Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.52
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey guys,

Just got done with my interview today. It was with an alumnus who now runs his own software company here in Chennai.

It was quite short (20 mins) - I hope that's not a bad sign, since the average is around 45 mins as far as I know.

He first started off by introducing himself, told me about his profile, what he does now and why he chose Booth.
The questions were (not in the same order):
1. Tell me about yourself.
2. Why MBA?
3. Why Booth?
4. What are some of the challenges you face at work?
5. How does it feel when older people report to you?
6. How I am involved in the community, and when I replied that I don't really have the time to be actively involved, he asked me what I would like to do if I had the time.

I then asked him a couple of questions, and it all ended in like 20 mins! Now it's the wait!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
aditya2789 wrote:
Hey guys,

Just got done with my interview today. It was with an alumnus who now runs his own software company here in Chennai.

It was quite short (20 mins) - I hope that's not a bad sign, since the average is around 45 mins as far as I know.

He first started off by introducing himself, told me about his profile, what he does now and why he chose Booth.
The questions were (not in the same order):
1. Tell me about yourself.
2. Why MBA?
3. Why Booth?
4. What are some of the challenges you face at work?
5. How does it feel when older people report to you?
6. How I am involved in the community, and when I replied that I don't really have the time to be actively involved, he asked me what I would like to do if I had the time.

I then asked him a couple of questions, and it all ended in like 20 mins! Now it's the wait!!

Don't sweat it. There's no correlation between the length of an interview and your chances of acceptance. As has been mentioned on the forum, doing well won't necessarily get you an admit and not doing well won't keep you out.
Some applicants reported great experiences but ended up getting dinged or wait listed. Just take a breather and wait it out :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Kudos
hey guys,

just had my booth interview this week with an alumnus (off campus). my interview was not typical to say the least. a number of times during the interview he criticized booth and kept asking me why i want to go there despite that. it was mostly centered on why booth and whether its the right fit for me. when i told him about my career plans, he said they were fluff and too idealistic.

its honestly put me off booth a fair bit. i'm not sure if others have had an interview like this. oh and he didn't take any notes.

i'm curious, are alumni really allowed to criticize their school during the interview? it sounded very unprofessional to me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
rocky312 wrote:
hey guys,

just had my booth interview this week with an alumnus (off campus). my interview was not typical to say the least. a number of times during the interview he criticized booth and kept asking me why i want to go there despite that. it was mostly centered on why booth and whether its the right fit for me. when i told him about my career plans, he said they were fluff and too idealistic.

its honestly put me off booth a fair bit. i'm not sure if others have had an interview like this. oh and he didn't take any notes.

i'm curious, are alumni really allowed to criticize their school during the interview? it sounded very unprofessional to me.

I would definitely contact someone at the admissions office and give this feedback to them. I feel that your interviewer did not take things seriously and this might affect your admittance chances to Booth.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
golsey wrote:
rocky312 wrote:
hey guys,

I would definitely contact someone at the admissions office and give this feedback to them. I feel that your interviewer did not take things seriously and this might affect your admittance chances to Booth.

i was thinking of doing that. just afraid of any backlash that might happen if i send out an email.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.22
WE:Asset Management (Other)
Send PM
rocky312 wrote:
hey guys,

I agree with the above posters. You should contact admissions to let them know what happened. Also, so they don't ask that person to interview candidates in the future. Best of luck in the admissions process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing
Send PM
rocky312 wrote:
golsey wrote:
rocky312 wrote:
hey guys,

i was thinking of doing that. just afraid of any backlash that might happen if i send out an email.

I would recommend to either contact someone from the Adcom that you have already met via the phone or just give the office a call. Ask to speak with an interview coordinator if you can. Express your concern about the overall experience without being too negative. Tell them you are concerned about what the outcome might be given the interviewer's behavior throughout the interview. Do not be demanding either. I think they would understand where you are coming from in a situation like this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
rocky312 wrote:
hey guys,

wow! that is unheard of.
As others said, you should contact the admissions office and let them know.
Maybe they will arrange for another interview opportunity.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thank you everyone. i'll just speak to the adcom member who helped set up this interview. the incident has just left me quite worried.

hope the rest of the applicants have a better interview!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
That's a horrible interview experience to have, but to play devils advocate a bit, some people do that to see how you'll react. They want to test how you face adversity and the unexpected. Not something I would do if I were on the other side of the table, but I've had it done to me before, both during this process and in the job search process.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Kudos
rocky312 wrote:
thank you everyone. i'll just speak to the adcom member who helped set up this interview. the incident has just left me quite worried.

hope the rest of the applicants have a better interview!

I agree with the others that you could call but I recommend keeping it objective and factual if you do:

1) I had my interview on X date with Y person.
2) He said these things, and I was surprised.
3) I wanted to share this information for two reasons: a) I am not certain how the interview report will look and b) I left feeling a bit uncomfortable.

Obviously you should frame in the way that suits you, but I would steer away from making any recommendations or criticisms.

Sorry to hear about this - good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
aerien wrote:
That's a horrible interview experience to have, but to play devils advocate a bit, some people do that to see how you'll react. They want to test how you face adversity and the unexpected. Not something I would do if I were on the other side of the table, but I've had it done to me before, both during this process and in the job search process.

I can understand this tactic for job interviews ( criticizing your/other companies and see if you follow suit) but B-school interviews would be the worst place to use it.
Also, the poster said that the interviewer was not taking any notes
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
Zynga wrote:
aerien wrote:

I can understand this tactic for job interviews ( criticizing your/other companies and see if you follow suit) but B-school interviews would be the worst place to use it.
Also, the poster said that the interviewer was not taking any notes

An interviewer doesn't need to take notes to watch you squirm. Maybe I've just had evil interviewers...and for better or for worse, the results don't tend to be in my favor when all is said and done.

Regardless OP, if you want to tell adcom about it, go ahead and use the great advice that's already been posted. After that, sweep it under the rug and hope for the best.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
aerien wrote:
Regardless OP, if you want to tell adcom about it, go ahead and use the great advice that's already been posted. After that, sweep it under the rug and hope for the best.

Although i'm against contacting the adcom with '/notes/flags' i think if you do decide to do it, do it the diplomatic way. Sweeping it under the rug, the best way to go. Just think of this as being dealt a 'bad hand' and hope for the best. As they say, it's not the bad hand itself that matters, but how one handles it and emerge, victorious.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
nyama wrote:
aerien wrote:

Although i'm against contacting the adcom with '/notes/flags' i think if you do decide to do it, do it the diplomatic way. Sweeping it under the rug, the best way to go. Just think of this as being dealt a 'bad hand' and hope for the best. As they say, it's not the bad hand itself that matters, but how one handles it and emerge, victorious.

Most definitely contact the adcom, by phone if possible. It is almost certain that they have absolutely no idea that this alum is representing their institution poorly. While it could have been an "interview tactic", it certainly didn't come off that way and caused you to doubt your commitment to the school. That's bad for business and bad for the school. You may not in the end benefit your application itself, but you could save some applicant in the future from this kind of uncomfortable situation. Pay it forward.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aerien wrote:

i've been through this during the job interview process but never heard of it happening during b-school interviews. as the other posters have mentioned, it is bad for business. i mean you don't want to drive students away.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Interview is over. Is there anything I can do to improve the possibility?
Hmm.. is the interview very important in Chicago Booth's admissions criteria?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  48   49   50   51   52   53   54  ...  84   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts