Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Overlapping Setsx   Percent and Interest Problemsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619018 [138]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619018 [28]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1492 [8]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 376 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: In a survey of retailers, what percent had purchased computers for bus [#permalink]
Kudos
cyberjadugar wrote:
Hi,

From (1),
85% of the retailers surveyed who owned their own store had purchased computers for business purposes.

From (2)
40% of the retailers surveyed owned their own store.

Using both (1) & (2),
People who owned their own store had purchased computers for business purposes = 0.4*0.85 = 0.34
but this fraction is from those who own store. No information is given about the people who don't own the store.

Thus, Answer is (E).

It could be better explained using the diagram: (x is a variable & I think you could get the meaning of grey area, :wink: )

Dear cyberjadugar,
cud u pls explain why are we considering who own stores and who do not. the question is not asking for it.
it seems i am not getting an imp point.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1492 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Re: In a survey of retailers, what percent had purchased computers for bus [#permalink]
kashishh wrote:
Dear cyberjadugar,
cud u pls explain why are we considering who own stores and who do not. the question is not asking for it.
it seems i am not getting an imp point.

Hi,

The question is asking what percent had purchased computers for business purposes?

and on solving we get,
People who owned their own store had purchased computers for business purposes = 0.4*0.85 = 0.34 or 34%

I can't surely say that there are no more people other than those who own stores, and this is perhaps questionable!

Regards,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V38
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Difficulty level: 650 only because of language

Important: Need to calculate the percentage of people who bought computers for business purpose.

Stmt 1: 85% of retailers surveyed who owned their own store had purchased computers for business purpose: There is possibility of retailers didnt owning a store still have bought computer for business purpose. Insufficient.

Stmt 2: 40% of the retailers surveyed owned their own store: This allows us to calculate the percentage of retailers who owned their own store and who didnt own their own store but we do not know how many of them purchased computers for business purpose. Insufficient.

Together: We know the percentage of retailers who owned store and also bought computer for business purpose but we can not calculate the percentage of people who didnt own store but still bought computer for business purpose. Both together insufficient.

Catch is in the last portion which makes this question difficult to answer under pressure.

Answer E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: UWC
Own Kudos [?]: 8799 [1]
Given Kudos: 100
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Here's another way of doing this:

Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 31.58 KiB | Viewed 55528 times ]

N is the total number of survey participants including those who own their own stores and those who do not.
Both statements together are insufficient because we are not given any information on how many store owners who took part in the survey and who do not own their store purchased computers. Statement 2 states that 40 percent of the retailers surveyed owned their own store; therefore logically the other 60 percent consists of retailers who do not own their own store.

I usually prefer doing overlapping sets type questions using tables a la MGMAT style. Others may find this approach helpful as well.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32878 [1]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Kudos
This question in my opinion is more or less 600.

using only logic we obtain E.

1) 80 % of what number 10 retailer or 1 million ?'

2) 40% of the retailers surveyed owned their own store.

1) + 2) here we have only % of what real number to manipulate ?? Not enough...............
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Somehow I am not getting to the solution of this one

The question says "what percent had purchased
computers for business purposes?"

=> What percent OF TOTAL purchased computer for BUSINESS PURPOSES?

As calculated by BUNUEL, the answer is 34% .

So, isn't (C) should be the answer.

Plz Advice

Rgds,
TGC
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619018 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
targetgmatchotu wrote:

Plz Advice

Rgds,
TGC

We need to find what percent had purchased computers for business purposes, which is yellow box here: in-a-survey-of-retailers-what-percent-had-purchased-134506.html#p1098581 and it cannot be found.

34% is % of the retailers who owned their own store and purchased computers for business purposes.

Hope it helps.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3156 [0]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:

Plz Advice

Rgds,
TGC

We need to find what percent had purchased computers for business purposes, which is yellow box here: in-a-survey-of-retailers-what-percent-had-purchased-134506.html#p1098581 and it cannot be found.

34% is % of the retailers who owned their own store and purchased computers for business purposes.

Hope it helps.

I might be wrong 100%,but still it is unclear to me

what percent had purchased computers for business purposes?

Here percent should be of TOTAL and NOT YELLOW

Plz Advice

Rgds,
TGC
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
targetgmatchotu wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:

Plz Advice

Rgds,
TGC

Hope it helps.

I might be wrong 100%,but still it is unclear to me

what percent had purchased computers for business purposes?

Here percent should be of TOTAL and NOT YELLOW

Plz Advice

Rgds,
TGC

Yellow box IS total for computers purchased for business purposes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Bunuel

In this question, why can't we derive the total of computer for biz purpose as follow:

If 40%x is number of retailers owning a store, then 60%x is number of retailers not owing a shop. Also, if 85%of 40%x is number of retailers owing a store and using computer for biz purpose, then 15%(given from 100%-85%)of 60%x is number of retailers not owing a store but using computer for biz purpose.

So 1)+2) 85/100*40/100*x+15/100*60/100*x= tot of retailers using computers for biz purpose. To me seems legit C.

Please, let me know why I'm wrong.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
elisabettaportioli wrote:
Bunuel

In this question, why can't we derive the total of computer for biz purpose as follow:

If 40%x is number of retailers owning a store, then 60%x is number of retailers not owing a shop. Also, if 85%of 40%x is number of retailers owing a store and using computer for biz purpose, then 15%(given from 100%-85%)of 60%x is number of retailers not owing a store but using computer for biz purpose.

So 1)+2) 85/100*40/100*x+15/100*60/100*x= tot of retailers using computers for biz purpose. To me seems legit C.

Please, let me know why I'm wrong.

The red part should be as follows: 15% of the retailers surveyed who owned their own store had NOT purchased computers for business purposes.
Please check the matrix below.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2413 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Here is a visual that should help.
Attachments

Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 7.42.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 7.42.00 PM.png [ 67.88 KiB | Viewed 38690 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

How long should a question like this take to answer? I a atleast consuming 2-3 minutes on a questions like this.

Abhinav
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
abypatra wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

How long should a question like this take to answer? I a atleast consuming 2-3 minutes on a questions like this.

Abhinav

As you can see in timers' stats, average time users took to answer this question correctly is 02:06. So, ~2 minutes should be OK.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6275 [1]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
In a survey of retailers, what percent had purchased computers for business purposes?

(1) 85 percent of the retailers surveyed who owned their own store had purchased computers for business purposes.
(2) 40 percent of the retailers surveyed owned their own store.

85 percent of the retailers surveyed who owned their own store had purchased computers for business purposes.

Since we don’t know the number of retailers who don’t own their own stores and the percentage of those retailers who purchased computers for business purposes, statement one is not sufficient to answer the question.

Statement Two Alone:

40 percent of the retailers surveyed owned their own store.

Since statement two tells us nothing regarding the retailers who purchased their computer for business purposes, statement two alone does not answer the question.

Statements One and Two Together:

With both statements, although we know the percentage of the retailers who don’t own their stores, we still don’t know the percentage of those retailers who purchased computers for business purposes. The two statements together are not sufficient to answer the question.

Answer: E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
In a survey of retailers, what percent had purchased computers for business purposes?

(1) 85 percent of the retailers surveyed who owned their own store had purchased computers for business purposes.
(2) 40 percent of the retailers surveyed owned their own store.

Answer - E

Reason - Statement one tells us that of the people surveyed, few had their own store, and of those people, 85% purchased computers for business purposes. To put it in mathematical form - there were x% people from total who owned a store, and of that x%, 85% purchased computers for business. So, in this statement, 2 things are missing, 1 what is x over here, and other than the X%, how many other people had bought computers for business? Hence A, and D were eliminated.

Statement 2 tells us that 40% of people owned their store. Definitely not sufficient. B eliminated.

Combining the statements, We still are missing one major piece of information and that is other than the 40% of people who owned their own store, were there any other people who also bought computers for business purposes? Hence E is the answer.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts