Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Yale '15 (WL)
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Expert Reply
tokugawa86 wrote:
Yale drops to 13 in USNEWS.. theyre really trying to sell magazines this year arent they ;-)

Right?! Hah!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
aerien wrote:
tokugawa86 wrote:
Yale drops to 13 in USNEWS.. theyre really trying to sell magazines this year arent they ;-)

Right?! Hah!

The concept of a school being "3 ranks" lower one year 3 higher another is foolish.. it gives the impression that the quality of the institution is fluctuating when in reality it's relatively consistent
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
tokugawa86 wrote:
aerien wrote:
tokugawa86 wrote:

Right?! Hah!

The concept of a school being "3 ranks" lower one year 3 higher another is foolish.. it gives the impression that the quality of the institution is fluctuating when in reality it's relatively consistent

Exactly. I guess I'll be buying my copy tomorrow and seeing if SOM's score went from 80.90 to 80.82 (numbers are hypothetical) :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Yale '15 (I)
Send PM
alphabetagamma wrote:
My analysis ( I could be totally wrong)

Among the 120 members of the Facebook group so far, I believe that NOT everyone of them is matriculating. The group includes all the students who have been accepted to the program. Historically, yield for Yale SOM has been about 45% that would imply about 60 of them have matriculated. Even if the yield has increased to 70%(extreme case) we are looking at 84 students that have matriculated.

To give an idea: Class of 2014 group has 289 members, well above the # actually in the class.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
chessmaster1234 wrote:
alphabetagamma wrote:

Among the 120 members of the Facebook group so far, I believe that NOT everyone of them is matriculating. The group includes all the students who have been accepted to the program. Historically, yield for Yale SOM has been about 45% that would imply about 60 of them have matriculated. Even if the yield has increased to 70%(extreme case) we are looking at 84 students that have matriculated.

To give an idea: Class of 2014 group has 289 members, well above the # actually in the class.

To further add to the speculation: there are several current students in Darden's 2015 FB group to answer questions for admitted students. If this is the case for Yale, too, that could explain the group's large size. Personally, I would be inclined to join the admitted student's FB group for any school I was seriously considering even if I wasn't set on the decision (as I did with Darden). But I agree with the earlier post that there are also some '15ers who probably never will join the group that might balance the size. Who knows!
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
lb2015 wrote:
chessmaster1234 wrote:
alphabetagamma wrote:

To further add to the speculation: there are several current students in Darden's 2015 FB group to answer questions for admitted students. If this is the case for Yale, too, that could explain the group's large size. Personally, I would be inclined to join the admitted student's FB group for any school I was seriously considering even if I wasn't set on the decision (as I did with Darden). But I agree with the earlier post that there are also some '15ers who probably never will join the group that might balance the size. Who knows!

I don't think there are any current students except for some dual degrees (law, health, forestry, etc), but there are some adcom members in the Yale group. Duke's fb numbers are also quite inflated as it seems 30+ people are '14s. They're there to answer questions, but only a handful actually contribute.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Not gonna lie, the 66.5% employment rate at graduation is a bit scary! Any insight into what this could be attributed to?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: International Business, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.56
WE:General Management (Consulting)
Send PM
dman25 wrote:
Not gonna lie, the 66.5% employment rate at graduation is a bit scary! Any insight into what this could be attributed to?

Where are you finding this number?

Yale's employment report here (https://mba.yale.edu/MBA/careers/pdf/employment_data.pdf) states at 3 months after graduation, of those seeking employment, 89% of those had received offers...
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
dman25 wrote:

That is scary and was something I considered when picking schools. At the end of the day it's about how much effort you put into your job search. Would you love it if on campus recruiting showered you with offers? Of course! But if you want to do something that doesn't recruit on campus, then the onus is on you to get an offer where you want to be. Now, that probably won't account for the entire 40% but I'd think it'd account for some. Just my two cents.

From an adcom/recruiting perspective, this could have provided the impetus to hire Booth's head of recruiting. Everyone seems to love her and hopefully she'll work her magic on SOM.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GPA: 3.7
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
ln0038a wrote:
dman25 wrote:

Where are you finding this number?

Yale's employment report here (https://mba.yale.edu/MBA/careers/pdf/employment_data.pdf) states at 3 months after graduation, of those seeking employment, 89% of those had received offers...

ln0038a - the link to where that 66.5% number is below:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-us-news-business-school-ranking-149042.html

That forum post includes an excel download of the US News 2014 ranking with details on avg. GMAT, acceptance rate, avg. starting salary, avg. undergrad GPA, etc. I totally agree that these full-time employment rates look way off compared to what the Yale SOM page shows. 66.5% would put them at #57 compared to the other schools in this excel file.

Another thing to note: the Yale employment PDF shows median starting salary (100K) + median guaranteed comp (30.75K). This is about 10K higher than the average of 121K shown in the excel file. I understand that median does not equal average, but I wanted to point that out. All I'm saying is that the data looks a little strange.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Did everyone just get the "touching base" email from SOM? Scared the bejeezus out of me! Then realized that Yale was just kindly reminding me to wait another 2.5 weeks for a decision :/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: International Business, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.56
WE:General Management (Consulting)
Send PM
msss wrote:
Did everyone just get the "touching base" email from SOM? Scared the bejeezus out of me! Then realized that Yale was just kindly reminding me to wait another 2.5 weeks for a decision :/

Same. I dont know how to feel. Thanks for letting us know you havent forgotten us, but really can't you just tell us noooow.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
ln0038a wrote:
msss wrote:

Same. I dont know how to feel. Thanks for letting us know you havent forgotten us, but really can't you just tell us noooow.

I was hoping to find out maybe couple days before the decision date but I guess we will all have to wait until decision date!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Send PM
Calm down, guys :)
We will have our final decision soon!
Easier said than done, I know. I am also exploding of anxiety... let's keep calm and our faith!
What has to be, it's going to be!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
i didn't receive the email!!! Panic maybe?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 720 Q42 V47
GPA: 3.2
WE:Business Development (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
ln0038a wrote:
msss wrote:

Did both of you interview?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
naughtyelf2000 wrote:
i didn't receive the email!!! Panic maybe?

Did you interview? The email I got started off by saying "it's been a while since you interviewed"
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  38   39   40   41   42   43   44  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts