Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [1]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Why in the world is Haas so undervalued? [#permalink]
Kudos
According to U.S. News, it is not as well regarded by peers and recruiters as its contemporaries: https://poetsandquants.com/2012/03/13/hb ... -s-news/2/. Plus, it seems that its 71% "employed at graduation" statistic is also worse than schools in the same league. That said, I do love the school, otherwise I wouldn't have applied in the first place! :-D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
great points on regionality. Although this is probably a cycle the school will never break free of, since it's self-selecting. Haas places so well in the Valley, SF, Seattle and LA, that those most interested (and qualified) for Tech/Ent jobs in those markets gravitate to it, keeping the ratio high. Doesn't help Haas' East Coast numbers that leaving Cali is so damned hard!

CobraKai wrote:
cole2012 wrote:

So, what's the deal here? Does it place too many MBAs (~30%) into Tech to be ranked near Wharton or Columbia? Why is it not on par with MIT, whose strengths of tech and entrepreneurship are arguably *bettered* by its Cali rival? Is the network perceived as too West Coast? By that logic, shouldn't Kellogg and Booth be hampered by being so Midwest?

I think it has to do with it's West Coast location, which in turn leads to it's West Coast placement. The last employment report Haas published showed 60% stayed in the SF Bay area. That's a lot! I think this factor is why some folks might apply to Stanford for the brand name but not Haas. Anyone serious about Tech or placement in the Bay area will apply to both Stanford and Haas.

What it boils down to is that the West Coast schools like Stanford, Haas and Anderson are more regional by nature, though Stanford's brand definitely trumps that. What I mean is when you look at employment reports it looks like schools in the midwest and northeast are able to place a significant amount of students out west along with their regions, whereas the west coast schools a dominant majority on the west coast and just a few in other regions. To illustrate, Kellogg isn't "too midwest" because they place 35% of their class in the midwest, 18% in the northeast, and 18% on the west coast. That shows any applicant to Kellogg that not only can a Kellogg MBA place you in all major markets, but wherever you land, you'll have a solid network. By contrast, returning to Haas' employment report, they place 60% in the Bay Area, 5% in SoCal, and just 2.2% in the Northeast and 1.7% in the midwest.

Using myself as an example, I know Haas is a tremendous school, but seeing how I'm interested in ending up in NYC post-MBA, there were better options (I applied to Kellogg based on the reported 11% that end up in NYC). Again, it's not impossible to go from Haas to NYC, but when you do, it doesn't look like the network in NYC will be strong since most Haas grads don't choose to go that route.

By comparison, Stanford reports 60% placement on the West Coast, just 1% midwest, but a pretty solid 19% in the northeast...and again, it's strong reputation leads many applicants to go with the H/S/W application strategy based purely on brand because those schools are so different. Ultimately this leads to Haas drawing less applications - HBS has about 9000/yr, GSB ~6600/yr, and Wharton ~6400/yr...I think Haas is in the ~3400/yr range, and when you have less applications, the perception is that you get less choice of the "best" applicants.

This is probably more than you cared to read on a Saturday afternoon, but yes, I agree, Haas is under appreciated and usually placed near the bottom of the top 9, but anyone applying there as a "backup" to Stanford needs a reality check - it's about as selective as HBS! (12%)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
That's an interesting employment statistic, especially. I wonder what can account for that. Perhaps with so many graduates gunning for similar companies -- Google-Apple-Facebook, etc. -- the internal competition makes the process of getting that great job longer? Or maybe other things: startup jobs that take longer to nab, entrepreneurship.... Seems strange to have a relatively low employ-at-grad rate in a geography where it's constantly being reported that companies can't find enough talent to hire...

Thanks for the input.

kingfalcon wrote:
According to U.S. News, it is not as well regarded by peers and recruiters as its contemporaries: https://poetsandquants.com/2012/03/13/hb ... -s-news/2/. Plus, it seems that its 71% "employed at graduation" statistic is also worse than schools in the same league. That said, I do love the school, otherwise I wouldn't have applied in the first place! :-D
GMAT Club Bot