Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.37
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2013 intake [#permalink]
I'm from HN too :D I guess I will pay in EUR.
It's weird that the HSG MBF topic this year is less active than last year.
Maybe people are still waiting for results from US business schools.
I took my gmat late so i can apply to only europe business schools this year :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
208.33 EUR :)) I will pay the invoice next week but won't upload the receipt until April. Hope it will be ok.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Good luck for applications to everybody.

I am applying to miqef, have a decent profile. GRE Q: 164 . Anyone is applying as well? When do you think they start to make decisions? Got that "formal vollständig" status for a while now.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
striaukas wrote:
Good luck for applications to everybody.

I am applying to miqef, have a decent profile. GRE Q: 164 . Anyone is applying as well? When do you think they start to make decisions? Got that "formal vollständig" status for a while now.

a few days or a few weeks. I think you will soon receive the decision. I haven't completed my application yet. I'm struggling with the 3-page motivation letter.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I also apply to the HSG MBF this year. My application status right now is "materielle Prüfung II ok". It seems that the app package has been sent from the general adcom to the MBF adcom.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi guys, Good luck with your applications. I am also applying for MBF and I have a question to ask, how long does my motivation letter need to be because there is a 3 page pdf template and I certainly hope I wont need to fill it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey everyone, I also applied to the MBF and got that "materielle Prüfung II ok" status for almost a month now.
Have you applied to any other places as well? I am considering Bocconi, RSM and HEC Lausanne if things dont work out at HSG. Does anyone of you have any experiences or information concerning the Finance programmes of these schools?

@kostaspamp: I am afraid I have to dissapoint you. The HSG website specifically mentions that a 3-page LoM is required for application. Although it weighs in only 10 points it can be of great help if your GPA, GMAT score or extracurriculars are not that good. I also struggled a few days with it but once you get started its finished in no time. So dont be discouraged just go for it!

@all: Good luck with your applications
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[quote="SwaG"]Hey everyone, I also applied to the MBF and got that "materielle Prüfung II ok" status for almost a month now.
Have you applied to any other places as well? I am considering Bocconi, RSM and HEC Lausanne if things dont work out at HSG. Does anyone of you have any experiences or information concerning the Finance programmes of these schools?

@kostaspamp: I am afraid I have to dissapoint you. The HSG website specifically mentions that a 3-page LoM is required for application. Although it weighs in only 10 points it can be of great help if your GPA, GMAT score or extracurriculars are not that good. I also struggled a few days with it but once you get started its finished in no time. So dont be discouraged just go for it!

@all: Thanks for the advice. My GMAT is 730 and my GPA is 8.32/10 which was the second highest GPA in my class. Also in the relevant subjects I have average grade over 8.9/10. I’m just trying to make sure that I ll get admitted :D I wouldn't want to be rejected cause of some topicalities.
I am also having trouble with the CV template. Am I allowed to customize it? Cause i want to add some seminars that i have attended and that I am a CFA level 2 candidate but there is no place for them. I know about HEC Lausanne. Its good but St. Gallen is the number 1 Master in finance in Switzerland. Also about 1 out of 6 students gets a degree from HEC the rest go home at the first exams but the admission is relatively easy compared with St.Gallen. You should also look EDHEC Ms in finance.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Guys!
I'm applying for MBF this year too, only that I still have some concerns regarding my profile.
I'm 22/female/Taiwan, have no work experience, and only scored 680 on my GMAT :"(
do you guys still think I should apply?
I do have some overseas experiences (studied in Switzerland and U.S. as a kid, and was an exchange student last year in University of Heidelberg in Germany)
and my GPA is ok, around 3.8~3.9.
The thing that most worries me is my GMAT and the fact that I am a poli sci major, I have a minor in economics (checked with the admission office, they said I could apply because I took enough courses in economics).
Also I am struggling with my motivation letter....
and does anyone know if I could add on a letter of recommendation?

Sorry for the long and illogical passage.
Hope somebody could give me a hand in answering these questions.
Thanks!!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
joanne0619 wrote:
Hey Guys!
I'm applying for MBF this year too, only that I still have some concerns regarding my profile.
I'm 22/female/Taiwan, have no work experience, and only scored 680 on my GMAT :"(
I do have some overseas experiences (studied in Switzerland and U.S. as a kid, and was an exchange student last year in University of Heidelberg in Germany)
The thing that most worries me is my GMAT and the fact that I am a poli sci major, I have a minor in economics (checked with the admission office, they said I could apply because I took enough courses in economics).

Thanks!!!!

You should definitely apply. I have heard many stories of people you got accepted in programs that were considered better than the programs that rejected them. What I am trying to say is that you never know how these things work. Besides, you have some good extracurricular activities from what I see; this should help. Best of luck with your application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I am also applying to the MBF. I haven't taken my GMAT yet though so this is the biggest concern at the moment. I am sceduled to take it next friday and am scoring in the low 700's for now on MGMAT and GMATPrep so hopefully it should go ok. You guys are rather early since the deadline is in 1 month? Do most of you speak german? Is there any german proficiency tests that need to be taken?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@ kostaspamp: with your high GPA and GMAT score you shouldn't worry... Depending on how your GPA is converted you even might have chances to get admitted directly IMO. The fact that you are CFA Level I holder (=Level II candidate?) should also add good weight to your extracurriculars so that a half-decent LoM should suffice to get admitted.

As far as the CV template is concerned I think you are not supposed to customize the format, however, adding some extra lines is ok. The seminars you attended and the CFA Level I is probably best placed under the Extracurricular activities category.

I would never have imagined that the failure rate at HEC Lausanne is that high. Where do you get this information from if I may ask? Are you from Switzerland? Do you have similar infos about HSG?
EDHEC, HEC Paris and most of the US/UK schools are out of my scope since I would have to take a student loan to finance my studies which I really do not want. And frankly, I do not believe that the comparativley high costs are justified in terms of knowledge imparted.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kostaspamp wrote:
joanne0619 wrote:
Hey Guys!

Thanks!!!!

You should definitely apply. I have heard many stories of people you got accepted in programs that were considered better than the programs that rejected them. What I am trying to say is that you never know how these things work. Besides, you have some good extracurricular activities from what I see; this should help. Best of luck with your application.

I also think you should give it a try. The 250 CHF application fee is in fact quite harsh, but your GMAT fulfills the minimum requirements so you have chances to get the admission (assuming that your GPA is on a scale of 4, otherwise it could get tight, considering HSG's pointing scheme).
Regarding the letter of recommendation, I think I read in last years forum that it is not a requirement and hence, won't be considered. Nevertheless, some applicants still submitted one. Bottom line, it's up to you. Maybe it will be considered, maybe not, you'll never know. Officially, it should be disregarded.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
I am from switzerland and can confirm that the failure rate of HEC lausanne is somewhere down does lines. The MBF however is considered a bit easier and has a much smaller rate of failure (probably also due to the fact that there is more selection to start with).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jeremystaub28 wrote:
I am also applying to the MBF. I haven't taken my GMAT yet though so this is the biggest concern at the moment. I am sceduled to take it next friday and am scoring in the low 700's for now on MGMAT and GMATPrep so hopefully it should go ok. You guys are rather early since the deadline is in 1 month? Do most of you speak german? Is there any german proficiency tests that need to be taken?

I do speak German but as far as I know there is know such test. I applied early because the MBF is my first choice and I was hoping to receive an answer by mid April so that I can apply to other programs if I do not get admitted (and save the application fees :) until then )
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SwaG wrote:
@ kostaspamp: with your high GPA and GMAT score you shouldn't worry... Depending on how your GPA is converted you even might have chances to get admitted directly IMO. The fact that you are CFA Level I holder (=Level II candidate?) should also add good weight to your extracurriculars so that a half-decent LoM should suffice to get admitted.

As far as the CV template is concerned I think you are not supposed to customize the format, however, adding some extra lines is ok. The seminars you attended and the CFA Level I is probably best placed under the Extracurricular activities category.

I would never have imagined that the failure rate at HEC Lausanne is that high. Where do you get this information from if I may ask? Are you from Switzerland? Do you have similar infos about HSG?
EDHEC, HEC Paris and most of the US/UK schools are out of my scope since I would have to take a student loan to finance my studies which I really do not want. And frankly, I do not believe that the comparativley high costs are justified in terms of knowledge imparted.

I am happy to know that you think I have good chances of admission. Getting the through the CFA level 1 exam doesn’t automatically make u a CFA level 2 candidate. I have enrolled for the CFA level 2 exam to be taken at 1/6/2013. I am not Swiss and i dont know about HSG, however I have two dear friends of mine who were accepted at HEC one at Management and one at Accounting. Both of them told me that HEC’s master in finance is considered the “artillery” of HEC and is the hardest master with about 1 out of 6 students graduating and imediate employment. Regarding EDHEC I think you should do a bit of research before turning it down. To begin with, all university students in France get a small financial aid ranging from 50 to 200 Euros for the rent (no need to jump through hoops everyone gets it). Secondly if you have the background to get in St.Gallen you might as well aim for a scholarship at EDHEC. Thirdly, the cost of life in Nice is much lower than that in St.Gallen. In my estimation If you get a decent scholarship it should be about the same cost, if not less.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey guys, I am a bit confused with the supporting documents of my extracurricular activities does anyone know whether I need to attach them at the last page of my CV or upload them independently in the additional documents section where I upload my other documents such as the GMAT score? Plz help.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts