Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: UVA (Darden) - Class of 2015
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: how do you manage 6 letters from 1 recommender? [#permalink]
thanks guys! I didn't do that this year and I'll definitely have to help out my recommenders for a total of 3x6=18 sections. thanks so much!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Additionally, you could solicit a recommendation from someone else for half of the six. My immediate supervisor wrote half of my "boss" recommendations, and her supervisor (my boss' boss) wrote the other half of them.

Also, plenty of people apply (and get in) without their direct supervisor writing a recommendation at all! If your recommenders view their task as a chore - instead of paying it forward - you might consider choosing a different set of recommenders.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Kjar wrote:
Short answer: make your boss' life easy.

Try to provide as much help to your recommender, as it is possible without breaking ethical rules.

Combine all questions by subject. There are several common types of questions, and although they may be worded a bit differently from one school to another, the answer in many instances will be the same. Examples are: "History of interaction with an applicant", "Key strenghts", "Key weaknesses", "Reaction to feedback" etc. Explain that it's not writing 5 x 6 = 30 essays, it's much less.

Provide him with some exampls. THere are plenty of those available online, in admission guides, on forums etc.

Discussing "Why MBA" questions is also very helpful. You could explain your motivation and application strategy. For example, "I am going for an MBA to get further career progress in our industry - I think, that I need to develop X, Y and Z skills to make the next step, and I already have an experience of demonstrating skills A, B and C on projects Alpha, Beta and Gamma. etc". The result is that you boss actually knows the logic and knows what's relevant and what's not. Discussing all this stuff you both will mention lots of good examples worth including into his recommendations and your essays.

I used this method and my recommenders loved it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Kjar wrote:

Combine all questions by subject. There are several common types of questions, and although they may be worded a bit differently from one school to another, the answer in many instances will be the same. Examples are: "History of interaction with an applicant", "Key strenghts", "Key weaknesses", "Reaction to feedback" etc. Explain that it's not writing 5 x 6 = 30 essays, it's much less.

Provide him with some exampls. THere are plenty of those available online, in admission guides, on forums etc.

Discussing "Why MBA" questions is also very helpful. You could explain your motivation and application strategy. For example, "I am going for an MBA to get further career progress in our industry - I think, that I need to develop X, Y and Z skills to make the next step, and I already have an experience of demonstrating skills A, B and C on projects Alpha, Beta and Gamma. etc". The result is that you boss actually knows the logic and knows what's relevant and what's not. Discussing all this stuff you both will mention lots of good examples worth including into his recommendations and your essays.

*Yeap. I did this as well. I gave my recommenders an excel file with questions grouped by common theme, together with detailed bullet points that I though they could use.

*Very importantly, I let them know about my intentions months in advance and made sure they understood deadlines. I made a plan with each recommender on a time frame as to when (s)he should send letters and it worked out about one letter every month. Since most schools have deadlines that cluster, it meant that some schools had received recommnedations many weeks before their deadline.

* I see a lot of people in this forum asking how to find the questions the recommenders need to answer. They claim that as applicants they cannot see them. So, here is something that you can do. Create two fake accounts, then login as an applicant with one, and put the other fake address as the email of the fake recommender. Check your second fake email and voila!

* Forgot to add that once the application process was done, I bought each of my recommnders a nice bottle of wine.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ducksworth wrote:
Kjar wrote:
I can't emphasize this advice enough! When people have trouble with securing recommendations, it is almost always because the applicant is doing this at the 11th hour....you want to be reaching out to your recommenders well in advance and ensuring they have the time to write you a thoughtful recommendation. First and foremost, having your recommender write your recommendation letter is the right thing to do-- and schools are very firm on this. There is new tracking software to detect if you have written your own rec letters so don't be tempted. But also it turns out the best letters are in fact written by your supervisors--they will be able to praise you in ways that you could not do yourself. The key is to give your recommenders plenty of advance notice-- and also pick people that have seen your best work and truly do champion you in this process. For more information about securing top recommendation letters from your recommenders-- register to attend a free webinar by Stratus Admissions on Thursday, Sept 23rd: 4 Steps to a 5 Star recommendation

*Yeap. I did this as well. I gave my recommenders an excel file with questions grouped by common theme, together with detailed bullet points that I though they could use.

*Very importantly, I let them know about my intentions months in advance and made sure they understood deadlines. I made a plan with each recommender on a time frame as to when (s)he should send letters and it worked out about one letter every month. Since most schools have deadlines that cluster, it meant that some schools had received recommnedations many weeks before their deadline.

* I see a lot of people in this forum asking how to find the questions the recommenders need to answer. They claim that as applicants they cannot see them. So, here is something that you can do. Create two fake accounts, then login as an applicant with one, and put the other fake address as the email of the fake recommender. Check your second fake email and voila!

* Forgot to add that once the application process was done, I bought each of my recommnders a nice bottle of wine.
GMAT Club Bot