Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Logical Flawx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [47]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [14]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [12]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [2]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Re: Reviewer: The book Art's Decline argues that European painters today [#permalink]
Kudos
The evidence mentioned does not warrant that it is representative of the study. So anything that establishes that evidence was picked to favor will weaken it.

Hence A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Re: Reviewer: The book Art's Decline argues that European painters today [#permalink]
Hi GMATNinja VeritasKarishma
Can you help me to eliminate option C here?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V12
GPA: 3.61
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Hi,
I struggling with the appropriate approach to tackle such CR questions.

Can anyone explain me, why Option B is wrong?

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64923 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
manimgoindowndown wrote:
Reviewer: The book Art's Decline argues that European painters today lack skills that were common among European painters of preceding centuries. In this the book must be right, since its analysis of 100 paintings, 50 old and 50 contemporary, demonstrates convincingly that none of the contemporary paintings are executed as skillfully as the older paintings.

Which of the following points to the most serious logical flaw in the reviewer's argument?

(A) The paintings chosen by the book's author for analysis could be those that most support the book's thesis.

(B) There could be criteria other than the technical skill of the artist by which to evaluate a painting.

(C) The title of the book could cause readers to accept the book's thesis even before they read the analysis of the paintings that supports it.

(D) The particular methods currently used by European painters could require less artistic skill than do methods used by painters in other parts of the world.

(E) A reader who was not familiar with the language of art criticism might not be convinced by the book's analysis of the 100 paintings.

I had it between A and D
In retrospect I should have chosen A. It is just cleaner and I think the more familiar I am with a logical flaw the more it fits the bill

Premise 1. European painters lack skills that were common in the preceding century
Premise 2. In the book out of 100 paintings, 50 old, 50 new, none of the newer paintings are executed as skillfully as the older paintings.

Between 1 and 2 the flawed logic or assumption is that the book accurately

Here's where I get a little hung up.
In logical flaw questions, like strengthen and weaken we assume the answer prompts to be true, correct? I ask because I can see a wide array of answers to such logical flaw problems.

A also makes a lot more sense than B because although we can assume D to be true, the prompt tells us nothing about non-European artists. Then again the prompt doesn't tell us the book talks only about European artists, why could D not legitimately point out that these artists could possibly be non-European and hence the error ie because Euro artists are less skilled than world artists ->why we can't conclude that Euro artists between contemporary and old are not more or less skilled from the book;

Book's argument - European painters today are less skilful than preceding centuries' European painters.
Analyses of 50 paintings of each show that none of the contemporary paintings are executed as skilfully as the older paintings.

Flaw in the argument?
Because 100 paintings show that contemporary paintings are not executed as skilfully as the older paintings, can we say that painters today are not as skilful? No. What if the painters selected from yesteryears were the skilled ones and the contemporary painters selected are the not skilled ones just to prove the point? We don't know how the two groups were selected. What if there was bias in the selection?

(A) The paintings chosen by the book's author for analysis could be those that most support the book's thesis.

Correct. The sample could be biased. Then the analysis would not be valid.

(B) There could be criteria other than the technical skill of the artist by which to evaluate a painting.

A painting could be evaluated on the basis of 10 different criteria.

(C) The title of the book could cause readers to accept the book's thesis even before they read the analysis of the paintings that supports it.

That doesn't make you question the analysis/logic of the book. Even if the title colours the reader's opinion in the beginning, the analysis could be all on point and the argument could be valid.

(D) The particular methods currently used by European painters could require less artistic skill than do methods used by painters in other parts of the world.

Other parts of the world comparison is irrelevant.

(E) A reader who was not familiar with the language of art criticism might not be convinced by the book's analysis of the 100 paintings.

Irrelevant whether a reader would be convinced. The point is whether the analysis is valid.

Answer (A)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
In this question, if the option D was
"The particular methods currently used by European painters could require less artistic skill than do methods used by painters in Europe in previous centuries."

Would this make choice D a better choice over choice A as the biggest flaw?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
manimgoindowndown wrote:
Reviewer: The book Art's Decline argues that European painters today lack skills that were common among European painters of preceding centuries. In this the book must be right, since its analysis of 100 paintings, 50 old and 50 contemporary, demonstrates convincingly that none of the contemporary paintings are executed as skillfully as the older paintings.

Which of the following points to the most serious logical flaw in the reviewer's argument?

I had it between A and D
In retrospect I should have chosen A. It is just cleaner and I think the more familiar I am with a logical flaw the more it fits the bill

Premise 1. European painters lack skills that were common in the preceding century
Premise 2. In the book out of 100 paintings, 50 old, 50 new, none of the newer paintings are executed as skillfully as the older paintings.

Between 1 and 2 the flawed logic or assumption is that the book accurately

Here's where I get a little hung up.
In logical flaw questions, like strengthen and weaken we assume the answer prompts to be true, correct? I ask because I can see a wide array of answers to such logical flaw problems.

A also makes a lot more sense than B because although we can assume D to be true, the prompt tells us nothing about non-European artists. Then again the prompt doesn't tell us the book talks only about European artists, why could D not legitimately point out that these artists could possibly be non-European and hence the error ie because Euro artists are less skilled than world artists ->why we can't conclude that Euro artists between contemporary and old are not more or less skilled from the book;

Book's argument - European painters today are less skilful than preceding centuries' European painters.
Analyses of 50 paintings of each show that none of the contemporary paintings are executed as skilfully as the older paintings.

Flaw in the argument?
Because 100 paintings show that contemporary paintings are not executed as skilfully as the older paintings, can we say that painters today are not as skilful? No. What if the painters selected from yesteryears were the skilled ones and the contemporary painters selected are the not skilled ones just to prove the point? We don't know how the two groups were selected. What if there was bias in the selection?

Correct. The sample could be biased. Then the analysis would not be valid.

A painting could be evaluated on the basis of 10 different criteria.

That doesn't make you question the analysis/logic of the book. Even if the title colours the reader's opinion in the beginning, the analysis could be all on point and the argument could be valid.

Other parts of the world comparison is irrelevant.

Irrelevant whether a reader would be convinced. The point is whether the analysis is valid.

Answer (A)

Hi Karishma,
I have a similar query as to Why B is wrong? Is it because it brings outside information?

B weaken the conclusion, say if works in the other 9 criteria of the painting are better than that of the old artists, then it weakens the conclusion.
Even this option supports the bias mentioned. What if the author deliberately included this criteria to make contemporary artists look bad.

Thanks. :please:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
ABCDEFU wrote:
In this question, if the option D was
"The particular methods currently used by European painters could require less artistic skill than do methods used by painters in Europe in previous centuries."

Would this make choice D a better choice over choice A as the biggest flaw?

I think that this choice would be a valid choice as well.

Any comments? karishma GMATNinja
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
Reviewer: The book Art's Decline argues that European painters today [#permalink]
Hi MartyTargetTestPrep,

I hope you are doing great.

I have doubts about why (A) qualifies as the correct answer choice in this question.

I wrote a note from the TTP's CR module on Flaw type questions, it says, "Logical flaws are different from Weaken type questions in that logical flaws are "aspects of an argument that are flawed", and "no new outside information is introduced". So, in a Logical flaw question, we are seeking to highlight an aspect of the argument that is ill-conceived or is unsound".

If this concept is applied to (A), it does not fit. First, (A) brings in "outside information". (A) says that the sample could be biased. Second, there's no indication of such "bias" inflicted upon the study by the book author. Thus, I fail to reconcile the concepts of Logical flaw questions and this Official question. I feel that a logical flaw should be an aspect "stated in the argument provided" that needs to be pinpointed and critiqued. Bringing outside information is not necessarily "pointing out the logical flaw in the argument".

Thus, I'd appreciate it if you could share your views on this topic. Regards.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PyjamaScientist wrote:
Hi MartyTargetTestPrep,

I hope you are doing great.

I have doubts about why (A) qualifies as the correct answer choice in this question.

I wrote a note from the TTP's CR module on Flaw type questions, it says, "Logical flaws are different from Weaken type questions in that logical flaws are "aspects of an argument that are flawed", and "no new outside information is introduced". So, in a Logical flaw question, we are seeking to highlight an aspect of the argument that is ill-conceived or is unsound".

If this concept is applied to (A), it does not fit. First, (A) brings in "outside information". (A) says that the sample could be biased. Second, there's no indication of such "bias" inflicted upon the study by the book author. Thus, I fail to reconcile the concepts of Logical flaw questions and this Official question. I feel that a logical flaw should be an aspect "stated in the argument provided" that needs to be pinpointed and critiqued. Bringing outside information is not necessarily "pointing out the logical flaw in the argument".

Thus, I'd appreciate it if you could share your views on this topic. Regards.

Hi.

The idea presented by choice (A), which is basically that the sample could be biased, is not new information. It's an idea that is based on what the passage says. After all, even though the passage does not say that the sample could be biased, what the passage says about the book indicates that the sample could be biased.

The passage doesn't have to suggest that the sample could be biased. Rather, we can read the passage, see how the author of the argument supports the conclusion, and observe that the sample could be biased given what the passage says.

So, (A) does indeed point out a flaw in the argument, which is that the author of the argument has accepted the book's conclusion without addressing the fact that the sample of paintings used to support the book's conclusion may have been biased.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts