Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Re: Reapplicant - Advise please [#permalink]
When starting off with a re-applicant (especially when you are applying in consecutive years) generally do not believe in changing career goals. However, we do believe in enhancing your career goals and making them more comprehensive and compelling. I too recommend that before you start writing your applications (which we always believe in writing new essays, no matter what the instructions say), that you get feedback on what worked and did not work this year. The feedback you will receive will be invaluable and really set you on the right course for the next application cycle.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ManhattanReview wrote:
When starting off with a re-applicant (especially when you are applying in consecutive years) generally do not believe in changing career goals. However, we do believe in enhancing your career goals and making them more comprehensive and compelling. I too recommend that before you start writing your applications (which we always believe in writing new essays, no matter what the instructions say), that you get feedback on what worked and did not work this year. The feedback you will receive will be invaluable and really set you on the right course for the next application cycle.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.

Thanks for your inputs Kimberly. I don't plan to change the domain (energy/clean tech) in my post MBA goals. I am looking at changing the function (from marketing to finance) and industry (manufacturing to consulting/finance ). Obviously I will have to back these changes with logical reasons.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Regarding which schools provide feedback, I think you can find the answer on the FAQ page on the school website.
Don't give up!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
As an Indian applicant, is it extra tough to have less than 50%tile for acceptance GMAT scores? have you thought about widening the net or retaking?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
I'll echo a bit what's already been stated.

In your position, I would 1) retake the GMAT and get 700+ and 2) adjust your career goals -- you can change function or industry, but make sure to back it up with reasoning. Perhaps you took on a new responsibility at work that made you realize you'd be a better fit in finance over marketing, etc. That way adcom knows you've thought about this and aren't just choosing finance because you're applying to Columbia (for example).

Good luck! The second time around is still painful, but it's a bit easier/less stressful since you know what to expect and what you're getting into.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
french16 wrote:
Regarding which schools provide feedback, I think you can find the answer on the FAQ page on the school website.
Don't give up!

Thanks French16. I will check out the FAQ pages of these schools.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Deleted.

Originally posted by mrsustainability on 11 Mar 2013, 21:30.
Last edited by mrsustainability on 11 Mar 2013, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Redtailedhawk wrote:
As an Indian applicant, is it extra tough to have less than 50%tile for acceptance GMAT scores? have you thought about widening the net or retaking?

Hey Redtailedhawk

Could you please elaborate a little on 50%tile question? I am not sure I understand.

With respect to other B School options, yes I am considering/looking into other schools as well. I am essentially looking for some 'safe/medium range' schools since the schools I got dinged by fall into 'ambitious category'

And yes, I will be retaking the GMAT. Hoping to go past 700 this time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
aerien wrote:

In your position, I would 1) retake the GMAT and get 700+ and 2) adjust your career goals -- you can change function or industry, but make sure to back it up with reasoning. Perhaps you took on a new responsibility at work that made you realize you'd be a better fit in finance over marketing, etc. That way adcom knows you've thought about this and aren't just choosing finance because you're applying to Columbia (for example).

Good luck! The second time around is still painful, but it's a bit easier/less stressful since you know what to expect and what you're getting into.

Thanks Aerien. You have some impressive admits. Congratulations...

Yes. definitely retaking GMAT and hopefully GMAC gods will bless me with a 700+ score this time..

While it is painful to go through the process again, I am wiser from my experience and hopefully the coming season will yield better results. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
mrsustainability wrote:
aerien wrote:

Thanks Aerien. You have some impressive admits. Congratulations...

Yes. definitely retaking GMAT and hopefully GMAC gods will bless me with a 700+ score this time..

While it is painful to go through the process again, I am wiser from my experience and hopefully the coming season will yield better results. :)

This is the right attitude to have. Keep your head up and good luck next year! :-D
GMAT Club Bot