Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.1
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [2]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Re: CR "Diagram The Argument" Waste of Time or Helpful Technique [#permalink]
Kudos
I didn't do it. I was lazy. Worked out fine. :)

See what works for you. Everyone follows a diff. method. If you think its eating a lot of time, try doing ques. without it. If accuracy is compromised (rarity), go back and try to increase your speed.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ngould wrote:
Hey everyone,

The MGMAT CR book advises the test taker to "diagram the argument" i.e. take notes on an argument. This seems to me like it could be an inefficient use of time, but maybe I haven't given this technique enough practice.

What do you all think? Inefficient use of time Vs. A helpful technique that requires practice.

I think its NOT good unless its a REALLY complex argument
Here is my reasoning.
The more you diagram, the more you rely on it for comprehension and that NOT what the test needs really. Diagramming or writing tons of notes completely screws up your comprehension skills. And remember that COMMON SENSE plays a MAJOR part in CR questions such as strengthen/weaken and evaluate.
So I would not recommend it.
There is a reason MGMAT did a complete overhaul of the 4th edition CR.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
CR bible & MGMAT CR both promote "diagram the argument method" and they are very popular. I, too, don't like the diagramming methods. In fact, I don't like taking notes at all in the verbal part. What are the other popular CR guides that don't promote diagramming?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [2]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ngould wrote:
Hey everyone,

The MGMAT CR book advises the test taker to "diagram the argument" i.e. take notes on an argument. This seems to me like it could be an inefficient use of time, but maybe I haven't given this technique enough practice.

What do you all think? Inefficient use of time Vs. A helpful technique that requires practice.

Hi nhould,

I've been there; I was also confused about the note taking approach. I practiced both the approaches and used my judgement to decide which way to approach a CR or an RC question. The whole idea behind note taking is to understand the different structures and the argument as a whole. If you can do so without taking the notes you are good to go. If you have time then practice both the approaches and find out what suits your way of solving questions. The pro of note taking is that it is methodical and less prone to errors so more accurate, but the cons is that it may consume a lot of your time sometimes. On the other hand the read --> prethink --> attack approach is not so methodical and could be prone to errors if you are not able to understand the argument properly. If someone is just starting with CR then note taking will be a good approach to develop a comfort level in identifying the various structures and question types/ approaches. Moreover, for number and percentages one should write down the stuff to come to a conclusion etc.

Bottom-line: Ultimate objective should be to completely understand the argument and what exactly the question stem is asking whatever approach you follow.

Hope this helps,

Vercules
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 130 [2]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Kudos