ----------> is the sequence as per 2nd case ? ----------> is the a(n) odd ? or is the a(n) positive ? both the statements answer these questions so both are sufficient
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [1]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: The sequence a1, a2, a3, ..., an of n integers is such that ak = k if [#permalink]
Kudos
(1) n is odd
If n is 5, for instance, then a5=5, a4=-3, a3=3, a2=-1, a1=1 (I used each of the equations listed above to get these numbers I just followed the pattern) When added together [5+(-3)+(3)+(-1)+(1)] the result is +ve5
You could also plug-in 7 for n to make sure and you would still get a +ve result-follow the same pattern.
This statement alone is sufficient.

(2) an is +ve/ means the result must be +ve not zero or -ve

If n=5 (you get the same result as in statement 1)
However, if you let n=4/ following the same procedure as above (statement 1) you will see that the result is 0; therefore, one can conclude that n must be an odd number to get a +ve result. n cannot be even. This statement alone is also sufficient.

The answer is D.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
The sequence a1, a2, a3, ... an of n integers is such that ak=k if k is odd, and ak=−a(k-1) if k is even. Is the sum of the terms in the sequence positive?

(1) n is odd.
-->n = a(n)
For example:
a1 = 1
a2 = -1
a3 = 3
--->Sum of a1; a2; a3 = 3--->a positive integer-->The sum of odd terms is positive--->Sufficient

(2) a(n) is positive
--->n is odd--->The total number is odd--->The sum of odd terms is positive--->Sufficient
--->The answer is D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
What i dont understand is the assumption that the sequence starts with a positive term i.e. a1 is positive. If i start with a1= -1, a2= 1, a3 = -3 then the sum is negative. If i start with a1 = 1 the sum is positive. And if i take the values to be even, the sum is zero.

From statement 1, we know that n is odd. Therefore the sum is not 0, but it could be positive or negative. INSUFFICIENT.

From statement 2, we know An is positive, meaning there are odd terms in the sequence, with the last term being positive. SUFFICIENT.

So B should be the answer. Please tell me where i'm wrong in this solution.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619014 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
beenish12 wrote:
What i dont understand is the assumption that the sequence starts with a positive term i.e. a1 is positive. If i start with a1= -1, a2= 1, a3 = -3 then the sum is negative. If i start with a1 = 1 the sum is positive. And if i take the values to be even, the sum is zero.

From statement 1, we know that n is odd. Therefore the sum is not 0, but it could be positive or negative. INSUFFICIENT.

From statement 2, we know An is positive, meaning there are odd terms in the sequence, with the last term being positive. SUFFICIENT.

So B should be the answer. Please tell me where i'm wrong in this solution.

We are given that \(a_k=k\), so \(a_1=1\) only.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Couldnt k itself be negative?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619014 [5]
Send PM
Kudos