Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Pharmaceutical ads [#permalink]
I will go with E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
rthothad wrote:
I will go with E

The which modifies pharma ads and not customer-oriented info.

HMTG.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
rthothad wrote:
I will go with E

E is missing THAN

It should be RATHER THAN instead of RATHER
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
riteshgupta1 wrote:
rthothad wrote:
I will go with E

E is missing THAN

It should be RATHER THAN instead of RATHER

But B uses 'are' to modify 'consumer-oriented medical information' which is more ill suited than 'E'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
WHICH is starting a non-restrictive clause and should modify the nearest noun available, which in this case is adverstisement(s), not the subject of the clause.

Hence B.

To clarify the matter furthur.. Lets extend this example...

ill individuals tend to be unduly influenced by consumer-oriented medical information, such as pharmaceutical advertisements, which are better designed to increase market share rather than to provide accurate health related advice, and American Medical Journal, which is constantly updated with new discoveries by health professional.

Now if you see, first NON_restrictive clause is modifying adverstisements and second NON_restrictive clause is modifing AMJ.

If we do not follow this priniciple, then both clauses should modify medical information. So thumb rule is "restrictive clause should modify the nearest noun available."

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Guys & Gals,
Everyone(including myself) missed the correct ans.
The OA is 'D'.
Didn't agree with the answer choice myself.
However, the explanation is as follows:
In B, the lack of the comma after the phrase 'such as pharmaceutical advertisements' makes the pharmaceutical advertisements the subject of the sentence. Hence the verb 'are' is appropriate. But B incorrectly uses the non-restrictive 'which' instead of 'that'.
'That' must be used whenever what is being described is essential to the meaning of the sentence.

Can anyone clarify this point further?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Yes I have opted for B but the OA looks to be correct...Here I think we need a restrictive clause
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
In the absence of appropriate medical care, ill individuals tend to be unduly influenced by consumer-oriented medical information, such as pharmaceutical advertisements, [i]that are better designed to increase market share rather than to provide accurate health related advice[/i].

A)
B) such as pharmaceutical advertisements, which are better designed to increase market share rather than to provide

C) such as pharmaceutical advertisements, that are better at increasing market share than at providing accurate

D) such as pharmaceutical advertisements, that is better designed to increase market share than to provide

E)such as pharmaceutical advertisements, which is better designed to increase market share rather to provide

i think here is better designed to increase marker share thgan to provide is not foe pharmaceutical advertisements but it is for consumer oriented medical information because if weaskthe question what is/are better desgined the answer is consumer oriented.........

i think i m right if nor pls correct me
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 861 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Correct me guys, if I am wrong. I think the answer should be B and the OA - D is wrong.

To those of you, who are still confused regarding the use of that vs. which,

Consider the following example

--------------------
That vs which: restrictive and nonrestrictive clauses. Restrictive clauses are essential to the meaning of a sentence, while unrestrictive clauses are parenthetical. Unrestrictive clauses are always set off with commas, and restrictive clauses are never set off with commas. Which is appropriate for unrestrictive clauses, and that is appropriate for restrictive clauses.

Example of an unrestrictive clause: "The story, which appeared on the second page, was compelling."

Or, written to include a restrictive clause: "The story that appeared on the second page was compelling."
-----------------------

As a comma precedes "that" in choice D, choice D is out. Besides, the use of "is" is wrong. As the that refers to "pharmaceutical advertisements", the word "are" should follow.

IMHO, the answer should be B.

PS - if the answer is not B, then my grammar fundas are in for a major overhaul. (fingers crossed)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
It's a clear (D).

(A), (B) and (C) are ruled out because of subject/verb issues. Information is singluar and should take a singular verb, 'is' not 'are'.

In (E), an idiom trick, IMO, is wrong because using 'better' and 'rather' together is not idiomatic. the right combination should be '....better....than' as in (D), and not '...better...rather' as in (E).

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Verbal Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
654 posts
Current Student
733 posts
Current Student
278 posts