Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Send PM
Re: Zero admit...retake a 720? [#permalink]
Kudos
noof wrote:

Edit: my EC's are relatively standard and i dont think anything stands out in particular. I conduct interviews for undergraduate admissions as an alum.

Don't sell yourself short on this one. A lot of MBA programs use alumni interviewers, so you could show you're the type of guy that would remain involved in interviewing MBA applicants after graduating. Better yet, you can sell yourself on wanting to be involved as an ambassador or admissions while in school as some schools use 2nd year students for interviews. I think a good place to work this into an essay is the "Why [School name]?"
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
Send PM
Hey Noof,

Out of curiosity, which schools did you apply to?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
icehawk wrote:
Hey Noof,

Out of curiosity, which schools did you apply to?

I applied to HBS, Wharton, Booth, Sloan and CBS and didn't receive a single interview invite :(
This experience definitely proved to be much tougher than i thought
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Kudos
I will suggest that work on improving ur profile,get a promotion.Joining a club such as Toastmasters will also help.If u are a finance guy,CFA certification helps else go for PMP certification.
Basically,i will suggest u do everything to improve ur profile except retaking GMAT.

Thanks,
Shreeraj
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anyone wants to play devil's advocate and think I should retake?
For what it's worth, I finished the quant section about 15 mins early on my last try so I mat have a shot at the coveted 51q. Not sure how much better I can do on the verbal though
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Send PM
noof wrote:
Anyone wants to play devil's advocate and think I should retake?
For what it's worth, I finished the quant section about 15 mins early on my last try so I mat have a shot at the coveted 51q. Not sure how much better I can do on the verbal though

If you KNOW you can do better, than go for it. Getting a 740/750 might not help get you admitted, but it could come into play in terms of merit scholarships. You do have time, so it's really up to you how you want to spend it.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
Let me play a devil's advocate here. Unfortunately you fall into the dreaded category of Indian IT Male. You have the advantage of US Experience and US undergrad. However then people with your background may have jobs in Finance/Consulting. An Indian working in India has the excuse that there are few finance and consulting jobs. Hence IT is more excusable in this case. Overall you are in a better position than IIM category due to your US pedigree.
Bottom line is retake GMAT and try for 750-770 , the higher the better. Keep a journal and add material to your essays during your GMAT Prep as thoughts pop up in your mind. An Indian IT fellow with a 720 got no interview calls from Duke/Ross this year. I myself fall into IIM category. Would suggest you to apply to a few schools in the range of 5 -15 next year as a back up. Though I agree that schools outside Top 5 are not as attractive as they were 5 years ago.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'll obviously give my best if I retake.. to be completely honest though I think my limit is probably 51q and maybe 40v, which translate to 750, and that's if I'm lucky. I didn't grow up speaking english so chances are I won't end up with a really appreciable increase in verbal with just another month or two of cramming..
Having said that, right now I am more inclined to give GMAT another shot. My thinking is that if I end up with same/lower score--which I really hope won't happen--I still have the 720 to fall back on. On the other hand if luckily end up improving, I may stand out just a tiny bit more. In either case, I feel retaking won't hurt and might actually demonstrate that I'm actively trying to improve my profile and that I'm committed to the process?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
You could definitely retake the 720, but you're probably right that your essays brought you down more than your test scores/GPA. Why not add in the likes of Tuck, Fuqua or Darden next year so that you have other options if you get rejected by your top choice schools again?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
With 2 months of prep you may not get a 770. However you can with 4-5 months of preperation. Taking a couple of hours with a 800 scorer tutor like -Ron, Stacey, GMATNinja can help fine tune your strategy. At the end of the day it's all about how bad you want to get into your dream school.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
With 2 months of prep you may not get a 770. However you can with 4-5 months of preperation.

Quality > quantity. Studying for 4-5 months risks burnout. You got better things to do with your time. 8 weeks is plenty of time to prep, especially if you know you're capable of a 720.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts