Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:28 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2798 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [6]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 444 [0]
Send PM
Re: We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are [#permalink]
I think I have seen this question earlier. Here, the answer should be C. This is because, "in which" is required to maintain parallelism. Else, it seems as if "rampant" is being compared to "change is the only constant", etc.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2798 [0]
Send PM
OA is also C and OE speaks of parallelism but sumhow the repitition of 'in which' in C sounds a bit awkward.
scthakur wrote:
I think I have seen this question earlier. Here, the answer should be C. This is because, "in which" is required to maintain parallelism. Else, it seems as if "rampant" is being compared to "change is the only constant", etc.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 444 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
ritula wrote:
OA is also C and OE speaks of parallelism but sumhow the repitition of 'in which' in C sounds a bit awkward.
scthakur wrote:

Look at the following example.

We live in a world in which crime is rampant and uncontrolled.
We live in a world in which crime is rampant and in which law and order situation is uncontrolled.

In the first sentence, "uncontrolled" modifies "crime". In the second question, "uncontrolled" modifies "law and order situation".

However, if the second sentence is re-written as

We live in a world in which crime is rampant, and law and order situation is uncontrolled.

it seems as if "law and order situation is rampant" tries to modify "crime".
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
I'll go with option B. I'm rejecting C on the basis of wordiness. I don't think we need "in which" 4 times when we can convey the same meaning by using only 1 "in which".
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Please note that both (B) and (C) can work. The question itself is flawed.

Please note that you should stay away from sources other than OG, GMATPrep. You can use GMAT Pill questions (https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -questions), which are very similar to OG and GMATprep questions. Try to stay away from other sources.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [0]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
gmatpill wrote:
Please note that both (B) and (C) can work. The question itself is flawed.

Please note that you should stay away from sources other than OG, GMATPrep. You can use GMAT Pill questions (https://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-t ... -questions), which are very similar to OG and GMATprep questions. Try to stay away from other sources.

Hi the source is Gayatri SC notes on Gmatclub
i-remember-a-thread-having-gayatri-s-sc-notes-120954.html

We live in a world in which crime is rampant, children are recalcitrant, change is the only
constant, and uncertainty prevails.

(A) children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty prevails.
(B) children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty is prevalent.
(C) in which children are recalcitrant, in which change is the only constant, and in which
uncertainty is prevalent.
(D) where children are recalcitrant, where change is the only constant and where uncertainty is
prevalent.
(E) where children are recalcitrant, change is the only constant, and uncertainty is prevalent

OA is C

OE----What is wrong with B?
"in which" is part of a prepositional phrase. If we start the parallelism after "in which" we are
using parallel fragments. Also without “in which” the subsequent phrases seem to modify the
noun “crime” as opposed to “world”.

I didnot agree with the OE so I wanted a expert to comment about the same
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
Deal All,

The question is not the best one to practice, both B and C are correct.

dentobizz you are correct, there is nothing wrong with B.

If given a choice to pick the correct answer B would be the one; however you can rest assured that in actual GMAT you will never get such choices.

if you want an expert advice -- Master the OG, GMATprep and other official questions, you will succeed in GMAT. If you have exhausted the official material, then try other sources.

It's from my personal experience. I practiced unreliable stuff, I scored 610 in the GMAT; I mastered the official stuff, I scored 750.

Hope it helps

Vercules
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [0]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Vercules wrote:
Deal All,

The question is not the best one to practice, both B and C are correct.

dentobizz you are correct, there is nothing wrong with B.

If given a choice to pick the correct answer B would be the one; however you can rest assured that in actual GMAT you will never get such choices.

if you want an expert advice -- Master the OG, GMATprep and other official questions, you will succeed in GMAT. If you have exhausted the official material, then try other sources.

It's from my personal experience. I practiced unreliable stuff, I scored 610 in the GMAT; I mastered the official stuff, I scored 750.

Hope it helps

Vercules

I completely agree official sources are the best and most reliable to practice from won't be using this and other suspect sources (brutal sc , etc) anymore. Congrats! for the excellent score
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [2]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos