Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.1
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Yale '15 (M$)
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V50
GPA: 3.72
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Law)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
overdressed wrote:
I actually received congratulatory emails from both Bruce and Chris over the weekend, which included links to the Facebook page (I've sent two requests but not yet approved) and the Class of 2015 website -- so nothing out of the ordinary or additional to what was in the admit letter. :)

I'm disappointed because I won't be able to make it to Welcome Weekend -- I'm MoH in a good friend's wedding that weekend -- but I'm hoping to make it to this week's NYC reception. I'm out of town right now, but I could potentially (with some difficulty) change plans and make it back in time for the event. Do you guys think it'll be worth it to shift stuff around to go, particularly as I can't make it to the weekend?

Are you set on Yale or are you still deciding? If you're still deciding then I think you should try to make it to the reception so you at least have a chance to meet some other accepted students and alums and to get a better sense of why people chose Yale and if that's the best option for you.

If you've already decided to matriculate then it's a matter of how much you want to meet people before arriving on campus (getting to know people, finding roommates, etc). Obviously none of that is required though so if it doesn't fit with your travel plans then don't worry about it. There's likely to be many more informal events before classes start anyways.

Have fun at the wedding!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Yale '15 (M$)
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V50
GPA: 3.72
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Law)
Send PM
aerien wrote:
overdressed wrote:
I actually received congratulatory emails from both Bruce and Chris over the weekend, which included links to the Facebook page (I've sent two requests but not yet approved) and the Class of 2015 website -- so nothing out of the ordinary or additional to what was in the admit letter. :)

I'm disappointed because I won't be able to make it to Welcome Weekend -- I'm MoH in a good friend's wedding that weekend -- but I'm hoping to make it to this week's NYC reception. I'm out of town right now, but I could potentially (with some difficulty) change plans and make it back in time for the event. Do you guys think it'll be worth it to shift stuff around to go, particularly as I can't make it to the weekend?

Are you set on Yale or are you still deciding? If you're still deciding then I think you should try to make it to the reception so you at least have a chance to meet some other accepted students and alums and to get a better sense of why people chose Yale and if that's the best option for you.

If you've already decided to matriculate then it's a matter of how much you want to meet people before arriving on campus (getting to know people, finding roommates, etc). Obviously none of that is required though so if it doesn't fit with your travel plans then don't worry about it. There's likely to be many more informal events before classes start anyways.

Have fun at the wedding!

Thanks for the great advice! As of -- literally -- this afternoon (and following a series of great chats with my grandmother and some friends), I'm almost certainly set on Yale at this point, so I guess it's more about meeting people and potentially finding roommates. (Coming from NYC, the cost of living seems pretty amazingly low in New Haven -- but it would still be cool to save even more by sharing a space.) I'm going to see how difficult it will be to change my travel plans and go from there.

Also... yay! I can't believe this process is almost... over?! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
overdressed wrote:
Thanks for the great advice! As of -- literally -- this afternoon (and following a series of great chats with my grandmother and some friends), I'm almost certainly set on Yale at this point, so I guess it's more about meeting people and potentially finding roommates. (Coming from NYC, the cost of living seems pretty amazingly low in New Haven -- but it would still be cool to save even more by sharing a space.) I'm going to see how difficult it will be to change my travel plans and go from there.

Congratulations!

I'd also add that you can always plan your own 'Welcome Weekend' by getting in touch with incoming club leaders, (the transition starts this week), or with Admissions (me). We can help plan a schedule, arrange class visits and tours, invite you to social events, and even find a place to host you for a night if necessary.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
overdressed wrote:

Why am I so amused that your wise old grandmother has helped you decide on Yale. That image makes me beam! :)

It would probably be crazy stressful, but perhaps you could come up Thursday (April 17) and then leave in the afternoon on Friday. There's gonna be dinner and a party on Thursday I believe (and if not, I'm sure OhDenny will round one up for us...haha), and then there'll be some good stuff on Friday to attend.

You're ALMOST there! :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
I am applying to SOM in round 3. Does anyone know the destinations of the 2014 international trips in Spring? They had one in Dubai in 2013, but not sure if they will go back there again next Spring.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
hailmary620 wrote:
I am applying to SOM in round 3. Does anyone know the destinations of the 2014 international trips in Spring? They had one in Dubai in 2013, but not sure if they will go back there again next Spring.

Don't think they've picked these yet. It'd be a safe bet that most of them will come from the Global Network for Advanced Management countries (I went to Japan and our trip included an alumni reception that was attended by current MBAs from our sister school, Hitotsubashi), though the UAE was not one of those countries this year, so it's possible that there'll be a couple of outliers. However, if you're including it in your application I think it's totally fair game to reference past trips. I talked about India and Israel, both of which did not happen this year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
Congratulations to the latest round admits and best of luck to the round 3 applicants and those still waiting for decisions!

The Facebook group roughly has a full-size class now. Excited to see how many more will get added to the class.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Posting this question here, too, in case anyone has feedback--thanks!

How many weeks at a minimum do you think it makes sense to leave before starting school? I don't have a lot in the way of savings (plan to take full loan offered), so I don't want to take too much time off. On the other hand, I could certainly support myself for a month or more if need be and I do want to make sure I have enough time to take at least a week's vacation (with no packing or planning), then get all of my ducks in a row and pack up and move without too much rush. I only live a few hours from Yale if that makes a difference, so I can take trips back and forth for the move.

My boss is pressing for a resignation letter ASAP so they can start the hiring process. If Yale orientation starts August 7th, around what time would you guys recommend I give for my final date? I was thinking mid-July (maybe Friday the 12th or the 19th), but wondered if that will be enough time. Thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
lb2015 wrote:

How many weeks at a minimum do you think it makes sense to leave before starting school? I don't have a lot in the way of savings (plan to take full loan offered), so I don't want to take too much time off. On the other hand, I could certainly support myself for a month or more if need be and I do want to make sure I have enough time to take at least a week's vacation (with no packing or planning), then get all of my ducks in a row and pack up and move without too much rush. I only live a few hours from Yale if that makes a difference, so I can take trips back and forth for the move.

My boss is pressing for a resignation letter ASAP so they can start the hiring process. If Yale orientation starts August 7th, around what time would you guys recommend I give for my final date? I was thinking mid-July (maybe Friday the 12th or the 19th), but wondered if that will be enough time. Thoughts?

My last day is June 28. I don't have to move, so my situation is a little different from yours, but I can't say I'm not looking forward to the break, even if some of it is just to sit in my house and read non-school, non-work related books. :)

You might also think about when your lease will start and whether you'll have to move everything in that week before orientation, or if you can manage more of a relaxed move. If you're really concerned about finances you could probably follow this timeline from the 19th, but I personally would want to have that extra week knowing how crazy the fall semester is going to be.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
skm wrote:
lb2015 wrote:

My last day is June 28. I don't have to move, so my situation is a little different from yours, but I can't say I'm not looking forward to the break, even if some of it is just to sit in my house and read non-school, non-work related books. :)

You might also think about when your lease will start and whether you'll have to move everything in that week before orientation, or if you can manage more of a relaxed move. If you're really concerned about finances you could probably follow this timeline from the 19th, but I personally would want to have that extra week knowing how crazy the fall semester is going to be.

Thanks--this is really helpful insight. I have no idea when my lease will start since I'm still not sure where I'll live yet, but I imagine August 1st is preferable. I am leaning towards July 12th for my last day. My bday is a few days later, so it'd be nice to have it off for the first time in a few years! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
I'm taking off from here in mid June to go traveling. We're using the money we would've spent on rent in San Francisco (SO HIGH) to travel. :)

I'm not sure when I'm arriving in New Haven, but will depend on housing. If we have a place, we'll move in on August 1. If not, we'll come earlier to find a place!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
I'm on a similar timeline to machichi. I'll likely leave my job early to mid June, get my ducks in a row, and move to New Haven at the end of July / August 1 (assuming the lease starts Aug 1). If I find a place that starts July 1, I could move first and then enjoy a few weeks off...either way.

I feel like July 20 would be the latest a sane person would leave their job. That gives you two weeks to move and sort things out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: Yale '15 (M)
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
lb2015 wrote:

If it's true that they're giving us assignments and online modules in advance that we have to submit by the 31st of July, then I think July 12th should be a good time to leave. That way, you can have a week off from work (and school), and then spend the next two weeks or so preparing for the hurly-burly of school pre-work (including finding an apartment, if you still don't have one by then).

Although I'm one to talk, when I plan to have my last day of work on July 31. Haha!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
I left my job on June 15 and frankly, wish I would have left in May, (I'd originally said July 1, and the amended it to June 1, and we compromised on the 15th). The summer prior is the last chance to have no obligations, see friends and family, read for fun, and spend substantial time with your SO, for at least two years. If you want to see the world, please do so, but I prioritized giving myself a month to see friends and family, and spend one-on-one time with my friends in New York as I knew I wasn't going to be able to see them until I was back in the summer. The International Experience, and my pre-trip pretty much satisfied my travel bug for the year. A good thing to think about is what weddings will occur while you're in school, and will you be able to go? If not, then propose hanging out for an extended time over the summer as a make-up.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
OhDenny wrote:
I left my job on June 15 and frankly, wish I would have left in May, (I'd originally said July 1, and the amended it to June 1, and we compromised on the 15th). The summer prior is the last chance to have no obligations, see friends and family, read for fun, and spend substantial time with your SO, for at least two years. If you want to see the world, please do so, but I prioritized giving myself a month to see friends and family, and spend one-on-one time with my friends in New York as I knew I wasn't going to be able to see them until I was back in the summer. The International Experience, and my pre-trip pretty much satisfied my travel bug for the year. A good thing to think about is what weddings will occur while you're in school, and will you be able to go? If not, then propose hanging out for an extended time over the summer as a make-up.

Thanks, OhDenny! It's always great to hear a current student's perspective. You're almost tempting me to leave a bit earlier! I have a friend's wedding on the west coast during the last weekend in June and it would be so fun to spend some extra time out there visiting all my college friends. Same as for you, the reason I'd take extra time is to visit friends and family domestically. We're all scattered over the country and we all have such limited vacation time, so it's been hard to stay in touch.

Told my boss I'd give him my letter Monday, so I'll have to spend a few days mulling it over. Maybe I can push my last day to June 28th...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Okay, I'm officially scheduled to come to Yale for Welcome Weekend! To any greater Boston folks--I am probably way too trusting of strangers I met on gmatclub, but I would be more than happy to give people rides down or back. I'm planning to leave Boston around 6-6:30am on Friday and then come back in the late morning or early afternoon on Sunday (I'm flexible though). I have an SUV with plenty of space, so it's really not a problem for me at all.

PM me if interested! Can't wait to meet more of you :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Kudos
I went to the NYC reception yesterday and it was a great experience. I'm still undecided but I scheduled my own "Welcome weekend" as previously suggested for next Thursday through Saturday. Definitely looking forward to it!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  52   53   54   55   56   57   58  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts