Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [6]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Booth '15 (M)
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [2]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: The 2012-2013 Zero Admit Club [#permalink]
Kudos
NonYankee wrote:
This thread has motivated me to re-add my dings to my profile. I'll wear them like a badge of honor. As of 5 pm on March 27, I was in this club. At 5:15 I got the best call of my life.

I wish everyone the best! Unfortunately, I do feel that many on these forums tend to miss the forest for the trees.

Great attitude! After all, without trying (and failing) on your first schools, you may not have developed "the fear" that pushed you to obvious success with Booth. :-D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
NonYankee wrote:
This thread has motivated me to re-add my dings to my profile. I'll wear them like a badge of honor. As of 5 pm on March 27, I was in this club. At 5:15 I got the best call of my life.

I wish everyone the best! Unfortunately, I do feel that many on these forums tend to miss the forest for the trees.

Congrats! And nice GMAT score!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [3]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
NonYankee wrote:

Totally with you on wearing your dings like a badge of honor and people missing the forest for the trees! When I first got dinged off of the Wharton waitlist I really wanted to keep the WL just to show that I didn't get dinged right away. But then I felt like I'd be a fraud cause if I got in I'd obviously change it to Green, so it was only right to show the Red. Yeah, you may have gotten dinged, or waitlisted, but at least you tried, and that's the most important thing!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Not a zero-admit, but didn't get any schools that I plan to matriculate to. Here's my deal:

Age/Gender: 24- Male (Caucasian American)
GMAT Score/GPA : 760 (48Q, 48V) - 3.51 from a top 40/45 university according to USNews
Work Experience: [industry/years] Marketing/Communications, 3 yrs (left my job at a startup during the app cycle to do independent consulting)
Schools applied to: Harvard, Wharton, Sloan, Stern, McCombs, Columbia, Kellogg, McDonough
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] Yes, MBA Admit
#Interviews: Columbia, Kellogg, McDonough
#WL: NYU

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why? Columbia. I felt I was the best fit at Kellogg, but who knows how far I got there. I really felt like I knocked the Columbia app out of the park (upon further review after calming down I really didn't) so that one hurt.

Why the lack of success? I'm light on work exp and don't have name brand exp, also I'm not sure my highest GMAT score counted for McCombs and Sloan. Also think my essays could have been a lot better looking back.

What next? I have some momentum in my new entrepreneurial venture, so I'm going to run with that for the moment and possibly apply ED at Columbia in the Fall and reapply to Kellogg. I might bring Fuqua and Yale into the mix as well.
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Getting candidates into great schools!
Schools:Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi kmcduw,

With stats like that, you should have received some positive outcomes... Feel free to be in touch if you would like a free consultation.

Best wishes,
Dr. Shel Watts
President, MBA Admit.com
https://www.mbaadmit.com
Email: mbaadmit@aol.com

kmcduw wrote:
Let's share our profiles and thoughts about what we have done and what we can improve for the next application season.

Please provide information only in the suggested template:

Age/Gender:
GMAT Score/GPA :
Work Experience: [industry/years]
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?]
#Interviews:
#WL:

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why?
Why the lack of success?
What next?

---------------------------------------------------

In a similar vein to the "2008 Zero Admits - Where Are They Now?" thread, I've compiled the same information for the 2011-2012 Zero Admit Club:

2011-2012 Zero Admit Club - Where Are They Now?
  • canadianchamp - Duke
  • mappleby - Columbia
  • huntzman - Darden, Booth
  • str1der - Tuck, Kellogg
  • anordinaryguy
  • chromium73
  • Hizzo
  • sdd996

It's still early in the 12-13 cycle and we're already seeing some great results! Hope this gives you all some hope for later application cycles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like I'll be in this club for the second year in a row unless Sloan works out.

Age/Gender: 25/M
GMAT Score/GPA : 760/3.71
Work Experience: Public Accounting (audit) / 3yrs
Schools applied to: Harvard, Tuck, Stern, Haas (2014), Tuck, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, Sloan (2015)
Any consulting services used: Yes, Stacy Blackman
#Interviews: 2 (both 2015, 1 by invitation, 1 self-initiated)
#WL: 0

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why? Tuck. I was encouraged to reapply via a feedback offer, accomplished most of the tasks, spent $$ flying across the country to visit, and I was a legacy applicant.
Why the lack of success? Not sure. Poor interview (redeye from Seattle doesn't help) maybe? Lack of international experience? Addressed the feedback call items pretty well.
What next? Continue being a slave in an industry I don't like, I guess.
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Concentration: Getting candidates into great schools!
Schools:Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, NYU, Yale, +
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,

Your new list of schools looks sound as long as you put together a strong application and time your applications well. Don't give up hope! It would be worthwhile for you to get a good assessment of your prior application to see where you can strengthen your application and candidacy. You should also put time to work for you and strengthen your extracurricular activities as much as possible. There's a lot that can be done in the time you have before fall admissions. Feel free to be in touch if you want a free consultation.

Best wishes,
Dr. Shel Watts
President, MBA Admit.com
https://www.mbaadmit.com
email: mbaadmit@aol.com

Accepted.com wrote:
Blax0r wrote:
Age/Gender: 29 - Male (Asian American)
GMAT Score/GPA : 760 (50Q, 42V) - 3.3 from a top 15 university according to USNews
Work Experience: [industry/years] Software development/financial engineering - 5.5 years
Schools applied to: Booth
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] No
#Interviews: Booth
#WL: 0

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why? Booth - It was the only school on my list because it is by far my top choice, and I devoted all of my efforts to their application.

Why the lack of success? I likely had a bad interview grade, and not much community/volunteering work.

What next? Will go through the fall 2013 application cycle, do some community work in something I'm passionate about, and dabble in mobile app development.

LBS, Booth, Wharton, CBS, Tuck are on my preliminary list of schools. Would appreciate any suggestions (especially if I'm aiming too high).

I also don't think you are aiming too high. I do think it's a mistake to only apply to one school in the top 10. The competition is just too intense for that kind of move. As someone else said, you put all your eggs in one basket.

I think you also have to look critically at your essays and the other elements of your application to make sure you presented yourself well. If you got the interview, that's a sign that you did well enough, but if you made mistakes, you want to know about them now so you don't repeat them. (Plug alert: yes we offer ding reports.

In terms of other schools, assuming you are interested in finance, consider NYU Stern, Cornell Johnson, and Yale as well as Chicago, Columbia and Wharton.

Finally, check out our (mostly free) resources for reapplicants:

https://www.accepted.com/mba/decisions.aspx#Rejected
https://www.accepted.com/mba/reapplication.aspx

Best,
Linda
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Hey Guys,

Nice thread ... here are my stats etc:

Age/Gender: 32/Male
GMAT Score/GPA : 730/3.8
Work Experience: [industry/years]: Sustainability/7 years
Schools applied to: Booth, Wharton, Kellogg, Columbia
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] NO
#Interviews: Booth (interviewed twice once for 2012 and then for 2013), Wharton (interviewed twice once for 2012 and then for 2013), Kellogg interviewed twice once for 2012 and then for 2013)
#WL: NO

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why? Booth. In my opinion, everything went perfect. I reapplied for 2013, based on motivation from some very senior Booth admins. My interviewer offered to write a letter for me should I get WLed but alas .. not even a WL.
Why the lack of success? Not sure, I guess age and being an Indian :) ?
What next? Not sure :(

The process has been very frustrating. I have been invited for interviews from top schools both in 2012 and 2013 application cycles, but, never got any admits. I have been getting interview invites from top B schools since last two years, so, I am assuming that I am doing something right.

I would love to hear opinions/suggestions from you guys. At this point in my life, I am not sure if reapp is a good idea. I have gone through the process twice and felt both the times that I was very near to success.

Thanks for reading the post !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Just wanted to toss my hat into the ring here. Last year I went 0/3; I knew it was a possibility given I had only applied to the top schools, but it still sucked. I'm reapplying earlier this year (round 1 vs round 2), received a promotion at work, and have some new extracurriculars so hopefully it's enough to get me in somewhere. I'm also expanding my school selection - lesson learned!

Age/Gender: 26- Male (Asian American)
GMAT Score/GPA : 760 - 3.9
Work Experience: [industry/years] Consulting -> Private Equity
Schools applied to: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] Yes
#Interviews: Wharton / Stanford
#WL: Wharton / Stanford
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Age/Gender: 30/M
GMAT Score/GPA : 710/3.35
Work Experience: [industry/years] Aerospace/8
Schools applied to: Wharton/Kellogg/Haas/Chicago/Sloan
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] Yes
#Interviews: 1 - Kellogg
#WL: none

Optional:
Which ding hurt the most and why? Haas - the one I wanted badly.
Why the lack of success? Can't really point on something specific, and that's what makes this even more disappointing. I though a lot about my career goals, stories, school research - and I can't tell what went wrong, with 5 schools (!). Although I chose only top schools, I expected more interviews, and at least one happy phone call. I even payed for a ding analysis with one well known internet consulting firm, but nothing they mentioned was a major issue in my view, although many small things can still bring the same result of multiple dings.
What next? Reapplying, of course! Haas and Kellogg as a re-applicant, and I will add some other schools from a lower tier. in 2014 I'm starting a new way in business school - the question is only "which" :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Age/Gender: 26/Male
GMAT Score/GPA : 710/3.18 Undergrad, 3.13 Masters
Work Experience: [industry/years] 5 years upon matriculation/Accounting, Big-4
Schools applied to: Harvard, Columbia, Booth, Kellogg, Duke, NYU
Any consulting services used: [Yes/NO, Who?] NO
#Interviews: Duke
#WL: Duke, NYU

Which ding hurt the most and why? NYU. I was placed on the waitlist during R1 and really tried my hardest to get accepted afterward. I had a very creative essay 3 and thought this was my best application. After being on the waitlist for over 5 months I was released. NYC is definitely my goal and I will 100% reapply.
Why the lack of success? Started slow in the application process and did not put in effort on 4 of the 6 schools because I didn't believe I had a chance. Also, did not properly address the lower GPA's in optional essays. I graduated undergrad in 3 years all while having medical issues. Grad school GPA is a result of being part time and working full time to not focus on grades.
What next? Re-applying to 2 of the 6 schools and adding 3 new schools. Looking for better fit schools for me.

I would love feedback if anyone has anything to add.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Update: Got admitted to Fuqua!
Conclusion: Don't give up, even if you've encountered a few obstacles - determination is a key quality in this process!
It might not go perfect on the 2nd application or the 6th that you've submitted, but do your best, stay focused on your end goal for this phase (getting into a top business school), and keep pushing!
Director
Director
Status:My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Kudos
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
Update: Got admitted to Fuqua!
Conclusion: Don't give up, even if you've encountered a few obstacles - determination is a key quality in this process!
It might not go perfect on the 2nd application or the 6th that you've submitted, but do your best, stay focused on your end goal for this phase (getting into a top business school), and keep pushing!

Congrats mate!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Here is this year's thread. 2013-14 Zero Admit Club
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [4]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
unbounded wrote:
I dnt know whether this is a rant, or something that I truthfully want to say and share will fellow "dingers"?. I have been a silent observant on gmatclub for over 2 years now. I have taken advice/advantage of a lot of resources here, but rarely contributed, for which I apologize. But this is something I wanted to do....after I got dinged by Booth yesterday, Kellogg on Monday, and by Tuck last Friday. I have spent almost the last 2 years on things related to an MBA. Started my prep seriously in Dec 2010, with the first attempt a meager 690 followed by a 2nd attempt with a 700. While the scores weren't bad, what makes them worse is that I am an Indian.
Still, I prepared for my applications with a whole lot of zest. I spent over 6 months in analyzing my strengths and weaknesses, thought of strong points, things to mention in the essays. In July, I suffered an ACL tear and having undergone surgery in August, it was a mountain of an effort to complete my application. I just applied to 4 schools and made the sure that I gave it my very best. While my acads and GMAT score are not exceptional, my extra curriculars do make me stand out quite well, both during under-grad and the stuff I am doing now. So I was really shocked why no school would want to take me in-- I do feel I stand out well and have a lot of factors working in my favor, and I genuinely believe I have a passionate individual who has much to contribute in class.

As I brush aside the dirt and wipe the blood, I know I feel the despair, the hopelessness of having to do it all over again. I know you feel burdened by it too. But I feel that we all have this little spark inside of us. This spark that makes us uncomfortable to just sit and go through the motions at our current jobs, this spark that wants us to do better than the millions who are satisfied with their current lives.

Don't loose that spark. I know I wont. I know I do not have the option and dnt want to give up. I know that the schools that didnt take us made a big mistake. I know I am better than this... And so are you.

Hey Guys,

Its me. I finally got the call today. 3 years, 5 application rounds and 8 rejects in the making. If you are reading this, keep at it, you will get in too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.71
WE:Accounting (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
After not applying to the classes of 2016, 2017 and 2018, I gave it another go this year. Now I've been admitted to Anderson and Tuck!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
kmcduw wrote:
After not applying to the classes of 2016, 2017 and 2018, I gave it another go this year. Now I've been admitted to Anderson and Tuck!

Congratulations!!! That's a great finale with a great admit result. Anything in particular you would attribute to your success? Hard work? not giving up?
Any advice for others who may end up in your 2013 shoes?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.71
WE:Accounting (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
bb wrote:
kmcduw wrote:

Congratulations!!! That's a great finale with a great admit result. Anything in particular you would attribute to your success? Hard work? not giving up?
Any advice for others who may end up in your 2013 shoes?

I can see a few differences between my applications now and then:

1) I will be entering with 7 years of work experience instead of 2 or 3
2) Between my first and last applications, I was promoted twice at my first job, changed jobs (and came in at a higher level than the one I left), and was promoted again
3) When changing jobs, I also moved out of state (Seattle to Southern CA) and was able to use that to generate some strong essay material
4) I traveled overseas for the first time (3 weeks, not for work, but probably still helpful)
5) I used an admissions consultant who helped me better articulate the "arc" of my career story
6) In my previous Tuck interview, I didn't connect well with the interviewer. This time around I had a different interviewer who was far easier to connect with.

The key areas where my application stayed the same were my GMAT and my GPA. Obviously its impossible to change your GPA. My GMAT was set to expire 12/3/16 and it's a pretty high one (760), so I didn't want to have to take it again.

So some of that is luck, but I think the most significant factor was time. The longer you are willing to wait, the more you can accomplish.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3