Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1748 [278]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [170]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [15]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [14]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as th [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
beckee529 wrote:
The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime.

(A) The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being

(B) Like the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

(C) Although like the planets the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, yet

(D) As the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

(E) The stars are in motion like the planets, some of which at tremendous speeds are in motion but

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that - like planets, the stars are in motion, but they are so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Modifiers + Verb Forms + Grammatical Construction + Comparison + Parallelism

• “like” is used for comparing nouns, “as” is used for comparing actions/clauses, and “such as” is used for giving examples.
• A comparison must always be made between similar elements.
• If a list contains only two elements, they must be joined by a conjunction.
• Semicolons or "comma + conjunction" are used for introducing an independent clause.
• "who/whose/whom/which/where", when preceded by a comma, refer to the noun just before the comma.
• Statements of universal fact are best conveyed through the simple present tense.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses the present participle ("verb+ing" - "being" in this sentence) to refer to a statement of universal fact; remember, statements of universal fact are best conveyed through the simple present tense. Further, Option A incorrectly uses the "comma + conjunction ("yet" in this sentence)" construction to join two elements in a list - the verb phrases "are in motion" and "being so far away from the Earth"; please remember, if a list contains only two elements, they must be joined by a conjunction.

B: Correct. This answer choice acts upon the independent noun "the stars" with the active verb phrase "are in motion" to form a complete thought, leading to a complete sentence. Moreover, Option B correctly uses the clause "but they (the stars) are so far away from the Earth...lifetime", conveying the intended meaning - that some of the stars are in motion at tremendous speeds but are so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime. Further, Option B correctly uses the simple present tense verb "are" to refer to a statement of universal fact. Additionally, Option B correctly uses the "comma + conjunction ("but" in this case")" construction to join the independent clauses "the stars are in motion" and "that...are so far away from the Earth...lifetime"; remember, semicolons or "comma + conjunction" are used for introducing an independent clause. Besides, Option B correctly uses "Like" to compare the nouns "the planets" and "the stars".

C: This answer choice fails to form a complete sentence; since "Although like the planets the stars are in motion" is a dependent clause, and "yet so far away from the Earth...lifetime" is a modifying phrase, the sentence lacks an independent subject noun.

D: This answer choice incorrectly uses "As" to compare two nouns; please remember, “like” is used for comparing nouns, and “as” is used for comparing actions/clauses.

E: This answer choice incorrectly refers to "the planets" with the "which" phrase "some of which at tremendous speeds are in motion but...lifetime", incorrectly implying that some of the planets are in motion at tremendous speeds but are so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime; the intended meaning is that some of the stars are in motion at tremendous speeds but are so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime; remember, "who/whose/whom/which/where", when preceded by a comma, refer to the noun just before the comma. Further, Option E incorrectly compares the action "are in motion" to the noun "the planets"; remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements.

Hence, B is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [5]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GMAT Date: 05-28-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as th [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The statements says that both the stars and planets are in motion , but since the stars are farther away from earth,human eyes will not be able to see them moving.

So,we need "but" in there to bring upon the actual meaning.Retain B and D.
Like the planets --> Compares the motion of stars with that of the planets . Correct answer :)
As the planets --> incorrect comparison as we are comapring the motion of planets with stars and not just the planets.

Kudos if it was helpful :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Are you saying "being" is not at all a verb? My wordweb dictionary reports it as a verb too
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [13]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kiranck007 wrote:
Hi,

Are you saying "being" is not at all a verb? My wordweb dictionary reports it as a verb too

Hi kiranck007,

“be” is an auxiliary verb, is/am/are/war/were/will etc. are different helping verbs in different forms.

Now is/am/are/war/were/will etc. are considered verbs but “be” or “being” juts by itself is never a verb that can complement a Subject. “being” is what is called present participle. Present participles are not verbs that can complement Subjects. For example:

The work is being done.
Joe, being a naughty boy, never finished his homework on time.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-26-2014
GPA: 4
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
beckee529 wrote:
The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being so far away from the Earth that their apparent positions in the sky do not change enough for their movement to be observed during a single human lifetime.

A) The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being

B) Like the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

C) Although like the planets the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, yet

D) As the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

E) The stars are in motion like the planets, some of which at tremendous speeds are in motion but

to me they all sound retarded...

Please explain how B is correct. Manhattan SC states that 'Like' cannot be used for comparison if there is a clause. Isn't 'the stars are in motion' a clause or am i making a very stupid mistake here
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
nityamskhurana wrote:
beckee529 wrote:

A) The stars, some of them at tremendous speeds, are in motion just as the planets are, yet being

B) Like the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

C) Although like the planets the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, yet

D) As the planets, the stars are in motion, some of them at tremendous speeds, but they are

E) The stars are in motion like the planets, some of which at tremendous speeds are in motion but

to me they all sound retarded...

Please explain how B is correct. Manhattan SC states that 'Like' cannot be used for comparison if there is a clause. Isn't 'the stars are in motion' a clause or am i making a very stupid mistake here

I think you misunderstand the Manhattan SC. You are focusing on the part that "like" is modifying, when you should be focusing on the "like" itself.

It should not be "like [clause], ...". In this case we have "like [the planets], ..." which is "like [noun], ...". Another way to look at it:

[Like the planets, the stars] are in motion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 330 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Hi -- Two questions:

Can someone explain the difference here between "like" vs. "as"? I was under the impression that "as" is used to compare clauses vs. "like" which is used to compare nouns, correct?

I narrowed it down to B and D and chose D because I *thought* that I was comparing the "motion of the stars" to the "motion of the planets". Doesn't that warrant a clause comparison, in turn, using "as" as the comparison marker?

As a + 1 -- can someone purely use comparison to eliminate the 5 answer choices, I would love to see what is being compared. I can only eliminate "C" b/c of the "although" in the front creates an awkward comparison. Was I wrong?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
russ9 wrote:
Hi -- Two questions:

Can someone explain the difference here between "like" vs. "as"? I was under the impression that "as" is used to compare clauses vs. "like" which is used to compare nouns, correct?

I narrowed it down to B and D and chose D because I *thought* that I was comparing the "motion of the stars" to the "motion of the planets". Doesn't that warrant a clause comparison, in turn, using "as" as the comparison marker?

As a + 1 -- can someone purely use comparison to eliminate the 5 answer choices, I would love to see what is being compared. I can only eliminate "C" b/c of the "although" in the front creates an awkward comparison. Was I wrong?

Hi Russ,

I think you should consider reading my post from the first page:

mmagyar wrote:
2.) We see "like" and "as" in the beginning, so comparisons are being tested. "like" needs to be followed by a noun. "as" can be followed by a noun or a subject/verb, but it is NOT a comparison if it is followed by a noun - it is describing function. Because we are comparing how the stars are in motion to how the planets are in motion, "as" needs to be followed by a subject/verb if it is used.

Don't worry so much about the meaning when deciding between like and as; instead, consider the pure structure that follows. I suggest reading this e-GMAT post: as-vs-like-correct-and-incorrect-usages-133950.html

egmat wrote:
Both ‘like’ and ‘as’ are used to state comparisons. For example:
• Amy takes care of the children in the day care like a mother. 
• Amy takes care of the children in the day care as a mother does.
Both sentences are correct. Both the sentences above convey the meaning that Amy takes care of the children “in the same way” as a mother takes care of her children.
But notice the usage here – ‘like’ is followed by a noun and ‘as’ is followed by a clause. This grammatical construction should be kept in mind.

---
In this question, all of the choices are grammatically correct for like/as. There are other meaning issues (modifiers, "although," etc.), but the meaning of the comparison matches for ABCE, so we cannot eliminate them for comparison reasons. D, however, has a comparison problem.

In D, "as" is followed by a noun, so it is telling us that the stars are filling the function of (i.e. becoming) planets when those stars are in motion. What do we mean by function? Consider:

"The student acts like a teacher" - comparison to show that the student is not a teacher, but is acting in a SIMILAR manner
"The student acts as a teacher does" - comparison to show that the student is not a teacher, but is acting in a SIMILAR manner
"The student acts as a teacher" - telling us that the student is filling the role of a teacher (not in a way that is SIMILAR to a teacher, but that the student has actually BECOME a teacher, even if temporarily)

Also, in general, the GMAT seems to like to test the meaning of a comparison much more than the actual grammatical structure. Don't worry so much about like/as and focus more on the meanings that are generated by changing the order of the words.

Hope that helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi chetan2u / mikemcgarry

Can you please explain why there is no pronoun ambiguity in B.

THEY can also refer to planets.

I am facing a lot of issue in pronoun ambiguity issues and hence I am not confident in eliminating options on the basis of pronoun ambiguity.

Please assist how can I comprehend this topic.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [6]
Send PM
Kudos