Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: 2012-13 Laptop Discussion [#permalink]
Thought i'd post this.
After doing a lot of research I really like the Lenovo U410 ultrbook with the I7 processor (there are numerous versions, make sure it's the new I7, and that it's the ultrbook version).

It's under a grand, and while it is last years model it is still more then powerfull enough to run excel etc... Plus has a dedicated video card for games.

I'l probably be getting it for b school.
Haven't found any better alternatives in the same price league.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GPA: 3.2
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
So I deperately need a new laptop, however I have yet to decide on a program for the fall.

Assuming I buy a new PC with good specs, is there any reason I should wait to hear from the programs on computing details? Do some schools offer discounts on certain progams (Office, adobe, etc) to save me some money?
Director
Director
Send PM
DMNY31 wrote:
So I deperately need a new laptop, however I have yet to decide on a program for the fall.

Assuming I buy a new PC with good specs, is there any reason I should wait to hear from the programs on computing details? Do some schools offer discounts on certain progams (Office, adobe, etc) to save me some money?

I would hold off on purchasing office/adobe, you may get a discount through your school of choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
I'm likely going to buy a Lenovo IdeaPad U510. Seems like a good option ;)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Personally, I'm planning to keep my MacBook Pro and use Parallels or a Virtual Machine to run Windows as needed. That said, if the MBP isn't cutting it, I'd probably go with a Lenovo ThinkPad X230. Seems like a solid little laptop for the price!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
I'm a fan of 13 inch laptops, mostly for portability reasons. I will probably also get a secondary display for home in the 21-24inch range.

It would be cool to save the cash and combine the display with my TV (using appleTV or similar), but I think the resolution would probably suck.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
For the Mac guys, there are some promotions currently going on in my city by Apple's resellers who are looking to clear their stock. One interesting one is a "late-2011 model" 17-inch MacBook Pro half off. Worth it? Or if I want a Mac, should I get one of the new ones?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
westsidah408 wrote:
For the Mac guys, there are some promotions currently going on in my city by Apple's resellers who are looking to clear their stock. One interesting one is a "late-2011 model" 17-inch MacBook Pro half off. Worth it? Or if I want a Mac, should I get one of the new ones?

specs?

and pardon me for the lack of knowledge, but these re-sellers you talk about, do they sell refurbished stuff or new ones?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
westsidah408 wrote:

specs?

and pardon me for the lack of knowledge, but these re-sellers you talk about, do they sell refurbished stuff or new ones?

By resellers I mean they're part of Apple's distribution channel. In Thailand, there are no Apple Stores. Instead, there are other shops that officially sell Apple products, such as iStudio.

It's too late since they sold all their stock already. Basically they were all end of life (EOL) models.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
westsidah408 wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
westsidah408 wrote:

specs?

By resellers I mean they're part of Apple's distribution channel. In Thailand, there are no Apple Stores. Instead, there are other shops that officially sell Apple products, such as iStudio.

It's too late since they sold all their stock already. Basically they were all end of life (EOL) models.

Well, it looked like a good deal to me! Let me know if they have something like this in near future, I might travel to Thailand on a weekend - I'm sure that will be cheaper than buying stuff here! ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [1]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Just a couple thoughts:

1) I would probably wait until you see what your school tech bundles are, normally they'll be slightly cheaper than retail and may be just what you're looking for.
2) It's probably worth waiting until laptops are released using Intel's new haswell chips. These should be available (I would guess) some time this summer. The haswell chips are probably not as revolutionary as Intel would have you believe, but it's worth waiting an extra month or two for anyways.
3) If money isn't much of a concern, I think the top PC contender is the Lenovo X1 Carbon. Aside from that, Macbook Air/Pro with Parallels is a great setup as well. (The X1, Air, Pro, will probably all be released using haswell chips this summer / early fall)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
westsidah408 wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:
specs?

Well, it looked like a good deal to me! Let me know if they have something like this in near future, I might travel to Thailand on a weekend - I'm sure that will be cheaper than buying stuff here! ;)

Haha, I'm always on the lookout for deals like this. Will definitely let you know if something interesting comes up.

Apple products are generally the same price here as they are in the US if you buy from official channels.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
hi all,

i was looking at the x1 carbon and the macbook pro with retina. has anyone been in my situation? i really like the x1 carbon, but when i first saw it in person, i immediately noticed the awful screen. i think this is something that would really bother me. but at the same time, i don't want to get a mac and have compatibility issues in school?

anyone in the same boat?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
ttb217 wrote:
hi all,

i was looking at the x1 carbon and the macbook pro with retina. has anyone been in my situation? i really like the x1 carbon, but when i first saw it in person, i immediately noticed the awful screen. i think this is something that would really bother me. but at the same time, i don't want to get a mac and have compatibility issues in school?

anyone in the same boat?

I'm in the same boat, but I think I've decided on the macbook pro/air instead of the carbon.

To avoid compatibility options, I would invest in Parallels - software that lets you run windows virtually from osx. This works very well, I actually use a macbook air for work (at IBM) and have never had any problems at all because of Parallels. One neat trick is that you can install windows as a bootcamp partition (this is offered directly in osx), and then you can load that bootcamp partition through Parallels if needed, which means that you can run the same windows system natively via bootcamp or virtually through parallels and any changes you make via parallels will be reflected when you use bootcamp and vice versa.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
I'm leaning towards an ultrabook (Lenovo/Asus/Sony). Really digging the portability and battery life. Only downside is the missing optical drive. Will this be a problem or should I suck it up and get a regular laptop?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72856 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
RoyHalladay wrote:
I'm leaning towards an ultrabook (Lenovo/Asus/Sony). Really digging the portability and battery life. Only downside is the missing optical drive. Will this be a problem or should I suck it up and get a regular laptop?

I don't think you would have an issue with not having an optical drive (you can always throw it in your locker/car/bag). You will need it maybe once a semester or so and most in-class software is downloaded or distributed on a USB drive rather than a CD. Occasional CD's will happen but that's once every few months). I would not consider optical drive an issue at all. Anyone has arguments for a DVD Drive?
Director
Director
Send PM
RoyHalladay wrote:

Same here, but I agree with BB. You'll need an optical drive maybe once per semester. Maybe we can get some classmates to split the price of a usb dvd drive and share?

OR, maybe someone would be nice enough to rip the image and put it on a usb for us...

Either way, if its a hassle once a semester or not, I think its worth the portability and extra battery life.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7