Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [23]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [7]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [3]
Send PM
Re: The most effective and precise surveying technique for [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello roygush,

You got it right on spot. When it comes to CR questions, pay special attention to words like some,little,more,most, etc. They almost always have a trap.

roygush wrote:

Thanks. it is clearer now.
How often do you use this "some" trick?
I can use it in many other CR questions that have similar words like - less, more, many etc...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 656 [0]
Send PM
Kris01 wrote:
Hello roygush,

You got it right on spot. When it comes to CR questions, pay special attention to words like some,little,more,most, etc. They almost always have a trap.

roygush wrote:

I can use it in many other CR questions that have similar words like - less, more, many etc...

I know its not a RULE i should follow but just for general knowledge, lets say im down to two questions and one them contains one of these words, should i assume that this is the one i should eliminate and choose the other one?
Thanks again
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Send PM
No, not at all!! Sometimes your passage or argument might be talking only about a few people or few things. At such times there is a probability that those options might be right. What you should do is compare the usage of such words in passage and the options and then make sure that the right answer is consistent with the argument or passage when it comes to usage of such words.

However, when you do see such words like most, some, always etc, pay special attention to those options as these words might be the factors which might help you quicken up the decision process. Counter check their usage with the argument or passage quickly and based on that eliminate some options.

roygush wrote:
Kris01 wrote:
Hello roygush,

roygush wrote:

I know its not a RULE i should follow but just for general knowledge, lets say im down to two questions and one them contains one of these words, should i assume that this is the one i should eliminate and choose the other one?
Thanks again
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V26
Send PM
GMATNinja
Sir,
I have a doubt regarding answer choice A.Isn't there a minimum income level to qualify as taxpayers.But how can those people, who are jobless or lives on the street,qualify as taxevaders?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
techiesam wrote:
I have a doubt regarding answer choice A.Isn't there a minimum income level to qualify as taxpayers.But how can those people, who are jobless or lives on the street,qualify as taxevaders?

Quote:
A.The plan overlooks the fact that a significant number of income tax evaders may have no legal source of income or place of employment.

The keyword here is legal: you could easily have an illegal place of employment or an illegal source of income large enough to require you to pay taxes. But if those things aren't legal, then the plan won't work, because it's going to be awfully tough to survey people in an illicit workplace.

One other thought: you really don't need to worry about whether there's a minimum income level needed to qualify as a taxpayer. That's not necessarily true in all places, and at the very least, it's an assumption based on outside information. So that definitely shouldn't enter into your thinking here. Stay inside the narrow little box of the passage. :)

And as always, be careful not to put too much faith in these non-official questions, especially for RC and CR. The GMAT spends between $1500 and $3000 on every question, and even the very best test-prep companies can't compete. It's possible that the OP made a typo on (C) or (D), but those two answer choices alone should make you wonder about this one...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
Hi,

Can anyone please explain to me why C/D are wrong? Would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5736 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
csaluja wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone please explain to me why C/D are wrong? Would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Hi csaluja,

(C) and (D), which need to be updated by an admin to eliminate the repetition, are inaccurate for a few reasons:
1. Tax evasion and use of loop holes are different things. They are not synonymous.
2. The loop holes are LEGAL and we are trying to figure out ILLEGAL evasion. If they are legal, they are accounted for and do not help our case.

Does this help? If not, I can take another crack at it from a different view point.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 281
GPA: 3.46
Send PM
roygush wrote:
The most effective and precise surveying technique for determining the extent of income tax evasion in the United States is an anonymous workplace survey. This type of survey precisely reaches the target group, individuals with an income, and, because those individuals do not provide names or personal information, confidentiality is assured. We can then create an accurate picture of the amount and distribution of income tax evasion in the United States.

Which of the following provides the most serious criticism of the argument above?

A. The plan overlooks the fact that a significant number of income tax evaders may have no legal source of income or place of employment.

B. The plan overlooks the fact that some people may lie for fear of being identified as tax evaders.

C. The plan does not distinguish between tax evasion and the legitimate use of tax loopholes.

D. The plan does not distinguish between tax evasion and the legitimate use of tax loopholes.

E. The plan's anonymity prevents government officials from identifying income tax evaders and prosecuting them.

Eliminated 3 choices on the first 30 seconds. then when had 2 left chose the wrong one.
I re-read the stem and still not sure about the reasoning behind it.
Can someone elaborate?

I chose option A. That's correct, but the reasoning for eliminating option B was that it states 'evaders have fear of being identified, but the passage states that it is all confidential and no personal information is shared, so is my reasoning correct?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts