Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Other)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 3: 780 Q49 V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [2]
Send PM
Re: How do I improve in Practice Exams? GMAT is in 2 weeks. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi,

Your welcome. GMATfocus is adaptive and probably the closest to a real quant section in terms off content and difficulty out of anything available at the moment.

Other people may think differently but I wouldn't suggest non-official verbal material. It is very difficult to write and I haven't found any that I really like. There is so much verbal available in the various official products, LSAT, and GRE that I don't feel the non-official is worth it. That is why I wouldn't spend time on MGMAT verbal CAT. Use the CAT for its strength as a math challenge.

The paper tests are not adaptive but the scores do translate pretty well to the real test. I have found that the biggest issue with verbal is reading on the screen so make sure to do these on the computer.

It is difficult to recommend postponing or not. There is a bunch of excellent material that you have not yet used to study so that is one reason to postpone. I would say if you feel that you have the motivation and energy to work through all of this stuff then postponing could help you. If you feel that you really need to get this over with and will not have the possibility to stay motivated in a positive way for another month then I would power through the next two weeks and take your test as planned.

Happy Studies,

HG.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks. I bought GMAT FOCUS (3 quant sets) & 9 Paper tests from GMAT Official website.

I completed the 1st GmatFocus quant set and scored 46-50. They gave me this range instead of a hardcore score. I had 24 questions which I finished on time but I got 10 of those wrong, which I think is horrible.

I also took MGMAT CAT #4 today. I scored a 660 (Q45 V35) - This time I was able to finish both sections on time and I was checking my pace periodically at 60min, 45min, 30min and 15min. I was feeling very comfortable in Verbal and I thought I might reach near 40s but I didn't.

I feel like MATH is letting me down. I need to reach Q49 atleast by D-day. But I have read that MGMAT Math is much tougher than real GMAT.

2 questions for you:
1) When should I take my 2nd GMAT PREP exam?
2) Based on my history from last 3-4 posts, what would you recommend is the best use of my next 2 weeks, between now and real exam, to ensure a score of 720+.

Please advise. Thanks.
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi,

I would take the GMATPrep when you have time but preferably sooner than later. The last week certainly take those other GMATFocus tests, take full quant MGMAT/GMATClub Sections, and work on the GMAT Paper Tests (for Verbal). I would avoid doing MGMAT, GMATClub, or any other Non-Official source of verbal. Also, spend a bunch of time reviewing what is left in your error log. Right now is all about consolidating your knowledge and having a good test timing strategy.

Happy Studies,

HG.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks HG.

I have been doing what you have suggested. I finished another set of GMAT FOCUS for quant. I am also doing the Verbal from Paper Tests. Although I find them pretty easy.

I took the GMAT PREP 2 today - First of all I was able to complete both sections in time. I got 690 (Q49 V34). I am a little disappointed with my Quant score as I thought I aced it. But looking it at later, I realized I got 4 out of the last 5 questions wrong which must have dropped me from 50 to 49 if not 51 to 49. So that I need to be careful about. But my verbal started off bad. My first CR questions felt very weird. It was a weakening question without any conclusion and it threw me off. I got the 1st 2 Verbal questions wrong. Here is my Verbal analysis (9/11CR, 11/17 SC, 9/13 RC).

I desperately need to get closer to 40 in Verbal. That is the only way I can reach 720+. I am going to finish all the remaining questions from OG13 and Verbal Guide. I don't know what else I can do. I will also review all the mistakes I made in this last GMAT PREP that I gave.

What do u suggest for someone who is kind of stuck at 34/35 in Verbal. How to do I take it up a notch?

I really appreciate your time. Thanks again.
Tutor
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi,

Solid work on the GMATPrep. If you can push that Quant up a bit you will be 700+. For verbal, looks like the easiest place to improve is Sentence Correction. First off, I would try to keep things in perspective. Your test is soon and you can only do so much studying before it gets counterproductive. A few things to think about with sentence correction:

1. Focus on the big 2: Agreement and Parallelism

2. If you are confused by answer choices and feel like nothing is right then you probably have the parallelism wrong or have a list structured improperly (it isn't a list or it is two lists that need to separated).

3. When you can't locate a rule or are having trouble deciding between choices think about the meaning of the sentence.

Something that can help when you are stuck on whether a certain grammar structure is correct: let it go and look for something else in the sentence because there are usually multiple errors. Forward momentum is critical. One good thing will lead to another. Keep yourself working in a constructive way.

Happy Studies,

HG.

PS: If you find the paper tests easy that's great. I would keep doing them. You can also do the SC from the GMATPrep Docs and Question Pack 1.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi HG,

I gave my GMAT exam today. I got a 680 (Q49, V33). I am disappointed and want to attempt it again. I thought I nailed the Quant on the exam but ended up with only 49. I thought 50 was guaranteed after I finished Quant. More importantly I felt Verbal wasn't going too well when I was giving it. The score shows that it was a bad performance.

My scores leading up to the test were:

MGMAT 2: 620 (Q47 V29) February 24th
GMATPrep 1: 650 (Q49 V30) March 8th
MGMAT 3: 650 (Q44 V35) March 23rd
MGMAT 4: 660 (Q45 V35) March 25th
GMATPrep 2: 690 (Q49 V34) March 27th
MGMAT 5: 670 (Q45 V36) March 30th
MGMAT 6: 680 (Q48 V35) April 5th

REAL GMAT: 680 (Q49 V33) April 6th

So based on that my Verbal had def. improved and so I feel to maximize my score I should retake with exclusive focus on Verbal for next 1 month.

Please advice.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi,

Well that was pretty close to your last GMATPrep so that is good in a certain way. You were consistent. I agree, the way up is Verbal.

A few things that you can work on for Verbal this month:

1. Do all the official material available: Verbal Review, 9 paper tests, Question Pack 1, and the 10 FLTs (I would skip the RC in these), GMATPrep Docs.

2. Review your error log from the Official Guide and seek out content to strengthen any weaknesses

3. Challenge yourself with reading comprehension from old GRE tests and critical reasoning from LSAT tests.

For the GRE:

One thing that I like to do is one long passage and one short passage per study session. That way I am practicing for both types of passages. For days when you have time you could do two of these sets. For your first week do these un-timed. After the first week give yourself 20 minutes for the two passages.

For the LSAT:

Do sections of about 15 questions. I would focus on the last 15 questions (10-25 or so) because the first ten are usually easier. You can skip parallel reasoning and parallel flaw. Same as above for the first week. Then I would give yourself about 1:45 per question. One section of these per day is enough.

The GRE and the LSAT verbal are tougher than the GMAT but they are great practice. Do not be discouraged by the challenge. Learn from it.

Beyond official practice I would read an Economist article every day. And while you read think in a GMAT way: What is the main idea? How does the author support his point? What assumptions does the author make? What are the opinions? What are the facts? Also consider the grammar structures, especially parallelism.

With all of this verbal practice is super important to not just work through questions but to practice a process. A couple of critical points with verbal: Be predicting answers choices as much as possible. Understand the universe of the question before contemplating answers.

For Quant I would spend the next month working through all of the GMATClub tests making sure to keep an error log so that you can strengthen any weaknesses.

A lot can happen in a month! Let me know if you need more advice on this.

Happy Studies,

HG.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks a ton HR. I will create a study schedule soon and will try to follow the advice. For now I have decided to take a 4 day break before I restart the study sessions.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos