Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.56
WE 1: Tank PL (7 Months) Deployed OEF 09-10
WE 2: Battalion AS3 1.5 yrs
WE 3: Tank Company Commander (Currently)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink]
EBM wrote:
Ant2185 wrote:
langaroo wrote:
I am still a year out from applying to schools but have a question about the GI Bill. I did ROTC but did not take a scholarship, does anyone know if my 3 year active duty obligation will count towards meeting the GI Bill service requirements since I did not receive any financial help during school. Thanks!

Your initial obligation doesn't count. Even though you didn't take the scholarship money you still had an initial obligation so it doesn't count. Instead of having to wait 4 years like a scholarship cadet, your clock starts running on GI Benefits after your 3rd year. Its is clearly written in the GI Bill Policy.

Are you sure about that? Guys/girls who go through OCS/OTS have a 4 year service obligation, but their GI Bill clock starts right away.

Yeah this sounds more correct to me as well. The only language I've seen refers to repaying obligations already incurred before becoming eligible. If you didn't have a scholarship you shouldn't have a repayment and the clock should start on day 1.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Hi everyone, I am applying for matriculation in 2014, but had a quick question I wanted to get everyone's opinion on.

I am a civilian working in a DoD agency with deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq, do you think it would be worthwhile / welcomed to contact the veterans clubs at various programs due to similar deployment experience or are these clubs likely limited to those who were active duty / reserve military?

Thanks in advance!
Director
Director
Send PM
PallMall wrote:
Hi everyone, I am applying for matriculation in 2014, but had a quick question I wanted to get everyone's opinion on.

I am a civilian working in a DoD agency with deployments to Afghanistan and Iraq, do you think it would be worthwhile / welcomed to contact the veterans clubs at various programs due to similar deployment experience or are these clubs likely limited to those who were active duty / reserve military?

Thanks in advance!

The vets clubs will be mostly made up of active/reserve military but they may have a few DOD contractors here and there. There's no reason not to contact them--your experiences probably have a lot more in common with the military guys than with applicants from banking or consulting, and if nothing else they would likely be able to refer you to anyone there with a similar background.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Think it is great to have a topic for military applicants.

Is anyone here planning to attend one of the programs in the DC area? DC was my last assignment, and I plan on attending a school in the area.

If there are enough of us, we can start a DC meetup for prospective/current MBA vets in the area.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
td2013 wrote:
Think it is great to have a topic for military applicants.

Is anyone here planning to attend one of the programs in the DC area? DC was my last assignment, and I plan on attending a school in the area.

If there are enough of us, we can start a DC meetup for prospective/current MBA vets in the area.

I've applied to programs in the DC area. Be happy to help in anyway possible.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Just got the word that I'm in at Haas. Super stoked. Any other vets headed that way?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
swbluedevil wrote:
Just got the word that I'm in at Haas. Super stoked. Any other vets headed that way?

Congrats!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Does anybody know how the background check works for military? One of my recommendors is still in the same place but the other is on maternity leave and will PCS almost immediately after she gets back from her maternity leave. Hopefully they will be able to verify from her but what about verifying employment? Can they request a copy of my DD-214 from somewhere? Obviously pay information is all public but there isn't an HR department they can call to verify my job title, etc.
Director
Director
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
Does anybody know how the background check works for military? One of my recommendors is still in the same place but the other is on maternity leave and will PCS almost immediately after she gets back from her maternity leave. Hopefully they will be able to verify from her but what about verifying employment? Can they request a copy of my DD-214 from somewhere? Obviously pay information is all public but there isn't an HR department they can call to verify my job title, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about it--if they can't reach your recommender they'll ask you for some assistance. My guess is they handle 95% of the verification by contacting DFAS or your manpower management for your branch just to ensure that you were actually stationed in the places you said you were. They're not going to ask for copies of fitreps or anything, and I don't think they can get a DD-214 unless you specifically authorize them to get one.
Director
Director
Send PM
Random question: Anyone know what happens to your residency status once you separate from the military? For instance, I've claimed FL residency my entire career, if I go to Johnson, am I going to be a NYS resident when I move up there? Reason I ask is because I've got some investments I plan on liquidating prior to B-school, and I'd much rather do it as a FL resident to avoid state capital gains taxes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Schools: University of Connecticut - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
CobraKai wrote:
Random question: Anyone know what happens to your residency status once you separate from the military? For instance, I've claimed FL residency my entire career, if I go to Johnson, am I going to be a NYS resident when I move up there? Reason I ask is because I've got some investments I plan on liquidating prior to B-school, and I'd much rather do it as a FL resident to avoid state capital gains taxes.

When you leave the military, you will be a resident of FL. You can maintain your FL residency as long as you are going to school on the grounds that you "plan on returning to FL" after graduation and therefor do not wish to be a permanent resident in the state of NY. Any point in your schooling you can change your mind and become a NY resident if you wish.

Here is the information from the NY DMV (sources sources sources!):

Definition of a Resident. If you become a resident of NYS, you must exchange your driver license and vehicle registration from another state for a NYS driver license and vehicle registration within 30 days.

Section 250 (5) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law defines the term "resident." The law defines a resident as a person who lives in NYS with the intent to make NYS a "fixed and permanent" place to live. To live in a house, a home, an apartment, a room or other similar place in NYS for 90 days is considered "presumptive evidence" that you are a resident of NYS. A police officer can use this evidence as the reason to issue a traffic ticket if you drive in NYS without a driver license or vehicle registration issued by NYS.

A judge considers the law and the evidence of your intent and decides if you are a resident of NYS. For example, if you pay taxes or your children attend school in another state, a judge considers these facts to decide if your intent is to make NYS a "fixed and permanent" residence. The DMV will not decide if you are a resident of NYS, if you must get a NYS driver license, or if you must register your vehicle in NYS.

According to this law, students from other states or from other nations who attend school in NYS are normally not considered residents of NYS.

https://www.dmv.ny.gov/resident.htm
Director
Director
Send PM
Veterans Conference happening in Chicago Oct 17-18. Have a friend who went last year and said it was pretty good.

https://mbaveterans.com/2013-conference
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Anybody else out there primarily applying to B-Schools overseas?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: Sustainability, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '15 (M)
GRE 1: Q151 V154

GRE 2: Q156 V160

GRE 3: Q156 V162
GPA: 3.07
WE:Other (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Anyone else apply to Sloan R2? Anyone on here matriculating to Sloan from R1?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mappleby wrote:

Just as an FYI if anybody else plans on getting out in advance of starting school keep a couple things around. The people running the background check just asked for copies of my SURF and LES, neither of which I can get to without my CAC card. I asked if they would accept a copy of my DD-214 and W-2 to verify income and we will see what they say.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What's a SURF? I'm Army and that's not a term I'm aware of.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I actually don't recall what it stands for but it is basically a career brief generated by our personnel/assignments people. It lists your training dates, date of rank, specialty, what training classes you have attended, etc.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11