Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1528 [52]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [13]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [4]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: "Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, which resembles a [#permalink]
D is the best answer.

But my concern is with this statement: ""Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than most other types of pizza ...."

Aren't we comparing time taken to prepare a pizza with pizzas in the above statement?

""Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than it takes to prepare most other types of pizza....." should be the correct sentence right?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: "Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, which resembles a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
anilisanil wrote:
D is the best answer.

But my concern is with this statement: ""Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than most other types of pizza ...."

Aren't we comparing time taken to prepare a pizza with pizzas in the above statement?

""Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than it takes to prepare most other types of pizza....." should be the correct sentence right?

Good discussion on this thread. I would add above that in addition to the pronoun "it" being ambiguous (the GMAT is pretty tolerant of pronoun ambiguity) "it" is completely unnecessary in the given statements.

As for the point quoted above, the comparison is between the attributes of the types of pizza (specifically the preparation time). We could write the sentence this way: ""Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than most other types of pizza take to prepare....", but the phrase 'take to prepare' is understood and unnecessary.

Written as ""Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than it takes to prepare most other types of pizza....." compares Chicago style pizza with preparation time.

BTW, I lived in Chicago for 3 years and this passage makes me miss the Chicago-style pizza - it's fantastic...

KW
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
How come here it is acceptable to use "like" in Answer D when usually we have to such "such as"?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
serendipiteez wrote:
How come here it is acceptable to use "like" in Answer D when usually we have to such "such as"?

Like is used here to compare two nouns. In this example - 'pizza crust' to 'pie crust' and 'pizza crust' to 'flatbread'

D)"Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than most other types of pizza because its crust, which is more like a pie crust than like a traditional pizza-style flatbread, must be baked alone before toppings are added
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
serendipiteez wrote:

The GMAT used to be picky about 'like' and not accept its use when the context means 'for example'. The GMAT is ever evolving and the use of like is more flexible now, like in problem V65 where the use of “like” means “for example” and is called “acceptable" in the explanation.

KW
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
KyleWiddison wrote:
anilisanil wrote:
D is the best answer.

Good discussion on this thread. I would add above that in addition to the pronoun "it" being ambiguous (the GMAT is pretty tolerant of pronoun ambiguity) "it" is completely unnecessary in the given statements.

As for the point quoted above, the comparison is between the attributes of the types of pizza (specifically the preparation time). We could write the sentence this way: ""Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than most other types of pizza take to prepare....", but the phrase 'take to prepare' is understood and unnecessary.

Written as ""Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than it takes to prepare most other types of pizza....." compares Chicago style pizza with preparation time.

BTW, I lived in Chicago for 3 years and this passage makes me miss the Chicago-style pizza - it's fantastic...

KW

On a similar note i went to chi town last week and this sentence reminded me of the DEEP dish pizza, whose preparation required us to wait for over 45 minutes :).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: ISB '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
WE:General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
It's "D".
The modifiers are just perfectly placed.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bluelagoon wrote:
On a similar note i went to chi town last week and this sentence reminded me of the DEEP dish pizza, whose preparation required us to wait for over 45 minutes :).

Now I am jealous :? ! You really can't get good Chicago style pizza outside of Chicago. BTW - good use of the noun modifier starting with "whose" (you also could have used "which) - it clearly refers back to the pizza.

KW
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 475 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Send PM
[quote="BukrsGmat"]Experts Please confirm my approach

(C)"Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than most other types of pizza because of its crust, resembling a pie crust more than a traditional pizza-style flatbread, must be baked alone before adding toppings.

again Resembling points to Pizza rather that its crust
also for 'must be baked ..' we need a conjunction to join it -> ..., and must ...

kyle

kindly look into this.

I went through all possible explanations i could get my hands on but none was able to clarify the Verb-ing modifier error that was pointed by BukrsGmat.

Even MGMAT explanation goes likes this for option C: Because of should be followed by just a noun (or a noun with modifiers), but, here, it is followed by an entire clause. The resulting construction—because of its crust... must be baked...—is not a proper sentence. Additionally, the action of adding (in before adding toppings) must refer back to the subject—illogically implying that the Chicago-style pizza crust can actually add toppings to itself. Finally, the comparison resembles a pie crust more than a traditional pizza-style flatbread is ambiguous; it could imply that the the Chicago-style crust is more like a pie crust than like a flatbread (the intended meaning), but could also be interpreted as meaning that the Chicago-style crust resembles a pie crust more than does a flatbread.

Rule states that Verb-ing modifier preceded by comma modifies the clause and not the preceding noun (Crust) so the fact that explanations are clarifying/stating the comparison among "Chicago crust", pie crust, and flatbread is unwarranted.

Also, for Option A and E, Is it safe to say that the phrase ", and so takes longer than most other types of pizzas to prepare it" is incorrect Not only due to no clear antecedent for "it" but also that (, and) should be used when 2 independent clauses are to be separated or for a list, none of which is fulfilled by the last phrase. ??

@Experts please help clear this out.

Thanks
Send PM
Expert Reply
earnit wrote:
kyle

kindly look into this.

I went through all possible explanations i could get my hands on but none was able to clarify the Verb-ing modifier error that was pointed by BukrsGmat.

Even MGMAT explanation goes likes this for option C: Because of should be followed by just a noun (or a noun with modifiers), but, here, it is followed by an entire clause. The resulting construction—because of its crust... must be baked...—is not a proper sentence. Additionally, the action of adding (in before adding toppings) must refer back to the subject—illogically implying that the Chicago-style pizza crust can actually add toppings to itself. Finally, the comparison resembles a pie crust more than a traditional pizza-style flatbread is ambiguous; it could imply that the the Chicago-style crust is more like a pie crust than like a flatbread (the intended meaning), but could also be interpreted as meaning that the Chicago-style crust resembles a pie crust more than does a flatbread.

Rule states that Verb-ing modifier preceded by comma modifies the clause and not the preceding noun (Crust) so the fact that explanations are clarifying/stating the comparison among "Chicago crust", pie crust, and flatbread is unwarranted.

Also, for Option A and E, Is it safe to say that the phrase ", and so takes longer than most other types of pizzas to prepare it" is incorrect Not only due to no clear antecedent for "it" but also that (, and) should be used when 2 independent clauses are to be separated or for a list, none of which is fulfilled by the last phrase. ??

@Experts please help clear this out.

Thanks

Yes, the "it" is A and E is incorrect. I'm not quite sure what your question is about option C. Can you clarify for me?

KW
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [2]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Kudos
Official OE from Manhattan Prep

This sentence presents an interesting fact about Chicago-style pizza—it takes longer to cook than other types of pizza—and explains why: its crust must be baked separately before any toppings can be added.

To express this idea correctly and effectively, the sentence must create a comparison between Chicago-style deep-dish pizza and other types of pizza. The idea that deep-dish crust is more like pie crust than like traditional pizza crust should be expressed in a clear and unambiguous comparison. Finally, pronouns, if present, must be used correctly.

(A) This sentence states that Chicago-style deep-dish pizza... takes longer to prepare it. Here, the pronoun it does not have a sensible antecedent. (Literally, the sentence is stating that the deep-dish pizza can prepare "it"; of course, a pizza itself cannot prepare anything.) The comparison resembles a pie crust more than a traditional pizza-style flatbread is ambiguous; it could imply that the the Chicago-style crust is more like a pie crust than like a flatbread (the intended meaning), but could also be interpreted as meaning that the Chicago-style crust resembles a pie crust more than does a flatbread. Finally, the wording must have its crust... baked doesn't make sense. Taken literally, this wording suggests that the pizza itself requests or demands that the crust be baked.

(B) The subject of this sentence is The crust..., rather than the Chicago-style pizza itself. This choice thus creates an illogical comparison, involving just the crust of the Chicago-style pizza but involving "most other types of pizzas" in their entirety. Also, the action of adding (in before adding toppings) must refer back to the subject -- illogically implying that the Chicago-style pizza crust can actually add toppings to itself.

(C) Because of should be followed by just a noun (or a noun with modifiers), but, here, it is followed by an entire clause. The resulting construction—because of its crust... must be baked...—is not a proper sentence. Additionally, the action of adding (in before adding toppings) must refer back to the subject—illogically implying that the Chicago-style pizza crust can actually add toppings to itself. Finally, the comparison resembles a pie crust more than a traditional pizza-style flatbread is ambiguous; it could imply that the the Chicago-style crust is more like a pie crust than like a flatbread (the intended meaning), but could also be interpreted as meaning that the Chicago-style crust resembles a pie crust more than does a flatbread.

(D) CORRECT. Overall, this choice creates a proper sentence consisting of two clauses connected by because. Both comparisons (Chicago pizza takes longer to prepare than most other types of pizza and ...is more like a pie crust than like a flatbread) are correct and unambiguous. Finally, the sentence properly expresses the idea that toppings are added to the crust (by someone else).

(E) The comparison more like a pie crust than a traditional pizza-style flatbread is ambiguous; it could imply that the the Chicago-style crust is more like a pie crust than like a flatbread (the intended meaning), but could also be interpreted as meaning that the Chicago-style crust resembles a pie crust more than does a flatbread. The wording must have its crust... baked doesn't make sense; taken literally, this wording suggests that the pizza itself requests or demands that the crust be baked. Finally, this sentence states that Chicago-style deep-dish pizza... takes longer to prepare it. Here, the pronoun it does not have a sensible antecedent. (Literally, the sentence is stating that the deep-dish pizza can prepare "it"; of course, a pizza itself cannot prepare anything.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2222 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
mun23 wrote:
Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, which resembles a pie crust more than a traditional pizza-style flatbread, baked alone before toppings are added, and so takes longer to prepare it than most other types of pizza.

(A)"Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, which resembles a pie crust more than a traditional pizza-style flatbread, baked alone before toppings are added, and so takes longer to prepare it than most other types of pizza.

(B)The crust of "Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza is more similar to a pie crust than to a traditional pizza-style flatbread and must be baked alone before adding toppings, thus taking longer to prepare than most other types of pizzas.

(C)"Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than most other types of pizza because of its crust, resembling a pie crust more than a traditional pizza-style flatbread, must be baked alone before adding toppings.

(D)"Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza takes longer to prepare than most other types of pizza because its crust, which is more like a pie crust than like a traditional pizza-style flatbread, must be baked alone before toppings are added.

(E)Because its crust is more like a pie crust than a traditional pizza-style flatbread, "Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust baked alone before toppings are added, and so takes longer than most other types of pizzas to prepare it.

Need explanation

Hi sudarshan22 generis

Kindly underline the highlighted part.

Thanks!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [0]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
gmat1393 wrote:
Hi sudarshan22 generis

Kindly underline the highlighted part.

Thanks!

Edited. Thank you.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GPA: 4
Send PM
"Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, which resembles a [#permalink]
KyleWiddison wrote:
anilisanil wrote:
D is the best answer.

KW

Can you please explain why it shouldn't be "Chicago-style deep dish pizza takes longer to prepare than do most other types of pizza? Aren't we comparing the time it takes to prepare CDP vs. other types of pizza? You are comparing the action not the noun, right?

See this gmat question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/more-experie ... 59106.html
Here, it is saying Using X costs 3x as much as using Y does
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
"Chicago-style" deep-dish pizza must have its crust, which resembles a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sushmitha2 wrote:
Can you please explain why it shouldn't be "Chicago-style deep dish pizza takes longer to prepare than do most other types of pizza? Aren't we comparing the time it takes to prepare CDP vs. other types of pizza? You are comparing the action not the noun, right?

See this gmat question: https://gmatclub.com/forum/more-experie ... 59106.html
Here, it is saying Using X costs 3x as much as using Y does
Hi sushmitha2,

That do is understood. Including a do in such situations would lead to greater meaning clarity, but we cannot remove D simply because it does not include a do.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V22
Send PM