Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [125]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [24]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [8]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Send PM
Re: Johnson is on firm ground when he asserts that the early editors of Di [#permalink]
Kudos
Is dwivedys an engilsh teacher or what :lol:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [5]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
Re: Johnson is on firm ground when he asserts that the early editors of Di [#permalink]
Kudos
aurobindo wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
javed wrote:
Johnson is on firm ground when he asserts that the early editors of DickinsonтАЩs poetry often distorted her intentions. Yet JohnsonтАЩs own, more faithful, text is still guilty of its own forms of distortion. To standardize DickinsonтАЩs often indecipherable handwritten punctuation by the use of the dash is to render permanent a casual mode of poetic phrasing that Dickinson surely never expected to see in print. It implies that Dickinson chose the dash as her typical mark of punctuation when, in fact, she apparently never made any definitive choice at all.

Which of the following best summarizes the authorтАЩs main point?

(A) Although Johnson is right in criticizing DickinsonтАЩs early editors for their distortion of her work, his own text is guilty of equally serious distortions.

Equally Serious?? The passage only says Johnson's text is still guilty of its own forms of distortion ..... discard.

(B) JohnsonтАЩs use of the dash in his text of DickinsonтАЩs poetry misleads readers about the poetтАЩs intentions.

Exactly

(C) Because Dickinson never expected her poetry to be published, virtually any attempt at editing it must run counter to her intentions.

That's going too far. We don't have evidence to believe Dickinson never expected her poetry to be published. Irrelevant.

(D) Although JohnsonтАЩs attempt to produce a more faithful text of DickinsonтАЩs poetry is well-meaning, his study of the material lacks sufficient thoroughness.

Out of scope and irrelevant

(E) DickinsonтАЩs editors, including Johnson, have failed to deal adequately with the problem of deciphering DickinsonтАЩs handwritten manuscripts.

This shifts the focus from analyzing distortions created by Dickinson's editors to deciphering Dickinson's handwritten manuscripts -- out of scope and irrelevant

OA B

I am not able to accept B as answer.

The question asks us to find out an option that best summarizes the authorтАЩs main point.

The main point seems to be: Johnson is on firm ground when he asserts that the early editors of DickinsonтАЩs poetry often distorted her intentions. Yet JohnsonтАЩs own, more faithful, text is still guilty of its own forms of distortion.

B seems to be a sort of example given to illustrate Jhonson's mistake.

I do not see any problem with "decipher" in E. Because the statement says "To standardize DickinsonтАЩs often indecipherable handwritten punctuation"

Aurobindo - without gainsaying (denying) whatever you've said - you're on pretty solid ground - inasmuch as B does seem like a particular example meant as an illustration of Johnson's mistake.

However, SEMANTICS of what B looks like or not aside - the problem with E is a bit more fundamental - E says PROBLEM OF DECIPHERING DICKINSON'S HANDWRITTEN MANUSCRIPTS. I don't think the sentence deals with the PROBLEM OF DECIPHERING Dickinson's manuscript.

The sentence only says TO STANDARDIZE DickinsonтАЩs often indecipherable handwritten punctuation is to render permanent etc... that doesn't mean these authors were tasked with DEALING WITH THE PROBLEM of dickinson's handwriting.

remember PROBLEM is the keyword - there was no such PROBLEM and hence the SHIFT OF FOCUS OF E.

Hope this helps. I have a tendency to oversimplify and overexplain - so please bear with me and pardon me if I have gone overboard explaining.

Saurabh.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
dwivedys wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
javed wrote:
Johnson is on firm ground when he asserts that the early editors of DickinsonтАЩs poetry often distorted her intentions. Yet JohnsonтАЩs own, more faithful, text is still guilty of its own forms of distortion. To standardize DickinsonтАЩs often indecipherable handwritten punctuation by the use of the dash is to render permanent a casual mode of poetic phrasing that Dickinson surely never expected to see in print. It implies that Dickinson chose the dash as her typical mark of punctuation when, in fact, she apparently never made any definitive choice at all.

Which of the following best summarizes the authorтАЩs main point?

(A) Although Johnson is right in criticizing DickinsonтАЩs early editors for their distortion of her work, his own text is guilty of equally serious distortions.

Equally Serious?? The passage only says Johnson's text is still guilty of its own forms of distortion ..... discard.

(B) JohnsonтАЩs use of the dash in his text of DickinsonтАЩs poetry misleads readers about the poetтАЩs intentions.

Exactly

(C) Because Dickinson never expected her poetry to be published, virtually any attempt at editing it must run counter to her intentions.

That's going too far. We don't have evidence to believe Dickinson never expected her poetry to be published. Irrelevant.

(D) Although JohnsonтАЩs attempt to produce a more faithful text of DickinsonтАЩs poetry is well-meaning, his study of the material lacks sufficient thoroughness.

(E) DickinsonтАЩs editors, including Johnson, have failed to deal adequately with the problem of deciphering DickinsonтАЩs handwritten manuscripts.

This shifts the focus from analyzing distortions created by Dickinson's editors to deciphering Dickinson's handwritten manuscripts -- out of scope and irrelevant

OA B

I am not able to accept B as answer.

The question asks us to find out an option that best summarizes the authorтАЩs main point.

The main point seems to be: Johnson is on firm ground when he asserts that the early editors of DickinsonтАЩs poetry often distorted her intentions. Yet JohnsonтАЩs own, more faithful, text is still guilty of its own forms of distortion.

B seems to be a sort of example given to illustrate Jhonson's mistake.

I do not see any problem with "decipher" in E. Because the statement says "To standardize DickinsonтАЩs often indecipherable handwritten punctuation"

Aurobindo - without gainsaying (denying) whatever you've said - you're on pretty solid ground - inasmuch as B does seem like a particular example meant as an illustration of Johnson's mistake.

However, SEMANTICS of what B looks like or not aside - the problem with E is a bit more fundamental - E says PROBLEM OF DECIPHERING DICKINSON'S HANDWRITTEN MANUSCRIPTS. I don't think the sentence deals with the PROBLEM OF DECIPHERING Dickinson's manuscript.

The sentence only says TO STANDARDIZE DickinsonтАЩs often indecipherable handwritten punctuation is to render permanent etc... that doesn't mean these authors were tasked with DEALING WITH THE PROBLEM of dickinson's handwriting.

remember PROBLEM is the keyword - there was no such PROBLEM and hence the SHIFT OF FOCUS OF E.

Hope this helps. I have a tendency to oversimplify and overexplain - so please bear with me and pardon me if I have gone overboard explaining.

Saurabh.

Saurab thanks for the lucid explanation. Well i dont think you have everexplain the problem i think you have done a very good job. And on behalf of everybody i thank you for walking us through your explanation.I think i have learned something and i am sure that everybody else have learned something or the other form you.

So keep up the good work and i can already see the doors of havard opening for you.

Javed.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [2]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Johnson is on firm ground when he asserts that the early [#permalink]
Kudos
Johnson is on firm ground when he asserts that the early editors of Dickinson’s poetry often distorted her intentions. Yet Johnson’s own, more faithful, text is still guilty of its own forms of distortion. To standardize Dickinson’s often indecipherable handwritten punctuation by the use of the dash is to render permanent a casual mode of poetic phrasing that Dickinson surely never expected to see in print. It implies that Dickinson chose the dash as her typical mark of punctuation when, in fact, she apparently never made any definitive choice at all.

Which of the following best summarizes the author’s main point?

A) Although Johnson is right in criticizing Dickinson’s early editors for their distortion of her work, his own text is guilty of equally serious distortions.
The author never states that Johnson’s texts equally distort Dickinson’s work.

B) Johnson’s use of the dash in his text of Dickinson’s poetry misleads readers about the poet’s intentions.

C) Because Dickinson never expected her poetry to be published, virtually any attempt at editing it must run counter to her intentions.
The text is more focused on the limitations of Johnson’s texts than on Dickinson’s intentions or the possibility to adequately edit his work.

D) Although Johnson’s attempt to produce a more faithful text of Dickinson’s poetry is well-meaning, his study of the material lacks sufficient thoroughness.
The author does not say anything about the thoroughness of Johnson’s study of the material.

E) Dickinson’s editors, including Johnson, have failed to deal adequately with the problem of deciphering Dickinson’s handwritten manuscripts
The author says that editors often distorted Dickinson’s intentions. However, he does not say whether these editors managed to decipher adequately Dickinson’s manuscripts or not.
Another reason to discard this option could be that both editors and Johnson had a problem to decipher Dickinson’s punctuation, not manuscripts. Here, however, we could argue whether the concept “punctuation” is part of a broader concept “manuscripts”.

I only found easy to discard options A and D.

A tough question, indeed.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [2]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: Johnson is on firm ground when he asserts that the early [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Johnson is on firm ground when he asserts that the early editors of Dickinsons poetry often distorted her intentions. Yet Johnsons own, more faithful, text is still guilty of its own forms of distortion. To standardize Dickinsons often indecipherable handwritten punctuation by the use of the dash is to render permanent a casual mode of poetic phrasing that Dickinson surely never expected to see in print. It implies that Dickinson chose the dash as her typical mark of punctuation when, in fact, she apparently never made any definitive choice at all.
Which of the following best summarizes the authors main point?

A. Although Johnson is right in criticizing Dickinsons early editors for their distortion of her work, his own text is guilty of equally serious distortions. --> We don't know whether it was equally serious.

B. Johnsons use of the dash in his text of Dickinsons poetry misleads readers about the poets intentions.

C. Because Dickinson never expected her poetry to be published, virtually any attempt at editing it must run counter to her intentions. --> Too broad.

D. Although Johnsons attempt to produce a more faithful text of Dickinsons poetry is well-meaning, his study of the material lacks sufficient thoroughness. --> Distortion or thoroughness?? OUT of Scope.

E. Dickinsons editors, including Johnson, have failed to deal adequately with the problem of deciphering Dickinsons handwritten manuscripts. --> We know only about Johnson and previous editors. May be we have editors after Jonson. Again Too broad.

Answer should be B for the reasons highlighted above.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
If I were to summarize the difference b/w the main point vs conclusion vs the main purpose of the author, what should be my approach?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [0]
Given Kudos: 152
Schools: Darden '21
GPA: 4
Send PM
javed wrote:
Johnson is on firm ground when he asserts that the early editors of Dickinsons poetry often distorted her intentions. Yet Johnsons own, more faithful, text is still guilty of its own forms of distortion. To standardize Dickinsons often indecipherable handwritten punctuation by the use of the dash is to render permanent a casual mode of poetic phrasing that Dickinson surely never expected to see in print. It implies that Dickinson chose the dash as her typical mark of punctuation when, in fact, she apparently never made any definitive choice at all.

Which of the following best summarizes the authors main point?

A. Although Johnson is right in criticizing Dickinsons early editors for their distortion of her work, his own text is guilty of equally serious distortions.

B. Johnsons use of the dash in his text of Dickinsons poetry misleads readers about the poets intentions.

C. Because Dickinson never expected her poetry to be published, virtually any attempt at editing it must run counter to her intentions.

D. Although Johnsons attempt to produce a more faithful text of Dickinsons poetry is well-meaning, his study of the material lacks sufficient thoroughness.

E. Dickinsons editors, including Johnson, have failed to deal adequately with the problem of deciphering Dickinsons handwritten manuscripts.

The problem with option E "failed to adequately deal with problem of deciphering" - the real issue is only with punctuation mark that distorts poets intension, rest of deciphering seems to be fine. Hence option B is more appropriate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Wharton '24
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
(A) Although Johnson is right in criticizing Dickinson’s early editors for their distortion of her work, his own text is guilty of equally serious distortions.

(B) Johnson’s use of the dash in his text of Dickinson’s poetry misleads readers about the poet’s intentions.

Exactly

(D) Although Johnson’s attempt to produce a more faithful text of Dickinson’s poetry is well-meaning, his study of the material lacks sufficient thoroughness.

(E) Dickinson’s editors, including Johnson, have failed to deal adequately with the problem of deciphering Dickinson’s handwritten manuscripts.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
sharmashivng wrote:
If I were to summarize the difference b/w the main point vs conclusion vs the main purpose of the author, what should be my approach?

Hi experts VeritasKarishma yashikaaggarwal carcass Bunuel chetan2u

Could you please help here? I am just going through the error to find this.
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2769 [0]
Given Kudos: 1510
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
sharmashivng wrote:
sharmashivng wrote:

Okay so, as much as I know, The main point states what the whole passage is talking about. Like summarizing the whole passage in one single word or sentence.
The conclusion is what the author is trying to make others believe, by giving evidence.
Main purpose what the author wants to convey. and here's the author's conclusion.

For the question,

The last sentence of the passage: Implies that Dickinson chose the dash as her typical mark of punctuation when, in fact, she apparently never made any definitive choice at all.

We can say that the use of the dash in Jonnson writing is misleading
So the option best summarizes the author's main point will be surrounding the mistaking of the dash and misleading quality.

A. Although Johnson is right in criticizing Dickinson's early editors for their distortion of her work, his own text is guilty of equally serious distortions. (Nope! Johnson didn't really made a serious crime by using the dash, neither it was intentionally) INCORRECT

B. Johnson's use of the dash in his text of Dickinson's poetry misleads readers about the poet's intentions. (Yes, the dash is definitely misleading, Let's keep this)

C. Because Dickinson never expected her poetry to be published, virtually any attempt at editing it must run counter to her intentions. (Well she did give her poetry for publishing, so this is out of option) INCORRECT

D. Although Johnson's attempt to produce a more faithful text of Dickinson's poetry is well-meaning, his study of the material lacks sufficient thoroughness. (As stated in option A, Johnson used only dash as a symbol of indecisiveness, not to intentionally mess with poetry) INCORRECT

E. Dickinson's editors, including Johnson, have failed to deal adequately with the problem of deciphering Dickinson's handwritten manuscripts. (Yes, I did choose this. But now when I think, this option is blaming editors, while Johnson dash use was misleading itself, so editors are innocent) INCORRECT
Therefore, the answer is B.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64891 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
sharmashivng wrote:
sharmashivng wrote:

Hi experts VeritasKarishma yashikaaggarwal carcass Bunuel chetan2u

Could you please help here? I am just going through the error to find this.

They are all the same - the thing that the author wants to tell you, the reason for which he wrote the argument/passage.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [1]
Given Kudos: 227
Send PM
Johnson is on firm ground when he asserts that the early editors of Di [#permalink]
Kudos
Between B and E.

I think E is wrong because we are never told about deciphering any "handwritten manuscripts", but only about "handwritten punctuation".

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [1]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
Johnson is on firm ground when he asserts that the early editors of Di [#permalink]
Kudos
The key to finding the main conclusion in passages such as these is to ask yourself which statement is supported by the other statements.

The statement that is supported by the other sentences in the passage will be the author’s main conclusion. One way is to continually ask yourself, while reading the stimulus, why is this author telling me this?

Is the purpose of the argument to tell you that Johnson has good reason to question other people’s interpretations of Dickinson’s writing? (I.e., sentence 1)

If this is the author’s main conclusion, then there should be some supporting evidence in favor of this statement.

However, the next sentences go on to discuss how Johnson, himself, has distorted Dickinson’s intention. We are then told why using a hyphen may distort Dickinson’s original intent.

After reading the stimulus, you can see that the the other sentences really do not support the 1st sentence. Thus, the first sentence can not be the main conclusion.

The actual conclusion made by the author is that Johnson has himself distorted Dickinson’s intent by inserting the use of a certain type of punctuation: a hyphen. The use of this hyphen changes and wrongly interprets the original intent of Dickinson’s writing.

The second half of the stimulus discusses reasons WHY the hyphen distorts her original intent, and these sentences are used by the author to make the conclusion about Johnson.

-A- the answer seems to start okay, but veers off in the wrong direction at the end. We can not say that the author’s main point is to argue that Johnson has made “equally serious distortions.” We know the author believes Johnson has distorted Dickinson’s intent, but the author’s main reason for writing the argument is not to compare which distortion is more serious. Although it is mentioned briefly that Johnson’s interpretation may be more “faithful”, the author’s main focus is not on a comparison.

-B- perfectly sums up the author’s main reason for writing this argument. The author believes Johnson’s use of this specific punctuation (the hyphen) conveys a meaning that Dickinson herself would never have intended.

-C- the author’s focus is on Johnson’s distortion of Dickinson’s writing. The author does not mention that any attempt to interpret Dickinson’s writing is doomed to failure.

-D- the author does not discuss Johnson’s “study of Dickinson’s material” and the extent of its thoroughness. The author is instead focused on the author’s use of the hyphen and it how distorts Dickinson’s original intent. The author is focused on the use of a punctuation mark and how it distorts Dickinson’s original intent. Whether Johnson’s study is thorough is not up for discussion.

(B) best summarizes the main point of the argument.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 191
Send PM
Bambi2021 wrote:
Between B and E.

I think E is wrong because we are never told about deciphering any "handwritten manuscripts", but only about "handwritten punctuation".

and B is wrong because there is no mention of johnson using dash
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts