Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [142]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: HOW FAR ELLIPSIS IS PERMISSIBLE IN COMPARISON [#permalink]
Kudos
Correct me if I am wrong, but I understand that the sentence "John has more love for money than his wife." has a univocal meaning: Both and John and his wife love money. But between the two, John loves it more.

The sentence "John has more love for money than FOR his wife." has the unambiguous meaning: John loves both money and his wife. But he loves money more.

Can anyone clarify this issue?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi All,

We apologize for the confusion regarding the oppficial answer of teh practice question mentioned in this article. This article was reproduced and in the process, the person who reproduced the article made a typo error regarding the OA.

The Correct NAswer indeed is Choice C. The error has been rectified, and once again we apologize for any confusion this error created.

Thanks.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Recobita wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I understand that the sentence "John has more love for money than his wife." has a univocal meaning: Both and John and his wife love money. But between the two, John loves it more.

The sentence "John has more love for money than FOR his wife." has the unambiguous meaning: John loves both money and his wife. But he loves money more.

Can anyone clarify this issue?

Hi Recobita,

John has more love for money than his wife.

This sentence does not have the univocal meaning as you have explained. It actually has ambiguous because we can infer two meanings here. One meaning can be what you have inferred where the entities compared are John and his wife. The second meaning can be that John loves both his wife and money but he loves money more.

If the meaning that you have inferred were univocal, there would not be any need of repeating helping verbs to clarify comparisons. If this was the case, then the official sentence mentioned in the article, would have two correct answer choices.

The sentences that have unambiguous meanings are:
a. John has more love for money than DOES his wife.
b. John has more love for money than FOR his wife.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [36]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Here is the much awaited solution for the Official Question posted in this article.

Despite recent increases in sales and cash flow that have propelled automobile companies common stocks to new highs, several industry analysts expect automakers, in order to conserve cash, to set dividends more conservatively than they were.

Sentence Structure
• Despite recent increases in sales and cash flow
o that have propelled automobile companies common stocks to new highs,
• (Continuation of 1st Clause) several industry analysts expect automakers, in order to conserve cash, to set dividends more conservatively
o than they were.

Meaning
• This sentence presents a contrast.
• Fact 1
o There have been recent increases in sales and cash flow of the automobile companies.
o These increases have pushed their stocks to new highs.
• Contrasting Fact 2
o However, several analysts expect automakers to set dividends more conservatively than they have been doing in the past in order to conserve cash.

Error Analysis
Now let’s find the errors in the original sentence.

• Despite recent increases in sales and cash flow
o that have propelled automobile companies common stocks to new highs,
• (Continuation of 1st Clause) several industry analysts expect automakers, in order to conserve cash, to set dividends more conservatively
o than they were.

The underlined portion of the sentence presents comparison. It intends to say that the automakers will have to be more conservative in setting dividends than they were before.

Now in order to present comparison in grammatically correct manner, the entity following the comparison marker “than” should be parallel to the entity preceding it. But in this sentence, that is not the case. Let’s see what is happening here:
We have the case of ellipsis, i.e. a few words are not repeated. But whenever we omit words, these omitted words must be present somewhere in the sentence in the same form. From the construction of choice A, it appears that the part after “than” should be “they were setting”. Note that “setting” has been omitted. And this is the mistake in this sentence because “setting” is not present in the sentence. The expression “to set” is present. Hence we cannot omit something that is not present in the sentence and thus the ellipsis has not been done appropriately. So in order to correct this error, we will need to explicitly state the complete idea.

With this understanding of the error in choice A, we will do the PoE to find the correct answer.

PoE
A. to set dividends more conservatively than they were : Incorrect for the reasons stated above - incorrect application of ellipsis.

B. to set dividends more conservatively than they have been: Incorrect.

This choice repeats the error in choice A. The latter part of comparison can be completed by saying “they have been setting”. And again the word “setting” does not appear in the sentence and hence this choice is incorrect.

C. to be more conservative than they have been in setting dividends : Correct.
This choice corrects the error of choice A by explicitly stating the entire idea.

D. that they will be more conservative than they were in setting dividends : Incorrect
This choice results in following sentence:
…several industry analysts expect automakers that they will be more conservative than they were in setting dividends.
Note that the correct usage of “expect” is as follows:
• Elders expect youngsters to respect them. – expect x to verb
• Elders expect that youngsters respect them. – expect that x verb
However this choice uses expect in an incorrect manner similar to following:
• Elders expect youngsters that youngsters respect them.
This is why this choice is incorrect.

E. that they will be more conservative than they have been to set dividends: Incorrect.

This choice also repeats the error in choice D.

1. Always make sure that the omitted words (when applying ellipsis) appear in the sentence elsewhere.
2. Use words in their correct usage; expect has not been used correctly in choices D and E.

- Payal
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Schools: ISB '16 NUS '15
Send PM
Hi E-GMAT,

Although Napoleon’s army entered Russia with far
more supplies than they had in their previous
campaigns, it had provisions for only twenty-four days.
(A) they had in their previous campaigns,
(B) their previous campaigns had had,
(C) they had for any previous campaign,
(D) in their previous campaigns,
(E) for any previous campaign,

After going the OG solution and E-GMAT analysis , the only thing i need to clarify is the statement "for any previous campaign" in which the word "FOR" is not mention the any previous statement then how come we can use "FOR"?.

Referring to one the above statement "John has more love for money than FOR his wife." where FOR was used to show more clear comparison that mention earlier in the sentence?

Could you please help to whatI'm missing ?

Thanks
Nitin
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [1]
Send PM