Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: How good is one Year Hult International MBA program ? [#permalink]
Hey guys, I got call from Hult Boston yesterday (21.03.2012), They have asked me to send my CV and fill the online application.

I researched about Hult Boston to a good extent. I actually read Hult's brochure, searched hult's business ranking published by some prestigious media such as Business Week, US news and World report, Financial Times, The economist, WSJ. I Found financial times rankes Hult 65th,which is indeed a feel good factor. Although Hult appears in the list of top MBA programs published by Business Week,it shows hult a non ranked school. The Economist has ranked HULT 29th in the list of top US B Schools. I could not found hult in the list of US News and World report.

My score is 530 and I did not apply to HULT. I was frequently receiving emails from HULT in past days and yesterday I got a call. I am little confused as some data looks promising about the school and other go against the same.

My major concern is fees. Complete programe cost comes around approx 90,000 USD which an exorbitant amount.

Can somebody please help me to decide next step of action???

Thanks In Advance
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
GPA: 3
Send PM
BW says the fee is $64500 and the Total Costs - $90000
Send PM
Expert Reply
Cmplkj123 wrote:
Hey guys, I got call from Hult Boston yesterday (21.03.2012), They have asked me to send my CV and fill the online application.

I researched about Hult Boston to a good extent. I actually read Hult's brochure, searched hult's business ranking published by some prestigious media such as Business Week, US news and World report, Financial Times, The economist, WSJ. I Found financial times rankes Hult 65th,which is indeed a feel good factor. Although Hult appears in the list of top MBA programs published by Business Week,it shows hult a non ranked school. The Economist has ranked HULT 29th in the list of top US B Schools. I could not found hult in the list of US News and World report.

My score is 530 and I did not apply to HULT. I was frequently receiving emails from HULT in past days and yesterday I got a call. I am little confused as some data looks promising about the school and other go against the same.

My major concern is fees. Complete programe cost comes around approx 90,000 USD which an exorbitant amount.

Can somebody please help me to decide next step of action???

Thanks In Advance

Boost your GMAT and apply to a range of programs so that you can make the best decision for yourself. This is an essential step in the application process: apply! :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi Guys.......

I got offer for SFO campus (2012)......It would be really gr8 if someone can give their feedback for this campus....
any1 joining SFO 2012 session???
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all,

I got into Hult's 2012 MBA, here's what I have experienced so far.

I applied from Asia, and Hult has a recruitment office set up in Hong Kong, and boy they took a lot of initiative with
perspective students, I was even offered a face-to-face analysis in my home country prior to me submitting my application fees.

One of my interviewer was an alumni with much experience in the marketing practice, and overall I felt the alumni had a good share of experience and is successful. One thing to note though, both interviewers were hired within the year, so I am not quite sure how this fares in terms of the staff's experience with the school. If recruitment staffs are hired by the year and are based on how their "sales in recruitment" pan out, the school's management style is indeed questionable.

One thing that bothered me in particular is their student account management, because at the time of my offer I was still waiting for the response from another school, so I decided to invest the deposit as an extension for my decision making ($90,000 on the line here). The problem came from after my deposit deadline, I tried to log into Hult.edu's account to check the finances and found my application profile complete reset, to the point where I have not submitted the initial application. This made my doubt on the school's organization jump up three fold...

If anyone has more experience with Hult please do share, I hate to say this but I think I need to research more on Hult, maybe they are not as good as they rank?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
I can see where randomguy came from with his suggestion, and I can agree that extensive advertising does make the school sketchy. I would still say to do as much research as possible on the school that reached out to you before deciding, don't chuck the schools that advertise in the "probably not worth attending" bin by default.

If you've made your info available on mba dot com, it is possible for regional elite schools to contact you, and it would be a shame if you rule them out because you've never heard them before. From my personal experience, I was contacted by St. Gallen and Vlerick Leuven Gent, and they have a good reputation in Europe, but are not as famous in the US, Canada, and Asia.
Send PM
Expert Reply
RickyC wrote:
I can see where randomguy came from with his suggestion, and I can agree that extensive advertising does make the school sketchy. I would still say to do as much research as possible on the school that reached out to you before deciding, don't chuck the schools that advertise in the "probably not worth attending" bin by default.

If you've made your info available on mba dot com, it is possible for regional elite schools to contact you, and it would be a shame if you rule them out because you've never heard them before. From my personal experience, I was contacted by St. Gallen and Vlerick Leuven Gent, and they have a good reputation in Europe, but are not as famous in the US, Canada, and Asia.

It's always nice to hear the voice of reason ;-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Began the application process to HULT Shangahi, has anyone studied there on know anything about the program??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
As someone who studied with HULT I feel I should let people know that it’s true that this school is a scam. I know someone who worked at HULT who explained that sales-people/recruiters are under a lot of pressure to recruit, otherwise they are fired – the result is that they recruit anyone and the appalling, hire and fire, corporate culture with no morals is ultimately why the school fails.

It sickens me that HULT paint themselves as philanthropists when the cash they donate for ‘the HULT prize’ is blatently used for marketing. HULT is like it’s parent company – EF (Education First), they have an immoral way of operating, trying to squeeze their customers as well as their staff for everything they’ve got, claiming charitable status and generally behaving in a dishonerable manner.

I sincerely regret attending HULT and this has been compounded by seeing how this morally corrupt organisation conducts itself.

On a positive note – I suppose they could improve but it would have to start with changing the ethos from making as much money as possible without considering quality, morals and how they treat both staff and students.

An MBA should be about learning about how to grow employees and creating sustainable, ethical organisations etc. It’s hard to hear this at the same time as studying at a morally bankrupt organisation.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
HULT International Business School is a complete scam... DO NOT be fooled by all these rankings they like to toss around.

First off, HULT is just one division of a larger corporation called EF. The HULT 'campus' is two floors of an office building. There is no real campus.

Secondly, have you noticed that they charge unbelievably high tuition and yet accept students with unbelievably low GMAT scores? This place is just a business itself, not a real school.

Also, there is no real admissions committee. They will take anybody who can pay. The information sessions held around the world are run by sales people whose sole job is to meet sales quotas and to 'get' more students. Those sales people only happen to live in cities where HULT knows it can find wealthy students who will pay large sums of money to attend a 'prestigious' program overseas.

Notice that the publicity they have, online and in print, is all staged using such beautiful people, like models. I don't know any other business school that needs to make publicity looking like a fancy magazine. Again, they are trying to appeal to people who have money. Once they have your money, and then they do not deliver. You are on your own.

This is not a prestigious program at all. Their workers are just that, sales people and office workers with fancy titles. This is not an academic program. I am very disappointed and recommend you look elsewhere.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [6]
Send PM
Some perspective from a Hult Alumnus [#permalink]
Kudos
I read through these posts, and I thought prospective students might benefit from a balanced perspective on Hult.

Let's start by establishing my credibility. I'm an alumnus of Hult Boston. I attended the school from 2010-2011, and graduated with an MBA. I got a job with a Fortune 150 well before graduation. My starting salary was just shy of six figures, and is currently quite a bit over six figures (USD).

I had a 680 on the GMAT. I was 27 when I applied for the MBA, with 4 years of work experience. I'm not going to go into the details of my work ex, since that would be sufficient to identify me personally to many people, but let's just say I had an unusual profile; not the standard engineering -> IT one that very many students from India have.

Please note that I'm not implying that there's anything wrong with that profile. I'm just saying that the nature of my profile helped me stand out, and was somewhat helpful when it came to getting employed.

Right, so that's me. Now, how about Hult?

Here's where an old adage comes to mind. You get out of Hult what you put into Hult.

What do I mean by this?

It's quite simple, actually. As others have pointed out, Hult has many flaws. Yes, it was only two floors of a large building when I attended (though I understand it's expanded since). Yes, the career services cell isn't exactly the best on the planet. Yes, the student body did have some elements that clearly shouldn't have been admitted (I'll expand on this momentarily). Yes, the recruiting process seemed very sales'y.

However, the one thing that Hult Boston has that made it all worthwhile for me? The professors. They were truly excellent.

Daniel Deneffe (Cornell PhD, taught Economics at Duke, teaches at Harvard, and is a senior partner at Arthur D Little) taught strategy, and boy, was that a great class. This guy works on billion dollar projects, and when he talks to you about game theory and how T-mobile lost a few billion euros because of a flawed understanding of game theory, you shut up and listen. Deneffe is intimidating as all hell, and doesn't stand fools gladly (or at all, in fact), and if you can go toe-to-toe with him in the classroom, you know you're doing something right.

Rob Anthony (Harvard MBA, worked for many years at IBM as a consultant) taught global management and strategic management of new technology. This guy is an excellent professor in a different mould than Deneffe. He's very friendly and approachable, and takes the Socratic approach to teaching. However, don't be fooled by his buddy-buddy manner; his grading is really tough, and he doesn't hesitate to rip your paper apart with a few well chosen notes (never in public, though).

Julie Yao Cooper (Harvard AB, Harvard MBA, worked with bigass corps) teaches a couple of introductory courses. I wish she taught more courses.. she's scary as hell too, but an excellent professor.

I mean, I could go on dropping names and fancy degrees and all that jazz, but really, these guys are great teachers who know what they are talking about. I learnt a LOT in my one year, and I do not regret going to Hult simply because of the excellent faculty. Everything else pales into insignificance, quite honestly. There was only one professor whom I didn't consider to be top drawer, and hey, there's gotta be one, right? I'm not going to name names here, because I don't want to sound like I'm telling tales, but even he would be considered a great professor by many.. I just didn't get along with him personally.

A one year MBA is VERY hard work. One common thread that I noticed among many of my fellow Indian classmates was an unfounded sense of entitlement. We know how grades are inflated in many schools and colleges in India (98.7% in the 12th boards? really?), so lots of us think that showing up to class and submitting any old paper should be enough to get an A.

US schools don't work like that. Getting good grades isn't easy, and if you feel that you can quote verbatim from Wikipedia and get straight A's, good luck! The plagiarism policy is very strict, and I personally know guys who failed courses because they thought that ripping papers off the internet was the way to go.

Hult will not get you a job. What Hult does is put you in one of the best cities in the US (and this is probably true for SF as well, though I have no personal knowledge there) to get a job. If you know what you're doing, and you know what you're good at, you can get a job. It's not easy, no. Don't expect to get 200k from Goldman Sachs with a 3.0 GPA from a mid-tier (at best) b-school, 3 years of work ex, and random no-name college for undergrad... (don't laugh, I know of at least three people who this profile were convinced that they would get interviews with Goldman. Didn't happen, of course).

You're in the middle of Boston/Cambridge. You can walk to MIT. Harvard is one T-stop (subway) from MIT. You can attend hundreds of mixers, meet 'n greets, entrepreneurship events, and what have you all over Boston, and meet some of the best and brightest minds. You can volunteer for programs at all sorts of places that get you in touch with prospective employers. I personally worked at MIT and got to meet the founder of Reddit, the co-founder of the Android OS, and Vinod Khosla. No, I'm not some kind of super cool dude... just a regular guy who was interested in things and asked questions. People here are very welcoming of being asked questions, and you never know where you might end up.

Hult Career Services will clean up your resume, but they will not go out and meet people for you. Recruiting at mid-tier schools is terrible anyway, and Hult was even worse when I was there. Despite that, many of my classmates got decent jobs. You know when you're in class and you can tell which guys are going to get hired? Yeah, those guys (and girls) got hired. Of course, some didn't. Them's the breaks. In percentage terms, I'd say about 60-70% of the class got good jobs.

Career services did help people get interviews. J&J came to campus. Phillips was there too (I think Philips conducted online/phone interviews.. I wasn't interested, so I don't remember. I do know that two of my classmates got great jobs with Philips. Both were from India, with the standard visa restrictions etc, so it's not like Philips hired only Americans.)

Look, if you can go to Harvard, more power to you. Hult is not in the same league. Heck, it's barely in the same continent. Does that mean Hult is a scam? Nope, it's not. If you go there, work your ass off, go out and meet people, and just try hard, you can make it work. If you think showing up is enough, then you're going to be disappointed.

Here are some of the companies that hired people from my batch. These are only the ones I know personally, friends of mine etc

Ernst and Young (Brazilian dude. Great GPA, 6-8 years of work ex.. smart guy.)
PwC (the guy who got in was Indian, had an excellent resume and GPA, and was a really strong candidate. Senior consultant position, I think)
Bank of Tokyo (Spanish dude got hired as VP of something.. he was older (35?) and had great work ex. Nice guy too)
EMC (Indian guy got hired as a senior something in marketing. This guy had a 3.9 GPA and straight A's (topped pretty much all the courses), so it wasn't surprising)
Swarowski (French girl, 6 odd years of work ex with companies like Cartier. I think she got hired at a senior manager level)
Philips
Citibank
Delloite
Accenture
Well Fargo
Sony
Santander

and a bunch more.. Can't be bothered writing them all.

Point is, if you met any of these people, you wouldn't be surprised that they got the jobs that they did. And of the ones who didn't get hired, you wouldn't be surprised that they didn't. Of course, a few people had bad luck, but they were really just a handful (three that I can recall).

Anyway, go to Hult, or don't go to Hult. I don't really care, I don't get paid for referring people. But make up your own mind, and no, Hult is certainly not a scam.

I hope this helps someone, and feel free to ask me questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V20
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Guys Plz help me here.
I'm just 1.7 yrs experienced in IT industry and currently working in Infosys Limited. Today I've got a call from HULT asking about my academics and professional details. They have given me an appointment for admission interview on may 20 for Sep-13 batch. First thing is I've not attempted GMAT once. I enrolled a slot for gmat on jun 6. My GPA in graduation was 2.9. Is it worth for me to join in HULT for Master of International Business course? Does this have any bad impact on my resume post MBA with this experience (v less I knw).
Plz suggest me guys. Waiting for some replies

P.s: I'm gettin a good GMAT score (lik around 680-740) in all trial tests. But only thing luring is Sep-13 batch, where I can apply to Aug-14 after giving my GMAT on June 6.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I completely agree with ReallyNow. The school is no scam, not even for a master's program. It's really worth it but you have to be clear on what you're doing and what do you expect from it. You can get the best out of it but it all depends on your approach and preparation.

I'm currently writing a blog about Hult to eliminate all the false buzz about it being a bad business school, feel free to read and comment: search for thehultexperience in blogger.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
So...I was sitting at work today and contemplating why I shouldn't kill myself. Then all of a sudden the phone rings and it's someone from Hult International Business School. Who? Hult...H.U.L.T...Hult. Uh huh!

The guy gives me a spill about the school, the many campuses...etc..and asks about my background. I tell him and he says "Well you definitely fit the criteria for Hult. Would you like me to pass on your details to an associate professor located in your city".

Man...what the hell! I had no idea that b-schools would cold call people practically offering them admissions!

I came across this thread and boy does Hult get ripped! The Economist rates it well but I have no reason why. And wiki has pretty much no info on this school.

I think I'd rather not do my MBA than do it at this place...

Just thought I'd share my experiences :twisted:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.61
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Similar for me, I am getting a call from Associate Director of Enrollment – MBA (South Asia) HULT, for the Dubai campus.
I was asked what is my work ex like and what do i do on a daily basis, how would I define myself as a leader.

I was then asked to apply (150$ application fee) for them to evaluate whether I can be admitted.

This guy was very nice on the phone, sent me a HULT brochure containing all the carrier service stats.

This guy then insisted that I apply before some deadline as the tuition fees is going to get increased.

I can't make up my mind. Any body got similar calls?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have got call from HULT, i am thinking to apply for Master in International Business at San francisco Campus. Is it Good B-school to opt ?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Hult '16 (A$)
GMAT 1: 560 Q45 V23
GPA: 1.5
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I also need some insights about HULT's Boston campus for 1 yr MBA.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3