Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.06
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink]
EmBeeAy23 wrote:

wow, sorry to hear that NYCFinanceGuy. That is a certainly an impressive WL effort. Hope you have other options lined up and if not, there's always next year or other non-MBA alternatives! You gave it your best shot.

I'm also out. At least the waiting is finally over ~ onwards to Johnson! Good luck to the rest of you's and congrats to those admitted!

Thanks EmBeeAy. Definitely sucks but you're right I did give it my best shot. Best of luck at Johnson.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Send PM
Count me in for R2 waitlist!

(PS: Sorry to hear that, NYCFinanceGuy!)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:
Same here. DING. I honestly don't know what more i could have done. I thought for sure I would get in, much less remain on the waitlist.

I updated ADCOM on a promotion at work, additional international responsibilities at work etc. I met more SOM students, reached out to the ones I'd previously met and even reached out to clubs I previously mentioned I was interested in. I even attended the Yale Philanthropy Conference at the suggestion of a current Net Impact member where I had a wonderful experience and had the pleasure of meeting Professors Nalebuff, Sheldon and Kolditz, all of whom I had meaningful conversations with. I attempted to help a current SOM student with his internship interview which just happened to be at my current company (all of this was on my Update Letter). I truly don't know what more I could have done.

I just got waitlisted today. but wow.. sorry to hear about your decision. It sounds like you literally did everything you could and to me those look like some solid updates/improvements... that really sucks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
https://mba.yale.edu/news_events/CMS/Articles/6395.shtml

Do these tips still apply? Is it okay to ask for feedback if you're not quite sure what the "soft" spots were in your application?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V39
GMAT 2: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
WL'd --- if you don't intend to stay in consideration, are you supposed to withdraw, or is it sufficient to just not submit the form to stay on the WL?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
forquer wrote:
WL'd --- if you don't intend to stay in consideration, are you supposed to withdraw, or is it sufficient to just not submit the form to stay on the WL?

Once you click on the form, there is an option to put "no".
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:
Same here. DING. I honestly don't know what more i could have done. I thought for sure I would get in, much less remain on the waitlist.

I updated ADCOM on a promotion at work, additional international responsibilities at work etc. I met more SOM students, reached out to the ones I'd previously met and even reached out to clubs I previously mentioned I was interested in. I even attended the Yale Philanthropy Conference at the suggestion of a current Net Impact member where I had a wonderful experience and had the pleasure of meeting Professors Nalebuff, Sheldon and Kolditz, all of whom I had meaningful conversations with. I attempted to help a current SOM student with his internship interview which just happened to be at my current company (all of this was on my Update Letter). I truly don't know what more I could have done.

i feel the same way (not knowing what more I could have done and expecting to be rewarded), which is why i've become so disillusioned with the whole process and am honestly a little sick of it.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
tokugawa86 wrote:
https://mba.yale.edu/news_events/CMS/Articles/6395.shtml

Do these tips still apply? Is it okay to ask for feedback if you're not quite sure what the "soft" spots were in your application?

Those look like good tips to me! Granted, SOM doesn't seem to be giving the WL any love lately.. :/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Shocked to find out that I was put on the waitlist today for R2...assumed I was dinged because I didn't even get invited to an interview. Anyone else in the same boat? Do I have any legit chance of getting of the waitlist at this point, or should I assume that I'm pretty much near the bottom of the list (because no interview)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sorry to hear that NYCfinanceguy :-(
did all the R1 waitlisted candidates get their status updated ? i got no update at all!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
aniketdeb wrote:
sorry to hear that NYCfinanceguy :-(
did all the R1 waitlisted candidates get their status updated ? i got no update at all!

no update for me either
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i thought we would all be updated today,its a bit odd!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:

wow, that was one impressive effort. Sorry about the ding, but looking at this forum, it seems like lot of other people got dinged also. I am thinking that they had higher than expected yield and had to ding R1 WLers. Also, from what I have heard that after R2, if someone gets in from waitlist, its usually the R2 WLer.

Also, I think you might have ticked someone off in the adcom by doing all these things. I know sending updates is helpful, but I also think overdoing it hurt your candidacy more than it helps. I have heard couple adcom saying that if a school sense desperation in an applicant, they usually rejects him/her. The reason being, once you get into a b-school, you still face lots of waitlists/rejections during the recruiting process, so schools want to make sure that the applicant they are admitting is emotionally strong enough to let it go. Obviously, you did the best you could, but there were candidates who were lot more qualified than you were. I know it's a hard reality, but there is nothing we can change about it (As you can tell, I am on zero admit list). I will keep the head high and hope for other schools.
Intern
Intern
WE:Research (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Ding. I think NYFinanceGuy and I fell into the same trap. Here's a protip: don't be a white male coming from finance.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i still have not got any update :-\

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I know people have spoken about retaking the exam. I applied with my GRE Score and it is old (2009 July). Could that have caused my being waitlisted?
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
powerpuff wrote:
I know people have spoken about retaking the exam. I applied with my GRE Score and it is old (2009 July). Could that have caused my being waitlisted?

Only retake your exam if you think you can significantly improve your score and/or your score is expiring and you still want to apply.

That being said, being waitlisted doesn't come down to one specific factor. Adcoms as far as I know don't look at an application and say "darn, if only this person scored 10 points more on the Gmat, we would accept them". While the score (the score itself, not when you took it) could be a factor, there's also your essays, your transcript, your recs, and your interview -- all go into it.

For the record I applied with near expiring scores too and things worked out. I really didn't want to retake so I made sure Id go somewhere this year.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts