Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.45
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.13
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
WE:Operations (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.43
WE:Other (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Washington (Foster) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
crackHSW wrote:
Crazy jump of Foster from #35 - #23 in US news , not that I am complaining :) but would like to know what are the reasons for this gigantic jump..

I think I read something in the paper that said that US News had this crazy and wacky idea to rank the schools based on the kinds of jobs you get afterwords.

I mean, I always though fosters was underranked, because it has a higher job rate than some of the top 20 schools, with a higher signing bonus, and a little lower average starting salary.

In fact, for finance it has a higher average starting salary than UNC (my top choice). Granted it only places a couple of students in Finance but that just means Ill get more facaulty attention, hey oh!

But it was mostly the job placement afterwords (which is more important than the MBA)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
dstjonn wrote:
crackHSW wrote:
Crazy jump of Foster from #35 - #23 in US news , not that I am complaining :) but would like to know what are the reasons for this gigantic jump..

I think I read something in the paper that said that US News had this crazy and wacky idea to rank the schools based on the kinds of jobs you get afterwords.

I mean, I always though fosters was underranked, because it has a higher job rate than some of the top 20 schools, with a higher signing bonus, and a little lower average starting salary.

In fact, for finance it has a higher average starting salary than UNC (my top choice). Granted it only places a couple of students in Finance but that just means Ill get more facaulty attention, hey oh!

But it was mostly the job placement afterwords (which is more important than the MBA)

Very good observation , I still find it unbelievable though and as you pointed out 2/3 of the class had a signing bonus , which puts the total salary in 6 figures and that in itself is a big hallmark of the program. I wouldn't have worried one bit even if Foster was ranked early 30s, personally I am yet to find a school that has better ROI than U dub B school
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.43
WE:Other (Consulting)
Send PM
crackHSW wrote:
Very good observation , I still find it unbelievable though and as you pointed out 2/3 of the class had a signing bonus , which puts the total salary in 6 figures and that in itself is a big hallmark of the program. I wouldn't have worried one bit even if Foster was ranked early 30s, personally I am yet to find a school that has better ROI than U dub B school

It is the main reason I applied to Fosters.

I find myself in a really difficult conundrium about it too. I think that Foster's is the hands down best choice for my career but I wanted to live on the east coast.

Sigh, I guess I can hope that I wont be dead at 30 and can move on afterwords.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.4
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I just got the phone call saying I've been accepted, after being waitlisted in January. I completely forgot decisions would be coming out today so it was a very nice surprise. I'm just not sure I can afford to go...
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I got a call as well and was told that I am in.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Got the official email, but no mention of scholarship.. Did anyone receive scholarship?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
R4 waiting on interview invite. I still haven't heard anything... waiting patiently but getting anxious!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [0]
Send PM
capri85 wrote:
Got the official email, but no mention of scholarship.. Did anyone receive scholarship?

No Scholarship for me. Anyone else recieved any schol from Foster ??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got an invite to interview tonight! Looking forward to it! This thread has been helpful with all the interview feedback.

Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
laurnorthwest wrote:
Got an invite to interview tonight! Looking forward to it! This thread has been helpful with all the interview feedback.

Woohoo! Show them whose boss.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
crackHSW wrote:
Not much activity on this thread , would any of the current students from Foster shed some light on the placements for international students. I am really worried about going into this school. I could not find any information regarding placements for internationals and specifically found Foster to be a little weak in Consulting placements. I could not see even tier 2 consulting firms such as Accenture ,Oliver etc. Is it really that bad for Consulting? I know for sure that its tech biased school because of its location, but would it be rated as the lowest most ranked school in the West coast as far as the placements for Consulting go..

My cousin went to Foster undergrad - the campus is gorgeous! Especially this time of year, the cherry trees on campus are blooming and it's amazing - I visited her right after their new building opened and was blown away. Anyhow, she was interested in consulting and there seemed to be lots of firms on campus. True, there are none of the MBB types, but Deloitte, Accenture, Mercer, PwC advisory and several other very respectable firms recruit there formally. She interviewed with Deloitte (~5 undergrad spots in strategy, more in tech) and Accenture (~50 undergrad positions across all areas). She had tons of interviews (with firms in Seattle and San Francisco so the hiring is regional for Northwest/West Coast). If you're interested in tech, Microsoft and Amazon are the two big players on campus. From an international perspective, many of the larger consulting firms that recruit there do sponsor visas (Deloitte and Accenture definitely do). Anyhow, hopefully that's helpful! Good luck choosing, Seattle is a lovely city!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
panama5565 wrote:
crackHSW wrote:
Not much activity on this thread , would any of the current students from Foster shed some light on the placements for international students. I am really worried about going into this school. I could not find any information regarding placements for internationals and specifically found Foster to be a little weak in Consulting placements. I could not see even tier 2 consulting firms such as Accenture ,Oliver etc. Is it really that bad for Consulting? I know for sure that its tech biased school because of its location, but would it be rated as the lowest most ranked school in the West coast as far as the placements for Consulting go..

My cousin went to Foster undergrad - the campus is gorgeous! Especially this time of year, the cherry trees on campus are blooming and it's amazing - I visited her right after their new building opened and was blown away. Anyhow, she was interested in consulting and there seemed to be lots of firms on campus. True, there are none of the MBB types, but Deloitte, Accenture, Mercer, PwC advisory and several other very respectable firms recruit there formally. She interviewed with Deloitte (~5 undergrad spots in strategy, more in tech) and Accenture (~50 undergrad positions across all areas). She had tons of interviews (with firms in Seattle and San Francisco so the hiring is regional for Northwest/West Coast). If you're interested in tech, Microsoft and Amazon are the two big players on campus. From an international perspective, many of the larger consulting firms that recruit there do sponsor visas (Deloitte and Accenture definitely do). Anyhow, hopefully that's helpful! Good luck choosing, Seattle is a lovely city!

Hey thanks a lot for the information. It is really encouraging to see so many consulting firms recruiting from Foster. Also if it goes till San Francisco then its even more helpful. I am more interested in staying on the West Coast and really should be able to compromise on pretty much anything to stay there :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Had my interview a couple days ago on campus. Pretty straight forward interview, no curve balls thrown. She was very nice and overall it was pretty laid back. They will be conducting interviews throughout April and will send out decisions by mid-May. I'll be anxiously awaiting news from them these next few weeks!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Keep us informed about the progress. There is a FB group for admitted students where all the happenings are being discussed :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just got the call today. I've been admitted! Shortly thereafter I received an email with more information and upcoming admit activities. So excited! Good luck to the rest of the round 4 applicants!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
WE:Operations (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
laurnorthwest wrote:
Just got the call today. I've been admitted! Shortly thereafter I received an email with more information and upcoming admit activities. So excited! Good luck to the rest of the round 4 applicants!

Congratulations! I just received notice this weekend that I got admitted as well! :) Who here is going to Welcome Weekend? I will be flying up from the SF Bay Area. Looking forward to meeting everyone real soon!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT Date: 12-20-2012
WE:Operations (Computer Software)
Send PM
laurnorthwest wrote:

congrats .
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts