Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]
I should probably rephrase my fourth question. I'm not asking anyone to tell me where to apply. That's obviously a very personal choice, and I don't intend on having a stranger dictate the direction of my life. Yes, I have other factors in mind besides my career goals; I was merely addressing the concern you highlighted in your first post. My fourth question is specifically aimed at understanding what tier of school I have a chance at. I'm well aware that business schools specialize in different areas. I've read people's opinions, including your post comparing different programs. I'm fully capable of doing my own research. That's not what I'm here for.

My questions are geared towards how to get into business school, not how to choose one. Indeed, that is why I am interested in knowing if, historically, age has been a factor in gaining acceptance. The same goes for my questions around work experience. I would like to know if having less than three years of work experience is viewed negatively, just as a low GMAT score would be.

Perhaps I'm not ready to apply, and perhaps I sound "green." But that's a different issue that I'll figure out on my own.

Thanks again for your opinion. Gaining more experience is a valid point, something that I'm strongly considering, so I'm not sure why you thought I'd disagree with that.

aerien wrote:
I'm just one person, but I think your age won't do you any favors. You sound really green as far as this is concerned. You say you've done your research into the scholarship which is great. But if you do want to stay in consulting and you've done your research, you should know which schools are good for consulting in your area and which aren't as good a fit for you. You don't need to ask us where to apply (with no starting point at all) -- that's a personal choice, one which is guided by career goals, yes, but also encompasses many other factors.

You ask multiple times if your age will hurt you in the process, if you should gain more work experience. While those are questions all younger applicants have at some point in the process, if you're asking those questions still, then imo you're not ready to apply. Now, there's still time before next year's applications are due, and your job when/if you apply is to convince the adcom that you're ready -- you certainly don't have to convince me to gain admission. But you do need to do your research, and honestly I just don't think you're there yet. Work a few more years, gain some more experience -- it might pay off for you. If you disagree, which you probably do, go ahead and prove me wrong. Good luck!
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
Average age at most schools is 27. You can do the math.

Is a younger age a negative; is it harder to gain admission as a younger applicant? It depends on the applicant and the school. Some schools are more open to younger applicants and others are not. Some people apply at 22 and get in everywhere, other people apply at 22, 23, and 24 (or even 28, 29, and 30) and get dinged every year. At the end of the day, you have to be ready for bschool, and you have to show adcom you're ready in your application.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Send PM
I see. It's good to know that age isn't a factor, though there may be a correlation between youth and an inability to demonstrate readiness.

aerien wrote:
Average age at most schools is 27. You can do the math.

Is a younger age a negative; is it harder to gain admission as a younger applicant? It depends on the applicant and the school. Some schools are more open to younger applicants and others are not. Some people apply at 22 and get in everywhere, other people apply at 22, 23, and 24 (or even 28, 29, and 30) and get dinged every year. At the end of the day, you have to be ready for bschool, and you have to show adcom you're ready in your application.
GMAT Club Bot